How do you maintain the weight, without losing control?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been on MFP for 3-4 years now. Have lost around 30 kg (66 lbs).
I initially lost about 20 kg (44 lbs) in a year or two, then gained back around 10 kg (22 lbs) when I stopped logging (and gave up) for about a year, then I returned and lost the remaining 20 kg (44 lbs) in the last couple of years.

I have now been trying to maintain my weight for about 8 months. I have accidentally overshot, and lost another 4-5 kg (9-11 lbs) in that time. But then I have also tried increasing my calorie limit more on occasion, and I have started to gain (although I haven't done so for very long, because I've immediately reduced my limit again!) Someone told me I looked 'gaunt' the other day, which horrified me.

I used to be 86 kg (190 lbs) but am now 56 kg (123 lbs). I am 172 cm (5'8") tall. I wouldn't mind being up to 58 kg (128 lbs).

I really want to stop losing weight, but I don't want to lose control. I know calorie-counting is not something I want to do forever, but I'm taking 'baby steps' towards an MFP-free life one day. I have enough experience with gaining, losing, regaining and re-losing weight to know that I am not yet ready to relinquish all control over my eating and exercise.

TLDR:
My big question is this... How do people accurately and successfully maintain their weight? I have heard about people using FitBits to determine their TDEE accurately - and then eating back all of the calories. I like this idea - does anyone have any stories about their experiences with this? Or other methods?

Replies

• funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Great question - and one that I totally relate to.

I am the same height as you, started out at 70kg, really only wanted to lose about 5kg to reduce the 'pudge' around my belly. After counting calories for 3 months I reached that weight, but continued losing until I got down to 53kg, I stopped counting when I was around 60kg. I stayed at that 53kg for nearly a year, not counting any more and thinking I was eating lots - baking and cooking lots etc.

I started thinking I might be gluten intolerant, and when I cut out gluten I actually went up to 56-56kg without really changing the amount that I ate. Then I did the gluten challenge so I could have gluten in my system for the proper tests and shot up to 58-60kg (I really enjoyed my hamburgers, pastas, etc during that time - the tastes, not what it did to my body!). After the test I went back down to about 56kg but then Christmas hit and I used baking as a stress-release (family issues). Now I'm struggling to get back to around the 56-58kg band.

I have been told that 53-54 kg is definitely too gaunt-looking for me, but I find it difficult to be happy at 58kg.

I'm back calorie counting to make sure I get enough ... but then I still have the issue of being close to the goal and end up not eating enough, and then making up for it when I bake and eat lots.

Sorry I can't really help, but thought you might like to know there's someone else going through similar things! One way I guess you could look at my journey is that I've maintained around 56-58kg for over 12 months (with only a small blip during the gluten challenge!). Hope this encourages you?
  • andyrh525
    Options
    I'm afraid I am also going to have this problem. I'm about to reach my goal weight. Losing the weight hasnt been that hard, but I know that maintaining will be very hard. It's been proven that it is harder for a person to maintain a weight after he has lost a significant amount of weight. My plan is to set my settings to lose 1 pound per week (i've had it at 2). I don't think I will start gaining weight if I do that. So I'm gonna add 500 calories per day to my diet. Hopefully that works.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining here on MFP for almost three years now (within a range of 1-3 pounds up or down depending on "Time of the Month.") I still log, but take days off for holidays or backpacking trips, etc. I plan on continuing to log for as long as this site, or one like it, exists. It's easy, most of the stuff I eat is already in my frequently used foods list, and it's a habit now like brushing my teeth. Totally worth the effort to maintain my awesome results. I would not have a problem doing this for the rest of my life.

If you really hate the idea of logging for eternity (which is kinda fun for me, personally, as well as being a good way to track things like calcium, fiber, protein and other important nutrients to make sure my diet is well-balanced), then take a break when you hit goal. Just pay attention to your body and hop back on when you need to. In other words, do your best to self-monitor, and as soon as you find your clothes getting tighter or the scale starting to go up, get right back on MFP. Don't wait until you've already undone all your hard work and gained everything back. It's always so sad to me to hear stories of people working really hard to achieve their goal and then just letting it all go again. It must be so demoralizing.

The way I "accurately and successfully maintain weight" is simple. I am set to sedentary and I eat at maintenance calories PLUS exercise calories, if I earn them. I don't use TDEE because my TDEE changes from day to day - I don't have a consistent fitness routine and I don't want to drive myself crazy recalculating my TDEE all the time. When I first went on maintenance, I had to spend a couple of months figuring out the right maintenance calories for me. I kept slowly losing instead of maintaining. After experimenting a bit, I ended up needing about 100 calories more than what MFP gave me. Once I found that sweet spot I've just stayed there ever since.

Good luck, OP! :flowerforyou:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    The reason you have started to gain is because when you start eating at maintenance, your body restores your glycogen levels. It's completely normal to 'gain' around 5lb when you switch to maintenance.

This thread explains it beautifully:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071202-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut?hl=why+you+gain+when+you+eat+more+than+your+cut&page=1#posts-16471120

You need to up your calories to your suggested maintenance and stick at it. 5lb is not going to make a difference in your appearance, and it's not healthy to obsess over a few lb.
  • DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You might try regulating your weight a bit more with exercise and a bit less with diet/calorie counting. Keep at the portion control as much as possible. We know by looking at the servings now if they seem larger. Also figure out what your splurge triggers are and how to accommodate them. Cookies and cakes here are a no-no as I would eat everything but my husband can't leave fresh bread alone-I can have a slice and walk away. I calorie count because it is easy for me but will trend over to more portions and less calorie counting as time goes on. Working out a lot has caused both of us to have more stable weights as we have lost and gotten to maintenance.
  • DiKoehler
    Options
    My plan is to set my settings to lose 1 pound per week (i've had it at 2). I don't think I will start gaining weight if I do that. So I'm gonna add 500 calories per day to my diet. Hopefully that works.
    Wow adding 500 a day seems a lot--more like 100 a day and see what happens then adjust from there. I went 50 at a time and am still adjusting.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    The way I "accurately and successfully maintain weight" is simple. I am set to sedentary and I eat at maintenance calories PLUS exercise calories, if I earn them. I don't use TDEE because my TDEE changes from day to day - I don't have a consistent fitness routine and I don't want to drive myself crazy recalculating my TDEE all the time. When I first went on maintenance, I had to spend a couple of months figuring out the right maintenance calories for me. I kept slowly losing instead of maintaining. After experimenting a bit, I ended up needing about 100 calories more than what MFP gave me. Once I found that sweet spot I've just stayed there ever since.

This is very helpful! I have been struggling with maintenance (working on getting back to my goal weight), and have been reading the posts on here so that maybe this time it won't be such a struggle!
  • These_goto_11
    These_goto_11 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining here on MFP for almost three years now (within a range of 1-3 pounds up or down depending on "Time of the Month.") I still log, but take days off for holidays or backpacking trips, etc. I plan on continuing to log for as long as this site, or one like it, exists. It's easy, most of the stuff I eat is already in my frequently used foods list, and it's a habit now like brushing my teeth. Totally worth the effort to maintain my awesome results. I would not have a problem doing this for the rest of my life..

I agree, I love logging on. For someone like me, I choose not to eat the office birthday cake because I will have to log it, and when I'm walking the dog, I go a couple extra blocks then I can log it! Having to log it, and then look at it really changes my perspective of things!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am a logger, so don't know this from personal experience. However, my sister is currently taking a course on doing exactly what you hope to do at the Emory Medical School. The goal is to develop long term healthy eating habits and to maintain weight (or lose it). They do not log. They focus on mindful eating and other strategies.

The two books they are using for the course are The Beck Diet Solution and the Appetite Awareness Workbook.

Small plates and visual cues for portion size as well as awareness of macro composition of their diet (carbs under 40%, 30% protein, 30% fat) are other parts of a sustainable, no logging strategy

She finds it helpful. I haven't tried it. I thought I'd pass it on.
  • DiKoehler
    Options
    I posted to my blog-we are both reaching maintenance and having a bit of trouble making the transition. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DiKoehler/view/increasing-to-maintenance-is-hard-to-do-643754
    Let me know what you think.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Set your goals on here to maintaining your weight, set the current activity level
    If you do any exercise, eat maybe half the exercise calories back since your body will need the energy.
    Its all trial and error with maintaining, just dont restrict, treat yourself every couple of days to prevent binges :) just try and make healthy choices, goodluck