Calories for weight loss

Options
So I have a question regarding how many calories I should be eating to lose weight. I know it has been asked a million times by other people. But I can never seem to find a straight forward answer. So I'm hoping that if I put in some of my numbers, that I would get a more accurate answer to my question.

So here it is. I'm a 5'9 240 pound 21 year old male. This site says my BMR is 2,000. From what I read, I should be eating at least 2,000 calories, because that's what my body needs in order to function properly. So then lets say my TDEE is 3000. BMR + Exercise and daily things such as chores, shower, brushing teeth and so on. I've read that to lose weight, you want to eat a certain % under your TDEE, but obviously do not eat under your BMR. So if I want to lose 2 pounds a week, which is considered healthy and safe for someone my size, I would then have to have a 1,000 calorie deficit . So I figured I'd eat 2,000 calories a day and I should lose 2 pounds a week since my TDEE is 3,000. Simple as that. So I thought....

Then earlier today, I read somewhere that said something like this.(Changing up the numbers to fit my situation, but still pretty close) If you eat 2,000 calories a day and burn off 1,000 through exercise and daily activities. That would leave you with a NET of 1,000 calories, which isn't enough to support your bodys functions and that your metabolism would eventually slow way down.

Now, I'm sitting here all confused and what not about how many calories I should be eating. I want to be healthy and to save as much muscle as I can, but at the same time I want to lose as much fat as I can in a safe manner. So now I'm thinking maybe I should eat 2,500 calories a day and somehow increase my exercise to make my TDEE 3,500, so then that 1,000 calorie deficit would be netting me 1,500 .

I'd really appreciate any advice. Go ahead and be brutally honest if you want too. I hope that everything I said made sense. I'm joining the Army and i'm shipping out towards the end of this year to early next year(there's not a set date yet) and I have to lose at least 30 pounds. Personally I'd like to lose 60 and get down to 180 so I can be in the best shape possible. I'm pretty sure 60 pounds in 9 1/2 months is very doable. Sorry if there's any grammar mistakes. And like I said, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Carmenbraun55
    Carmenbraun55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Look for 'In Place of a Roadmap" . There is a group out there with an awesome spread sheet, it calculates everything for you :)
  • TayNLansNGraysDad
    TayNLansNGraysDad Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I stayed around 2080 last week, and without exercising, I lost 2 pounds. I started out at 242 and I'm 5'8.