Is exceeding my Carb limit going to hamper my weight loss?

Options
Almost everyday my carb limit is exceeded sometimes from 10 to 50.Is this gonna hamper my weight loss or anything?

Replies

• mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    No. Exceeding your calorie limit will.
  • oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I was worried about the same thing...all week I was over on my carbs and a bit low on protein, but pretty much right on with my calorie goal....but I still lost my usual pound per week. I only track my carbs/sodium because my BP is a bit high and I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Since I rarely eat high sodium packaged food anymore and get most of my carbs from fruit, veggies, whole grains, I am still losing weight even when I go over my carbs for the day.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No. As long as you're hitting your calorie goal, you're fine.
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Firstly, as other posters have said, only excess calories create weight gain.

So why have a "limit" at all, you might ask? Rather than actually being a hard ceiling, the number is a generall recommendation for the average person, but there is great variety individually when it comes to what macros work for you.

One factor is satiety (fullness). My mother is extremely carb-centric in what gives her energy and keeps her full throughout the day, but my father feels quickly hungry again after carbs and has had success with a low carb diet -- I'm a happy medium between the two, unsurprisingly! So if all those carbs aren't making you snack happy, go for it!

Another factor is medical. People who are diabetic or pre-diabetic should take direction from their doctor about how many and what type of carbs to consume.

A possible worry is squeezing out other nutrients -- eating carbs in abundance isn't particularly problematic, but if you've used all your calories on carbs and don't have any left over for fats or proteins, the lack of fat and protein do have some problematic consequences!