carbs

Options
I've noticed that all the carbs I like are loaded with calories. Are there any healthy substitutes to satisfy my cravings for rice, pasta, and bread?

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OK, leading question: What's "unhealthy" about rice, pasta, and bread?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, 1 gram of carbs is 4 calories. What are you talking about?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, 1 gram of carbs is 4 calories. What are you talking about?

x2....

what?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Seriously, people? It's not hard to figure out what the OP is talking about. One cup of spaghetti noodles is 220 calories. For some, that might seem like a lot. I say for the amount it fills you up, it's worth it, and I am definitely able to still eat pasta, but acting as if this person is an idiot for thinking carb-heavy foods tend to have more calories than other foods (like fruits, veggies, etc) is pretty ridiculous.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that all the carbs I like are loaded with calories. Are there any healthy substitutes to satisfy my cravings for rice, pasta, and bread?

Carbs have calories
    Proteins have calories
    Fats have even more calories....calories are fuel....our bodies need fuel.

Are you looking for a list of high volume foods? High volume usually means high fiber.....green veggies perhaps. Not really a substitute for bread.

I like rice too....and I still eat it.....I just make sure I measure it out. Bread....I still eat bread....however whole grain has more fiber and protein than white bread. A couple slices a day is enough. Pasta, again I measure the portions. Whole grain pasta is available too.

There are "substitutes"......not very good (IMO).....such a cauliflower "rice"...............cauliflower "breadsticks"...........zucchini spirals for "pasta"....or spaghetti squash (this is actually ok to me). But I don't see me eating these "substitutions" for the rest of my life.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There are some substitutes out there but most won't satisfy your craving and they taste like crap (see: Shirataki noodles). The best part of me joining MFP was learning portion control and this is where it comes in super handy. You can still have pasta and rice. Portion out the amount that fits into your calorie goals and just eat that. Part of losing the weight and keeping it off successfully is learning to eat "normal" sized portions.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Seriously, people? It's not hard to figure out what the OP is talking about. One cup of spaghetti noodles is 220 calories. For some, that might seem like a lot. I say for the amount it fills you up, it's worth it, and I am definitely able to still eat pasta, but acting as if this person is an idiot for thinking carb-heavy foods tend to have more calories than other foods (like fruits, veggies, etc) is pretty ridiculous.

For my part, I said it was a leading question. The idea is to shine some light on the idea of calories being inherently "unhealthy". I've lost a lot of weight eating rice, pasta, and bread. They provide fuel for my exercise and they are delicious too. The healthiest foods aren't necessarily the least energy dense.

OP, I would suggest that you work on reducing your portion size. A cup of spaghetti is about 220 calories, yes. But some marinara sauce doesn't add much, and neither does a green salad with a little vinaigrette. A cup of cooked rice is about 240 calories: have one cup and add some stir fried chicken and broccoli.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The carbs I like are Mikuni Flat Slides

mmmmmmmm carbs

smoothbores.jpg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat something like pasta, there really is no substitute. The only thing I can say is cut back on your portion size, and at least make a nutritionally sound decision about what kind of pasta you eat. I mean, at least eat whole grain or vegetable pasta.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a substitute, but making your choices of the high fiber variety won't hurt.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, I just had to get portion control right, I was eating way too big a serving of pasta, rice, potatoes etc. I still eat all of those things, just a smaller plateful. You do get used it to pretty quickly.
  • fitandGLAM
    Options

This
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

This

I'm not quite as smart as the both of you.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The carbs I like are Mikuni Flat Slides

mmmmmmmm carbs

smoothbores.jpg
    Ha!

OP, There are really no substitutes for those foods with less calories, but like has been said, adding a salad or steamed greens or some fruit to your meal will help give you some bulk, without adding a lot of calories.
  • tlr1961
    tlr1961 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm here to learn how to eat better and healthier. So, at first I regretted asking the question, due to some responses. But you guys know what...thank you, I learned alot from the answers. I learned they are okay and I learned what I am having trouble with, is learning portion control. I got alot to learn and I hope my questions won't be perceived as dumb. I've been living to eat and now I want to eat to live. Also this site suggested I do 1200 calories a day, and I'm having a hard time with that.
  • Bagelsan
    Bagelsan Posts: 49
    Options
    I'd have a rough time with 1200 calories myself; I eat more like 1500. If you set your weight loss goal to 1/2 lb per week how many calories are you supposed to eat? It's possible you're trying to lose too fast.
  • tlr1961
    tlr1961 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that's what I was thinking. So, I will do that :smile: