Elliptical: Yes or No?

How effective is the elliptical for weight loss?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Weight loss is about calorie deficit.

Elliptical is cardio exercise, which can help create a calorie deficit.
  • smyrnist
    smyrnist Posts: 9
    Hi, as far as I have experienced it is more fun for me than running on the treadmill.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    To me, exercise is more about fitness and health than weight loss. If you are doing it to create a calorie deficit, then sure, elliptical should assist with loss. Personally, I don't do it because it bores me.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    I like doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) on the elliptical. If I did it on the treadmill, I would probably hurt myself from a running injury trying to max out my heart rate during a work interval.

The elliptical is safer for me, and it's easier to reach a high heart rate than on the treadmill. You could also use a step stepper or exercise bike if you want to do the HIIT stuff, and save the treadmill for the lower intensity stuff. Of course, some people like running and know how to do it without incurring an injury.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    I love the elliptical for a quick calorie burn and I find that out of all of the equipment it is the most effective for me. I can get 120 calories or so burned in 15 minutes. Keeping in mind that's based upon my own personal stats. But yeah... that's the machine I started out on and I stick with it.

But remember, it's important to do a variety of exercises too :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I love the elliptical. I can't run due to osteoarthritis in my knees, so it is the next best thing. It helps work your upper body as well.

But it only works as part of an integrated program of fitness and dietary management. It's not effective ipso facto, but it is a good tool in your arsenal.

Per cushman5279 I get a burn of about 9 kcal/min, but I push it pretty hard.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    I can't use the ellptical machine because of my knees. I loved using when my knees where good and they did a good job getting your heart rate up. Just don't use elliptical machines as your only exercise. Your body will adjust to it and it won't be as affective.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    I like the elliptical...easier on my knees than the treadmill, and a lot of the year here it is too hot to walk outside very much. I agree that we need to change it up now and then...do other exercise, and vary your workout on the elliptical too...faster, slower, intervals...