Has anyone tried Blogilate's 90 day food challenge?

Options
Were you successful? How were the results? Did you stick to it the whole 90 days or did you slip up and have some cheat foods in between?

I decided to try this out as a last ditch effort to lose the fat on my tummy and cut out all non-clean foods from my diet. I'm kind of hesitant though since the diet looks very restricting.

Replies

• Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love Cassey Ho, but I can't eat like her! Way too joyless for me. After me and my partner spent an evening scrubbing burnt-on cauliflower pizza (which was delicious, btw) off a baking sheet we realised we'd never be as dedicated to super-clean eating as others are!

Why not try a few recipes out, and incorporate the ones you love into what you eat regularly. All-or-nothing approaches are usually a recipe (see what I did there?!) for disaster.

Oh, and start lifting heavy :wink:
  • ainokea8
    ainokea8 Posts: 95
    Options
    You're right, it's totally joyless, and I think it's gonna be a tough ride because I'm a total foodie. But the last time I just stuck with what i usually ate (but at smaller portions), I lost overall weight but I wasn't losing the stubborn tummy fat. I guess because i was still eating processed foods and sugars. I don't have the equipment or gym access for lifting at the moment, so I'm thinking this is my only option :to eat clean and do some cardio/pilates.
  • Samby_v1
    Options
    Have a look around the forums for real, in depth reasons to lift. I'm also at my last few pounds to lose and also have an evil tummy. If you do it just with cardio you'll look like you, but a bit smaller (i.e. your belly will still be out of proportion) and you'll be losing lean, metabolism-boosting muscle mass with the fat. Once you get down to your goal weight you may be 'skinny fat' and have very little muscle definition to show for all your efforts.

I now look at it from a body fat perspective - I'm currently around 25%, aiming for 20%. Google images for 'body fat percentage' and you'll see what I'm talking about. However, if you lift, weight may not come off the scales but the inches will come off the tummy. You will burn fat on rest days, as your muscles repair and strengthen. Most importantly, you like eating - if you just diet and cardio, losing the muscle along the way, your metabolism will get slower and slower, requiring you to cut more and more calories to lose weight, at which point the Blogilates 90 day food challenge may be the only way to get to your goal weight... Others have put this across way better than me, but the good news is if you lift heavy you can eat more!

I'm am poor and I work out at home with an adjustable kettlebell, and instruction vids from Daily Burn (free for 30 days, $10 per month after that). They also have bodyweight workouts. I'm planning to do the workout in New Rules of Weightlifting for Women once I'm at 20% body fat and at maintenance. Insanity is hugely popular here, and I'm sure if you ask around there are plenty of people working out at home with no gym equipment.

Sorry if this is patronising or if you've heard it before, but if you're where I think you're at, you're going to have to think seriously about resistance training!

Edit: As long as you're eating at a deficit you'll lose weight. I'm losing weight pretty much eating what I want within the my calorie deficit. I go over on sugars almost every day!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I love Cassey Ho, but I can't eat like her! Way too joyless for me. After me and my partner spent an evening scrubbing burnt-on cauliflower pizza (which was delicious, btw) off a baking sheet we realised we'd never be as dedicated to super-clean eating as others are!

Why not try a few recipes out, and incorporate the ones you love into what you eat regularly. All-or-nothing approaches are usually a recipe (see what I did there?!) for disaster.

Put your crust on parchment paper and all is wonderful. :D
  • Samby_v1
    Options

Put your crust on parchment paper and all is wonderful. :D

Yes, I went and bought some after the event! I remember getting a fresh cauliflower was much more expensive than frozen, so then we had all this frozen cauliflower that wouldn't fit in our pathetic excuse for a freezer compartment, then endless microwaving in a vain attempt to lose the water....

I'm sure all that time and effort was worth a Pepperoni Domino's...

Edited because I can't spell.