Im deflated today

Options
I have been so pumped up and ready to do this weight loss thing and for the last three weeks I have sticking to my diet and doing power walks almost everyday till I hurt so bad I want to cry, been doing some sit ups and no sweets or junk food...I got on my scale today and just want to cry...it says I gained 2 pounds...and no inches lost....I know longer feel excited about this...:sad: what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You will have ups and downs! Are you eating your calorie limits? Make sure not to dip below what MFP recommends...your body NEEDS nutrition! Also, it could be a variety of things..you could be gaining muscle (which is GOOD), you could be retaining water...etc etc. Just keep at it. Remember, you are so much healthier doing all the right things than giving up and sitting on the couch eating ice cream...no matter what the scale says! :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes, it sucks when the scale doesn't move, but weight loss is a strange, tortuous road. Keep at it, keep the faith! As the poster above says, you're healthier like this, even when the scale isn't moving. For some reason my inches haven't moved for a few weeks, but the scale has; at times, neither change.

You're in this for the long game. Stick to your guns.
  • grdad
    grdad Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Keep up the walking. After taking 4-5 hour long jogs a week for over a month, I didn't lose any weight. However, my legs looked so much better! It's about how you look and feel not the number on the scale.
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Keep going love!!!!
    So I don't know anything about your diet or lifestyle other than what you wrote, but as someone mentioned t's probably water retention. So when you start exercising, what happens is that your muscles need more glycogen. But for every gram of glycogen stored, there's about 3-4 grams of water stored with it. So you're doing nothing wrong! Just be sure to watch your sodium intake and eat healthy carbs and keep doing what you're doing!
    You'll probably end up losing like 5 lbs in a week soon due to the woosh effect ;)
    Just keep going don't be discouraged!
  • slither
    slither Posts: 8
    Options
    the only thing I don't do is eat the extra calories they allow me when I do my power walking...I thought if I didn't use them that I would surely lose weight...
  • slither
    Options
    thank you everyone...I am feeling better....at least I stopped crying ...:)
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you have lost 217 lbs. Is that accurate? If so, holy sh1t...that's amazing!! And it clearly shows that you know how to endure the long haul weight loss. Just keep going.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Awwwwww... keep your chin up! I have been fluctuating around the same weight since December, but I feel stronger and look better. The scales are not your friend and they only tell part of the story. Keep doing what you are doing and put your scales away for a month. Take all your measurements and notice how you look and how your clothes feel - you are doing great, stick with it!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Good luck~ Dont give up, slow and steady wins the race!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are being as accurate as possible logging your foods. Weigh all solids and use measuring cups and spoons for liquids. If you know you are eating under your calorie goal, then that gives you the confidence to ride out these frustrations.

Body weight can change as much as 5lbs in a single day due to variations in water. Hormonal changes can also influence weight lost. Most women tend to retain water at one point in their cycle or another.

Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you will eat a deficit and lose less than the deficit predicts. Other weeks you will eat the same deficit and lose more than the deficit predicts. I prefer to focus more on the behaviors - accurately logging food and exercise. I know if those two things are done, the weight will come off.
  • Gray_Sare
    Gray_Sare Posts: 21
    Options
    Just keep pushing! You could be retaining water or any number of reasons! I fluctuate 2-3 pounds every morning. Double check your numbers (calories in, calories out, bmr, etc) and keep up with your exercise. Switching up your routine could help too :)
  • slither
    Options
    No....I don't know how to change that...I haven't lost any weight yet
  • slither
    Options
    I just changed my settings...it shows no weight loss..
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, you may get some better feedback. But without that info

Are you weighing all your food and measuring all your liquids?
    What is your weight loss per week set at? Do you need to change it up or down for a few weeks to see if that make a difference?
    Are you taking measurements?
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time with the same type of clothes?
    Are you eating high sodium foods that may cause water bloat?

There are numerous posts on here about people who don't lose for weeks and then, boom, a 3 lb loss (or whatever it may be).

Don't get discouraged. This weight loss thing is a process and sometimes that process is a bit bumpy.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Don't lose hope! Please keep going. You could be retaining water!! When changing your diet and exercise habits, it sometimes "shocks" your body.
  • sqabhobho
    Options
    That sounds just like my life right now. Nothing seems to shift on the scale and I just want to curl up and weep but don't give up. I won't if you don't.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I wish I was ! Deflated, that is. :bigsmile:

Keep at it. You could be gaining muscle while losing fat.

A few things that help me (a lot):
    1. Low-ish carbs (cut out bread and rice and such) , especially in the morning.
    2. Don't eat snacks in the evening after dinner.
    3. Drink a lot of water
    4. Drink tea instead of coffee
    5. Avoid alcohol :frown: Or minimize it, anyway. Yes, sad but true, it helps. I think drinking helps the body hold onto fat.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Don't fret!! It could be anything from water retention too much sodium, to pms. I stalled for about two weeks. This is a TEMPORARY set back. Stick to your guns, keep walking, make sure you're weighing and measuring EVERYTHING you put in your mouth. Stick to whole fresh foods, Drink at least 10 glasses of water to flush your system. You can do this!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    It's not all going to happen overnight.
    Two pounds could be water weight.

I haven't entirely cut out sweets, treats, whatever...
    I try to eat what I like in moderation (also plenty of nutrient-dense things) because I'm not punishing myself for gaining weight, I'm trying to lose some body fat and to do that, we need to be in a calorie deficit.

Edit: changed to body fat because.
  • Msmith1992
    Msmith1992 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I was losing my weight for the first time, the scale only showed my progress once a month. I would workout and obey the 10 eating rules and no result. But when I did it for four weeks, that 4th week was the trick. I lost weight. Keep your chin up. Make sure you are not eating too few calories, Need to stay above the 1200 per day to make sure your body does not go into starvation mode.