Bikini- first

Options
So I am happy with my weight, and generally happy with the way my body looks, but... I plan on wearing a bikini for the first time (at age 33) on a girls trip to vegas in five weeks, and I am scared!!
I was hoping to bolster my confidance, and hoping that someone here could help me with these last five weeks.
For those of you that compete, or need to get ready for a photo shoot, what is the best thing I can do for my body in the next five weeks, to get the best results?
I am currently not eating at a deficit (or over), and I lift as heavy as I can three days a week (little to no cardio). I am not interested in an unhealthy, crazy intervention, just something that makes me feel like I have done everything I can do to get ready for this moment :)
I know that this is 95% mental, but hope you all understand that I would still like to do that 5% of a physical challenge for the next month. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This may seem a little silly, but you might want to consider getting a spray tan. My legs always look a little leaner when I put some sunless tanner on them. Just try not to go overboard, or you'll end up looking like a cast member from the Jersey Shore :wink:
  • scarbore
    scarbore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    great tip! spray tans are magic. highly, highly recommend
  • anna1m
    anna1m Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea- spray tan. I am from Canada, so I am pretty pasty white in the winter :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I wore a bikini for the first time in my life in public (at 41) 4 weeks ago while on vacation in the dominican.

I felt comfortable, sexy even.

It is all mental...
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

For those of you that compete, or need to get ready for a photo shoot, what is the best thing I can do for my body in the next five weeks, to get the best results?

I cleaned up my "diet", as in restricted to clean foods and water, only. No sodas, alcohol, juices or dairy. I stuck with mostly baked chicken, veggies, Greek yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, tilapia, quinoa for the last 6 weeks before a competition and/or photo shoot. That, along with some cardio and lifting weights about 5 days a week.

Enjoy your trip and rock that bikini!!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Wear the bikini for a few hours each day (even if it's sporadic) .. get used to seeing yourself in it.

Remember that there are so many people out there who wear bikinis and rock them, regardless of weight and body shape. You've got this!!

Diet-wise, avoid processed stuff, drink lots of water... essentially watch for things that may cause bloat... Start lifting. You won't get crazy results in 5 weeks but you may shave an inch or 2 off!
  • Chrissysftns
    Chrissysftns Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Drop your carbs, You'll notice a difference within a week! Don't go crazy low though..maybe drop during the week and have a "refeed" on the weekends..rinse and repeat :)
    Options
    Drop your carbs, You'll notice a difference within a week! Don't go crazy low though..maybe drop during the week and have a "refeed" on the weekends..rinse and repeat :)

unless you are prepared to forever drop carbs or want to return to the pre carb dropping state, I would disagree with this method, personally. Carbs are not the debil.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Wear the bikini for a few hours each day (even if it's sporadic) .. get used to seeing yourself in it.

I am going to try this out. I am having a similar issue because I leave for vacation in about 2 1/2 weeks and I've been planning to wear bikinis again for the first time in ages.

I posted a couple of "belly" pics of myself to get used to a bare midriff, but I actually think maybe walking around in a bikini once in awhile might help more.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I find that drinking helps me.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Try doing Jillian Michaels video "No More Trouble Zones". It is a 40 minute workout that will strengthen your butt, thighs, arms, tummy and back. If you are happy with your weight, just adding an all-over strength training workout like this may give you the results you want to see. It worked wonders for me. I did it 4 times a week and mixed in some cardio (walking, running or a cardio dvd) on my off days. Good luck to you :o)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

lol
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I second the eating 'clean' method. It is completely manageable and you will notice a major change in the way your body looks and feels.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I believe posting pic of you in said bikini would greatly boost your confidence. just sayin :wink:
    Options
    I believe posting pic of you in said bikini would greatly boost your confidence. just sayin :wink:

I second this!!
    Options
    I second the eating 'clean' method. It is completely manageable and you will notice a major change in the way your body looks and feels.

exactly. Plus, you can still have what you want, in moderation on occasion.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Remember that there are so many people out there who wear bikinis and rock them, regardless of weight and body shape. You've got this!!

Diet-wise, avoid processed stuff, drink lots of water... essentially watch for things that may cause bloat... Start lifting. You won't get crazy results in 5 weeks but you may shave an inch or 2 off!

I like this idea of wearing the bikini to get used to it - I never feel comfortable in a swimsuit, no matter what kind I wear or what my weight is - I feel like my bum is hanging out, or my stomach....I just feel weird. The tanning lotion I believe helps also - I always feel like it covers flaws or whatever.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Oh yeah... I'm soooo planning on that! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options

:drinker:

This, and the spray tan. Shell out for a high-quality spray tan, and don't get the organic, all natural one. It will come off in weird places. To avoid bloat, I'd also avoid salty stuff in the few days before your big debut, and make sure you're doing whatever you do to poop regularly. Lots of water.

Lastly, I hope you can mostly focus on having fun and enjoying the time with your friends rather than worrying too much about how your are looking! Try to stay IN your body, rather than observing it. Maybe your hotel will have morning yoga classes, or you all can go rock climbing or something to make you feel badass!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    One more thing- do you have the bikini already? If not, you might want to splurge a really high-quality one, rather than one from Target or something. There are plenty of super cute cheap suits, but a really nice suit will stay put and boost you up, doing wonders for your confidence!