Need a little pep talk

Options
Hi. I am... ugh. I'm doing fine diet wise. The issue is not that I'm cheating and I'm going to gain weight and I need someone to hold my hand and make me stop eating.

The issue is that my cats are out of cat food. And I fed them tuna and chicken, so they should be okay. But you know how cats are, if the bowl is empty they're insane. So they're being extra cuddly and shooting me the kitty-cat sad eyes, and they're all grumping at each other and trying to scavenge scraps of food from the bits of plastic they find around the apartment.

I hadn't planned to start exercising yet, but I'm restless. There's a store across the street. (And by across the street I mean .7 miles away from the house, with some twists and turns.) I thought it would be an excellent walk. I'm excited to walk, and want to eventually escalate to running. My dream is to do a 5k at some point in my life. Hopefully the near future. The weather is a little warmer than it has been. 47°F to be exact. (I've done my research for this walk.)

The cats will get their food whether or not I go on this walk. The original plan was to pick it up a bag when I got my husband from work.

I know that this walk will probably be very beneficial for me. It will give me a sense of accomplishment. The sunlight and fresh air will do me good. As will the exercise. It will probably lift my mood considerably. And I won't have to look at the pathetic begging faces.

Here is why I hesitate. I have bad ankles, and there aren't any side walks around here. The edges of the roads are slanted, and it kills even my husband's strong ankles to walk down them. I can walk in the middle of the road, but there is A LOT of traffic between here and there. Another thing that I worry about is my back/hips. Sometimes when I walk I get a pinch that becomes really bad. It can happen when I'm walking from one end of my small apartment to the other. It can happen when I am cleaning too vigorously. Sometimes it's in my hip, like right up in the joint almost, and sometimes it's in my lower back right in the middle. I think they're unrelated. But it's a 50/50 chance whether it decides to do this. And I'm very worried about getting halfway there and then it happening, and having to trudge back with the pain. And still have the upset kitties.

I don't feel like I should let this prevent me. I feel like... the kind of strong person I want to be would push through. It's not that far. I really don't feel like it's that far! But I'm just scared. I really don't want to hurt myself. I'm in pain a lot, I don't want to add to it.

Replies

• jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If u are really worried about the pain returning while walking dont go, your kitties will be fine till your hubby comes home and u said u fed them some chicken and tuna so they are fine!
    Now if u really want to try it, just go very slow and take it a bit at a time if you feel like u are not doing well go back home before u get half way there. A bit of walking will be good for you but you dont want to injure yourself and then not be able to walk at all.
    You are more important than the kitties! Ive had kitties and they will survive without cat food for a day.
    Walk around the apartment for excersize if you want ...sev laps around and you may feel better.
    Hang in there, cuddle with your kitties!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    The little buggers won't starve if they miss a meal ....... but if I could, I'd send you some kitty food :smile:
  • mforsis
    mforsis Posts: 41
    Options
    "Patience my heart thou hast suffered worse than this". Ulysses It's what Ulysses said when he was facing his trials on his voyage back to Greece. (in the book by Homer)

When I get scared of doing something new this is what I say to myself.
    I suggest you write it out and pin it to your fridge.
    Then, dress extra warmly and get out in the fresh air. Repeat it like a mantra while you are walking. Block out all other thoughts
    Let me know when you get back. I will cheer like you have just completed a marathon

All the best
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Ok, first of all, there is no Snooze button on a hungry cat. Second, if you want to take the walk consider the road. You said no sidewalks, is this a 4 lane main road, 2 lane residential? If residential, put on something bright colored and walk where you can see traffic. I know you are supposed to walk with traffic but I always hated not knowing what was coming up behind me. At the very least you can step off the side of the road while an oncoming car passes you then carry on. Just be CAREFUL.
    If you want to do a 5k, get to training, its just a little over 3 miles and you can do it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to do a little yoga (you can find all sorts of youtube or online videos to go along with), as it is easier on the joints, and leave the kitty food until your hubby gets home. Maybe you could find something to distract the kitties with, too? Playing with them is sure to burn calories! I wouldn't chance the walk if it makes you that nervous, not without the contingency plan of if someone could come get you if you seriously hurt yourself, or a phone to call for help, etc. There are excuses we make, and there are genuine concerns. To me, personally, this sounds GENUINE! Good luck. :-)
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    There are excuses we make, and there are genuine concerns. To me, personally, this sounds GENUINE! Good luck. :-)

Thank-you. That is what I'm struggling with. Am I making an excuse or is it a legitimate concern? I used to take a water aerobics class on Wednesdays, I really should get back into it. But I don't know how much 1 class a week was doing for me. :( I can't afford to go more often. My apartment is very small and crowded, so yoga is difficult. I have ddp yoga but nowhere to do it. (Yeah, this excuse may fall into the non-genuine category. But I really do feel claustrophobic in here.) Maybe I will pick my battles and the DDP yoga will be the battle I chose, coming up with a way to do it in here.

Lol @ no snooze button on a hungry cat! They really aren't starving, they're well fed spoiled brats.

Everyone's encouragement is very helpful.

"Patience my heart, thou hast suffered worse than this." Is a fantastic mantra. I will adopt this one, too. It has a deep meaning for me, because there have been many trials in my life worse than this. Walking around my apartment building is something I have considered for quite some time. It would be a good first step, you're absolutely right.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ok, first of all, there is no Snooze button on a hungry cat. Second, if you want to take the walk consider the road. You said no sidewalks, is this a 4 lane main road, 2 lane residential? If residential, put on something bright colored and walk where you can see traffic. I know you are supposed to walk with traffic but I always hated not knowing what was coming up behind me. At the very least you can step off the side of the road while an oncoming car passes you then carry on. Just be CAREFUL.
    If you want to do a 5k, get to training, its just a little over 3 miles and you can do it.

I don't know if the laws are different where I am or what, but here you bike with traffic and walk against it. It's what I've always done.
    So OP, I think you should go for it. It might hurt but you'll feel accomplished when you get back and your kitties will be so happy.
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well, my kitties got fed. I picked up cat food like the original plan. Tomorrow I will take a water aerobics class. I must go, or else I will disappoint myself (and I'm going to pretend like it will disappoint you guys for added pressure. :P)