calling all ladies who lift

Options
Hello,

I was once one of those ladies fearful of lifting weights. Well you guys convinced me to try it, and now I need more direction. How much are you eating, lifting, etc. Give me what you got. I've been lifting for about 2 months, up to 30 pound barbell, 40 dumbbells, just tried 50 pound barbell today. Thanks in advance, give me what you got...

lately I've been doing 20 minutes intense cardio, 20 minutes lifting about every other day...

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    How much you should eat depends on your stats and your goals. Do you want to gain strength / muscle eat in a surplus, do you want to lose fat eat in a moderate deficit.

How much you lift depends on you again. Lift enough to make it difficult, up every time it gets less difficult. Make sure you got good form before you go up in weight.

Have a look at the new rules of lifting for women, starting strength, Jamie eason's life fit for beginners routine and some ideas on how to eat...

I'm not sure whether any of this touches on your questions but I'm unsure I really hot the question...
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I agree with 89nunu that much about your intake depends on what your goals are. Regarding lifting: what are your goals with that and what program are you currently doing?
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    DiaryOfaThickFitWoman Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    No programs and I'm trying to lose weight, not gain.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Find a beginner lifting program (stronglifts, starting strength, new rules, etc), do it, keep eating at a deficit, and understand that it will take time.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    New Rules for Lifting for Women has a calculation to determine how many calories you should eat based on your age, weight, height and activity level. Also check out Scooby Home Workouts website, they have calculators that will calculate the number of calories you should eat also, it is also more forgiving than the 1200 calories MFP gives you. Also has lots of information about lifting.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Find a beginner lifting program (stronglifts, starting strength, new rules, etc), do it, keep eating at a deficit, and understand that it will take time.

This

I like Stronglifts..it's free and there is a great summary here in this group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I've been lifting for 6months eat on average 1700 calories a day, weight training is 3x a week, HIIT is 2x a week on my off days.

Not only does it make you strong but you lose fat...not muscle (as long as you keep your protien up)
  • RoxyBaroque
    RoxyBaroque Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do splits of;
    Shoulders and Triceps
    2x Leg days
    Chest and Biceps
    Core and back

I just picked the exercises I thought looked most fun from bodyuilding.com! They have some really great articles on there. I change up my program once a month. My goals are just to be more awesome than before - gaining weight/losing weight isn't as important to me as how confident being strong makes me feel!
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi I do strong lifts love it, only started a few weeks ago and love it, can really see changes already :-)
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My numbers - lifts

deadlift - 221 5 sets of 5
    squat 177 5 x 5
    Haven`t done any bench presses in a while - it was hovering around 130lb last time I worked it

I do a lot of heavy kettle bell work just because I like it - I can snatch a 53lb bell for 7 reps and clean and press a 60 - I can swing the 95lb bell

My goals at the moment - increase my squat - i would like to get to 200lbs - and I am working on competitive kettle bell snatches ( very high reps with the 35lb bell ) - which is more a form thing than anything - but some of my work outs are focussed on supporting that

I am eating to lose weight - I try and get a lot of protein and I do supplement that with a shake at night

My advice - if you are serious about lifting and are able get a good trainer / coach
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's going to be different for every single woman.

Find your TDEE on a calculator like Scoobysworkshop. If you want to add muscle, you'll have to eat at least at TDEE. If you want to lose fat while lifting simply to maintain or even make some newbie gains, then you can eat at a slight deficit. Never more than 15% in my opinion or you'll risk losing muscle/bone, etc.

Make sure you read up on proper form and practice at home with just the bar before adding weight to certain exercises that could injure you if not done properly, like big compound lifts, etc.

New Rules of Lifting
    Strong Curves (my favourite)
    For a video series: Cathe Freidrich STS
  • stakoc94
    stakoc94 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There are lots of beginner programs online. Just search around and then choose/modify one to get you started. Glad to here you are not afraid of lifting heavy.

I agree with others stick with a program and when weights are no longer difficult on your last set of reps then its key to up your weights.

There are split sessions, push/pull, etc. Just find something "beginner" like, give it a week or two and if its just too easy maybe search again for a more advanced program.

Everyone is different and trains differently. Your diet will play a big role in your workouts.

Happy Lifting!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Do not compare yourself to my numbers, as I have been doing heavy lifting programs for over a year.These are my current PRs.

Deadlift - 250#
    Benchpress - 115#
    Overhead Press - 85#
    Squat - 195#
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is read and pick a program. There are lots of them out there. Stronglifts is FREE on the web, so probably the easiest to just go ahead and read and start.

Of the newer programs, Strong Curves is great.

I also advise you to get on EXRX.com. You will find information on strength standards based on your weight, articles on why lifting is beneficial to women, and why women don't need to do a program that is different from a man's. What you should lift is based on your own weight, age, and anatomy, so don't rely on someone else's numbers. Find your own.

Lastly, once you have done a basic program for a few months, start incorporating accessory lifts. There are tons of them on the web (e.g., a glute workout program, a program that helps with delts, etc. to tweak areas you want to reshape; most women think glutes).
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html
    This is a good place to start - Jamie Eason gives you a few phases of workouts and sample menus. I agree work out your TDEE and if trying to lose weight eat at a minimal deficit on lift days and a bit higher deficit on non-lift days.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Do not compare yourself to my numbers, as I have been doing heavy lifting programs for over a year.These are my current PRs.

Deadlift - 250#
    Benchpress - 115#
    Overhead Press - 85#
    Squat - 195#

Impressive!

mine are

Deadlift - 150
    Benchpress - 95
    Overhead Press - have not attempted yet
    Squat - 45 (working on form)
    Leg Press: 250
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Started lifting, now in week four of New Rules of Lifting for women. Lat pull down 2 reps of 15 at 65 lbs. Squats with weight 2 reps of 15 at 65 lbs. Lunges 2 reps of 15 (each leg) at 15 lbs dumb bells. Arm raises 15 lb dumb bells 2 reps of 15. Deadlift 65 lbs at 2 reps of 15. Calories depends on your goal and activity. I'm still trying to figure out how to loose weight while lifting. I've lost 74 lbs and have 26 to go. Been at a stand still for a while.
  • jilliangetsit
    jilliangetsit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This post has me PUMPED! I've just started lifting in the last month and my New Rules of Lifting is on the FedEx truck for delivery right now :) I can't wait to get home and tear in to that book!!! Cheers!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Deadlift - 250#
    Benchpress - 115#
    Overhead Press - 85#
    Squat - 195#

Impressive!

mine are

Deadlift - 150
    Benchpress - 95
    Overhead Press - have not attempted yet
    Squat - 45 (working on form)
    Leg Press: 250

I agree impressive.

Deadlift 200lbs
    Bench 115lbs
    OHP 85lbs
    Squat 175lbs
    Rows 115lbs

OHP seems to be the hardest for women...I can hardly wait till I break into triple digets..
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    DiaryOfaThickFitWoman Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls. Do you think what I'm currently doing is enough?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!