Changing my relationship with food

Options
Hi,

I'm a little new to this and I've only just discovered that I have a bad relationship with food. I know it's difficult to change or break a bad habit, so I'd like to replace my bad relationship with a good relationship with healthy food. Does anyone have any super juicy tasty healthy food that they get excited about? Please share if you do.

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Cabbage...
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy"...
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Can of tuna + 1/2 cup of cottage cheese + squirt of mustard = delicious protein
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Steak, cooked rare.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have changed my relationship with food, too, and now we're friends!

Some of my tasty healthy foods are:

Brie and other full fat cheeses
    Fruit, all kinds, I love fruit
    Sweet potato mash, potatoes, spaghetti, barley, or rice, with
    pork chops, chicken, or beef, and
    peas, asparagus beans on the side
    Banana chocolate peanut butter smoothie (milk, yoghurt, peanut butter, cocoa powder, banana)
    Nuts
    Salmon, mackerel, herring
    Cream (whipped and used in hot cocoa or with fruit)
    Raw vegetables: carrots, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas
    Oatmeal with butter
    Creamed vegetable soups with our without cream or coconut milk
    Tuna or ham mixed with finely chopped onion and mayonnaise, delicious on crispbread
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    ProjectYummyMummy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oh yummy! I can see that as something to get excited about.

I have changed my relationship with food, too, and now we're friends!

Some of my tasty healthy foods are:

Brie and other full fat cheeses
    Fruit, all kinds, I love fruit
    Sweet potato mash, potatoes, spaghetti, barley, or rice, with
    pork chops, chicken, or beef, and
    peas, asparagus beans on the side
    Banana chocolate peanut butter smoothie (milk, yoghurt, peanut butter, cocoa powder, banana)
    Nuts
    Salmon, mackerel, herring
    Cream (whipped and used in hot cocoa or with fruit)
    Raw vegetables: carrots, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas
    Oatmeal with butter
    Creamed vegetable soups with our without cream or coconut milk
    Tuna or ham mixed with finely chopped onion and mayonnaise, delicious on crispbread
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    Options
    Define "healthy"...

300-400 calorie meals; balanced nutrition
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    There are no 'good' and 'bad' foods. That is part of a poor relationship with food. When we classify a food as 'bad' we give it power over us. It becomes a temptation and something we focus on and crave.

Basically, if it fits within my calorie goals and macros, I will eat it. Since I am focused on getting enough protein and not too many carbs I don't eat a lot of empty calories, but if I crave a piece of cheesecake or pizza I will find a way to work it into my goals for the day. Rather than craving pizza, resisting and binging when I finally have some, I work to fit a slice into my calories for the day.
  • brandi_kae
    brandi_kae Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My new favorite food to eat and try out new recipes with is spaghetti squash. I have a chicken and spaghetti squash Alfredo ready to put in the oven tonight, and it only clocks in at 197 calories per one cup serving.

Spaghetti Squash, cooked (mine ended up being 1 pound, 10 ounces)
    1 jar roasted garlic Alfredo sauce
    1/2 pound shredded chicken

I mixed those three ingredients together and sprinkled ~1/4 cup parmesan on top.

That's it! And super low cal. I can even have 2 servings and not feel guilty about it! I hoping it turns out and yummy as it looks :)
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    Options
    My new favorite food to eat and try out new recipes with is spaghetti squash. I have a chicken and spaghetti squash Alfredo ready to put in the oven tonight, and it only clocks in at 197 calories per one cup serving.

I mixed those three ingredients together and sprinkled ~1/4 cup parmesan on top.

That's it! And super low cal. I can even have 2 servings and not feel guilty about it! I hoping it turns out and yummy as it looks :)

I love it!
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    Options
    I like your theory, but for me: my current favorite foods do not fit into my daily calorie goal. The foods I like the most can cause me to blow my calorie count in just one meal. That's why I love these posts about yummy healthy food. I used to live for breads, especially French and Italian, and anything with sugar in it. So I'm looking for food options that can get me just as excited as they did.

Thanks so much for the tasty food options so far, guys.
  • brandi_kae
    brandi_kae Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash because I can eat a nice healthy portion of it and feel satisfied.
  • SlenderSelah
    Options
    I traded white bread for the wholemeal variety, white rice wirh brown, maize flour (forr pap) with millet and plain pasta with wholewheat and now I can't go back. My tastebuds resist the absence of fibre... Wish I could do the same with oreos and candy...
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Tillapia and Salmon! (Much lower in cals than chicken but the same full feeling)
    Tuna on Gluten Free Corn Crackers + Miso Soup (find it in packages at health food stores)
    Plain Greek Yogurt + Thawed Whole Strawberries Chopped
    Eggs - What CANT you do with eggs !! Making an omelette and inserting raw veggies + a small amount of feta/goat cheese is tasty
  • EveyRose
    EveyRose Posts: 74 Member
    Options

This sounds super nummy, will have to give it a try
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Try to look at the overall balance of your diet. Are you getting the nutrients you need? Are you full and satisfied? If so, eat the foods you enjoy without guilt. (And hey, even if not - there shouldn't be guilt involved!) Try not to look at individual foods as "good" or "bad" but look at the nutrients you're getting. You may want to limit certain things if you have a medical condition, allergy or intolerance, and you should limit trans fats. Otherwise, eat the foods you like and where you see something that you're not getting enough of - eat more of it.

That's how I overhauled my diet. Not by cutting stuff out, but by eating more of things I wasn't getting enough of. Eating more foods that are higher in protein, and more fruit and vegetables. I've ended up eating more oily fish (I LOVE pan fried salmon with veggies), a lot more vegetables (so many different ones to try), a wider variety of carbs (buckwheat, quinoa, barley etc), Greek yoghurt, lean meats like chicken & turkey, nuts and seeds etc. I have pasta, pizza, pies etc... but I've also learned which foods/meals make it easier to hit my nutritional goals, and which make me have to work a bit harder to fit everything in.

I'm now confident that I get enough of the macronutrients (carbs, protein, fats) and micronutrients (vitamins & minerals) that I need, so I'm able to also enjoy my favourites - toast with real butter & marmalade; mature cheddar cheese; glass of red wine; chocolate. Those kinds of foods aren't the priority, so if I don't have calories to spare, I don't have them. But if I do, I do.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I like your theory, but for me: my current favorite foods do not fit into my daily calorie goal. The foods I like the most can cause me to blow my calorie count in just one meal. That's why I love these posts about yummy healthy food. I used to live for breads, especially French and Italian, and anything with sugar in it. So I'm looking for food options that can get me just as excited as they did.
    And honestly, learning to eat those kinds of things in moderation has been one of the best things I did for my diet. I'm not saying that to men that everyone can do it, or you should feel bad for cutting things out, but I truly believe that a lot of people can learn moderation who don't think they can. I never believed it was possible, but with practise it has been. That's been a vital part of changing my relationship with food. Sure I love bread and sugar and could eat it all day, but I don't need to, and I'd rather know that I can eat some, enjoy it, and then save the experience for another day than think I'm never going to be able to "trust" myself around that kind of food again.
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    Options
    And honestly, learning to eat those kinds of things in moderation has been one of the best things I did for my diet. I'm not saying that to men that everyone can do it, or you should feel bad for cutting things out, but I truly believe that a lot of people can learn moderation who don't think they can. I never believed it was possible, but with practise it has been. That's been a vital part of changing my relationship with food. Sure I love bread and sugar and could eat it all day, but I don't need to, and I'd rather know that I can eat some, enjoy it, and then save the experience for another day than think I'm never going to be able to "trust" myself around that kind of food again.

What awesome words! Thanks so much.
  • MillyPoo125
    Options
    Sweet Potatoes! Cut them very thin (like chips) and place on a cookie sheet at 350-400 and cook for about 20 minutes (flip at 10). They become crunchy and so wonderful!

I also love protein- diced girlled chicken breast. 4 ounces with a slice of laughing cow cheese and hot sauce mixed in. Delicious!
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm loving :

1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
    1/2 serving jello fat/sugar free vanilla pudding mix
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    Splenda
    Cinnamon

Tastes JUST like rice pudding I swear! Only 100 calories too!