can I be covered for surgery?

Options
hey,
I've lost over 91lbs all on my own… but it has left me with a lot of skin. my doctor will not let me lose any more weight and said my overhang of my stomach will only get worse.. it hasn't been until the past month that I have started experiencing a lot of pain… it seems like it gets worse every single day. first it started with simple things like planks and pushups. then jumping jacks… and now I can't run anymore because it is the most uncomfortable feeling and it hurts so much. it feels like i have almost a second part of my body. even now getting up I'm experiencing that pulldown effect. its very stressful… I'm doing everything in my power to get rid of it on my own, but my doctor says its permanent without surgery… I don't care about the look of it… it doesn't bug me nearly as much as the pain does. my question is if I applied for a panniculectomy would they cover it? (I live in Ontario, Canada). I'm really worried that they won't.. I wouldn't be able to afford it, and then I'd be stuck with this hang.. anyone know any information on this?

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Here in USA we would call our insurance Carrier and ask, I'm guessing it works differently there.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The best you can do is call your Canada health system and ask? From looking at your profile pic your loose skin isn't that bad or noticable compared to mine from loosing 130 plus pounds. I have worked out at the gym doing all kinds of strength training stuff along with cardio and it really won't help with loose skin. Your lucky you are younger when you lost your weight. I had been obese my entire life till age 49 so my skin isn't going to snap back as well as yours did. I still do workouts at the gym but the plastic surgeon is the only way this loose skin is gonna disappear in my case and my health insurance won't cover it so it's self pay for me and just to have tummy and upper arms done it is like $13,000 so that is out of the picture! I'd like to have other parts worked on too but the grand total is around $50,000 and I don't have that kinda money just laying around so for now I just continue to workout loose skin and all.
    Good luck!
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Here in the US it's 50/50 if the insurance would pay for it. We talked about it during the prep for gastric bypass, the only time they could get it paid for is if it was causing health issues like infections or something.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I remember reading online somewhere (so take it with a grain of salt) that Canadians could get it for free if they lost 100 lbs).

But your body will tighten up for up to two years after losing. So I'd personally check out free options but hold off spending my own money until I knew my skin had adjusted as much as it would.

Oh, and in the mean time, just wear really tight work out clothes. Holds everything in place. That's what I did when I was heavier and the fat jiggling hurt while exercising.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think if you can get your doc to endorse it they might cover it - until then I would suggest some tummy control underwear to see if that would alleviate some of the discomfort. I am Canadian btw - I am just guessing but if it is a health issue sometimes a doc can recommend it.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Buy a control garment. They help a lot with jiggly pain
  • jrfit79
    jrfit79 Posts: 30
    Options
    I believe if you have skin chaffing and if it caused you to be depressed it is covered in Ontario.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor or the proper professionals about it as well as your insurance provider (or your parents if that's the case). I'm not sure about the exact rules or anything, but someone I knew in high school was "diagnosed" (not sure if that's the right term) for depression based on her lack of chest volume (boobs), and was covered for breast implants... (I'm in Ontario).

Like I said, talk to the professionals and see what insurance covers or if there's any way to have it covered.