Almost to goal and losing motivation

Options
Hi - I have lost 38 lbs, 28 of them with MFP. and need to lose 10 more. I have lost all motivation to continue as the last 10 are just hard to get off. I have given myself two "food vacations" of a month a piece in just the past November and February because I was out of town in warmer weather for each of those months. I changed up my food, but ate healthy, moved a lot (10,000 steps per day), and came back, having lost weight. I did not workout as hard as I do at home, but merely walked about an hour 3 - 4 times per week. I live in Michigan, so am now home and more sedentary than I was, due to the weather. I workout 5x/week, an hour at at time, and rotate between weights, cardio, bands, and many different cardio machines.

I use the MFP method. Tried the TDEE and it just didn't work for me. So I am at 1280/day, eat back my exercise cals mostly, and have gained 2 lbs. since my return just three weeks ago. I know that I am moving less due to the weather, but other than that, everything is about the same. My questions are: 1. Where did the 2 lbs. come from that I can't get off, no matter what I do since I have come back home? and 2. How do I stay motivated for the final weight loss? I am not bored with my food choices or my workout routine. I just seem to be slipping some when it comes to being exactly at 1280. 3. The oldest question on these forums: not sure whether I am Lightly Active or Moderate? When I go to Scooby's, I am for sure Moderate, but on MFP, not according to their very general definition.

I am 5'0" tall, age 67. I currently weigh 140 and my goal is 130. I was at 137.5 - 138.5 while on vacation and was at 139 before I left. Since I have changed nothing in my eating/workout routines, I can't figure where the extra weight came from and why it is sticking around. I had planned to have all weight off by the end of the summer, which I thought was realistic. Now I'm not so sure.

Looking forward to any help you can give me!

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but I took the activity level as I was at work. I feel like I am moderate or better but decided on lightly active to give a little cushion. If you're gaining tweak things a little and take a good look at sodium intake.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    "On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died." - Adlai E. Stevenson
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    "On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died." - Adlai E. Stevenson

I like this.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have lost 38 lbs, 28 of them with MFP. and need to lose 10 more. I have lost all motivation to continue as the last 10 are just hard to get off. I have given myself two "food vacations" of a month a piece in just the past November and February because I was out of town in warmer weather for each of those months. I changed up my food, but ate healthy, moved a lot (10,000 steps per day), and came back, having lost weight. I did not workout as hard as I do at home, but merely walked about an hour 3 - 4 times per week. I live in Michigan, so am now home and more sedentary than I was, due to the weather. I workout 5x/week, an hour at at time, and rotate between weights, cardio, bands, and many different cardio machines.

I use the MFP method. Tried the TDEE and it just didn't work for me. So I am at 1280/day, eat back my exercise cals mostly, and have gained 2 lbs. since my return just three weeks ago. I know that I am moving less due to the weather, but other than that, everything is about the same. My questions are: 1. Where did the 2 lbs. come from that I can't get off, no matter what I do since I have come back home? and 2. How do I stay motivated for the final weight loss? I am not bored with my food choices or my workout routine. I just seem to be slipping some when it comes to being exactly at 1280. 3. The oldest question on these forums: not sure whether I am Lightly Active or Moderate? When I go to Scooby's, I am for sure Moderate, but on MFP, not according to their very general definition.

I am 5'0" tall, age 67. I currently weigh 140 and my goal is 130. I was at 137.5 - 138.5 while on vacation and was at 139 before I left. Since I have changed nothing in my eating/workout routines, I can't figure where the extra weight came from and why it is sticking around. I had planned to have all weight off by the end of the summer, which I thought was realistic. Now I'm not so sure.

Looking forward to any help you can give me!

I, too, would like to know. I'm at the last 20, and it seems impossible.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    At your height and age 1280 plus exercise calories seems a bit high. I am 37 and 5'2" and 150 lbs and I lose at a rate of about 1/2 pound per week when I'm at 1200 plus exercise on the majority of days (with a couple days a week "off" at 1500-1600). With that said, I could go several weeks without losing and then all of a sudden lose 1.5 lbs. So, my advice is to make like Nike and "just do it" even though it's discouraging right now it will pay off eventually (you've only been stalled a few weeks). I also find that I feel fuller and am better able to stay at 1200 calories when I eat just whole foods (full fat meats, eggs, veg, etc., no grains or processed foods). Good luck!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Boy did I need to read this today. Thank you!
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    At your height and age 1280 plus exercise calories seems a bit high. I am 37 and 5'2" and 150 lbs and I lose at a rate of about 1/2 pound per week when I'm at 1200 plus exercise on the majority of days (with a couple days a week "off" at 1500-1600). With that said, I could go several weeks without losing and then all of a sudden lose 1.5 lbs. So, my advice is to make like Nike and "just do it" even though it's discouraging right now it will pay off eventually (you've only been stalled a few weeks). I also find that I feel fuller and am better able to stay at 1200 calories when I eat just whole foods (full fat meats, eggs, veg, etc., no grains or processed foods). Good luck!
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hi - 1280 is what MFP gives me at my current weight. However, I think it's high, too. I am going back down to 1200 + gym cals. I have gained now 5 lbs. in 3 weeks and am doing nothing differently except being more sedentary than I was on vacation.

I really need help with the questions in my post, i.e."I use the MFP method. Tried the TDEE and it just didn't work for me. So I am at 1280/day, eat back my exercise cals mostly, and have gained 2 lbs. since my return just three weeks ago. I know that I am moving less due to the weather, but other than that, everything is about the same. My questions are: 1. Where did the 2 lbs. come from that I can't get off, no matter what I do since I have come back home? and 2. How do I stay motivated for the final weight loss? I am not bored with my food choices or my workout routine. I just seem to be slipping some when it comes to being exactly at 1280. 3. The oldest question on these forums: not sure whether I am Lightly Active or Moderate? When I go to Scooby's, I am for sure Moderate, but on MFP, not according to their very general definition. I am 5'0" tall, age 67. I currently weigh 140 and my goal is 130. I was at 137.5 - 138.5 while on vacation and was at 139 before I left. Since I have changed nothing in my eating/workout routines, I can't figure where the extra weight came from and why it is sticking around. I had planned to have all weight off by the end of the summer, which I thought was realistic. Now I'm not so sure. "