Baking holiday treats

Options
I'm trying to find some low-calorie/carb options for my favorite holiday goodies. I punched in all the ingredients for the pumpkin bread I make every year and also for chocolate chip cookies - WOW! No wonder I got fat! Anyway, looking for alternatives for the sugar, flour and oil that won't radically alter the taste. Any ideas? I was thinking of using something like truvia instead of sugar. I know some people use applesauce instead of oil but does that change the taste dramatically? Any ideas or suggestions would be great. I love to bake but realize I must trim the calories and fat content of some of these goodies if I'm going to continue to enjoy them.

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    There are many on several websites:

www.hungry-girl.com - she has cookbooks too
    www.skinnytaste.com
    www.3fatchicks.com
    www.cookinglight.com
    www.eatingwell.com

Check out a number of substitutions posted last week on message board and at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/122302-recipe-ingredient-substitutions
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am curious myself. I've been trying to bake healthier without much success. I've baked stuff with the "lighter bake" prune substitute and didn't really care for the taste it added to it. I've been wondering about stevia baking and I know there are recipes on purevia and truvia websites although I have not tried any. I have come up with a no-bake peanut butter ball that is MUCH healthier than the original....

Take some whole unfloured dates and run them through a food processor, add peanut butter, chopped nuts, and purevia. You can basically add whatever you would like to this mixture as long as you end up with a good consistency to roll a ball. I've tried variations with almond butter, dried cranberries, and even added some chocolate protein powder at one time. Leave the mixture in the fridge for a bit to make it easier to roll. Once you have them rolled melt some dark chocolate (the darker the better for you) and dip each ball. Cool in the fridge and enjoy!