Trying Vegitarian, need new recipes, falling off the wagon!!

jennifermpeck
jennifermpeck Posts: 5
edited September 21 in Recipes
Hi i've been trying the vegi thing, i have been meat free for a month but i feel myself graviting back to meat again. Help! I love morning star but its really not that good for you! anyone have any good grill or stove top recipes? thanks

Jenny

ps. im vegi not vegan lol. i still like milk products and eggs!

Replies

• jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Black Bean and Goat Cheese Quesadillas

2 tsp olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup salsa
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1 (19oz) can black beans (undrained)
    1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
    1 (4 oz) pkg crumbled goat cheese
    8 flour tortillas
    1/2 cup sour cream (can use fat free or low fat)

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic - saute until translucent. Stir in beans, salsa, cumin & bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for 5 minutes or until thick. Mash mixture slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in the cilantro & goat cheese.

Spread bean mixture over 4 tortillas - top each with 2nd tortilla. Heat tortillas on a skillet (with or without oil).

Serve with sour cream, salsa, chopped cilantro.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Look up my recepie for Thai green curry. Just leave the chicken out that's what I do as I am veggie. It is low fat and so yummy!

Also do you live in the UK? If so you should try Quorn it is a great meat substitute!!
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    make a batch of vegetarian chili. I put black and kidney beans, celery, zucchini, onion, tomato and use the usualy chili seasoning. Don't even realize the meat is missing.
  • Depending on where you are, check out Gardein and Quorn products.

I eat Quorn Naked Chick'n a couple times a week and my favorite way is grilled. They have a lot of other meatless products, but the Naked Chick'n is the best, in my opinion.

Gardein had a ton of different products. A lot are just heat & eat, which I don't personally like. I do really like their Beefless Tips and Chick'n Scallopini. The Beefless Tips are chunks. You can brown them & use them in lots of recipes. I've made both the Beefless Stew and the Chick'n Pot Pies from the Gardein website, www.gardein.com, and they came out really good. I'll be trying more of their recipes.

Also, check out one of my favorite food blogs, www.101cookbooks.com, for lots of vegetarian recipes that don't generally use commercial meat substitutes. You can also download pod casts of Delicious TV Totally Vegetarian on iTunes for meal inspirations.

I've been a Vegetarian for almost 25 years. Feel free to add me as a friend & message me if you have any question.
This discussion has been closed.