Filling breakfast ideas?

Options
I only get 1400 cal/day from MFP, so ideally I would like to eat a filling breakfast to carry me through until 1 or 2 p.m. I can have lunch then, and eliminate the need for afternoon snacking until dinner. I'm on a tight budget here. :-D

Replies

• M22KY
    M22KY Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    "Breakfast" foods (e.g. cereal, oatmeal, eggs, etc.) do not fill me up so I usually have dinner for breakfast. My favorite is steamed chicken breast with brown rice and mixed veggies.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have found a breakfast with some Protein and Complex carbs hold me over the best. I usually will have some Oatmeal, Fruit and hardboiled egg whites along with my daily cup of coffee.
  • Nancy33333
    Nancy33333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I cook regular oatmeal (Quaker Oats) in the microwave for 90 seconds (1/3 cup oats, 2/3 cup water), and then stir in 4 egg whites and cook for about 90 seconds more (check the consistency--it can vary from very creamy to thicker, and choose the consistency yo like--by cooking a little more or a little less). I go on the savory side and add soy sauce, chilli flakes, and some green onion, but instead you could add some fruit (berries, chopped apple, etc.) The oatmeal and egg whites are around 175 calories, and then fruit would be 50-80 more. The protein will help carry you longer.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    What works for me most days is 30 gr or so each of a good granola, 2-3 different berries and 125 grams of Yogurt . comes in at 229-300 calories depending on the variables (which fruits which granola even which Yogurt) Usually around 245
    I eat this almost daily at 6 am and then eat lunch anywhere from 11-1 depending on the day in between i just have black tea and water
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I usually mix a banana, flax seed, quark (curd cheese) oat meal and some chocolate sprinkles. This keeps me full for 4-5 hours.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Protein and complex carbs together (with some healthy fat) will carry you the longest. Veggie omelettes, oatmeal with nuts and berries, that kind of thing will usually keep you going!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I only get 1400 cal/day from MFP, so ideally I would like to eat a filling breakfast to carry me through until 1 or 2 p.m. I can have lunch then, and eliminate the need for afternoon snacking until dinner. I'm on a tight budget here. :-D

Protein, fat & fiber

Yogurt mixed with fruit, chopped nuts, and high fiber/high protein cereal. Kashi GoLean is high protein & high fiber.....Original Special K is high protein.....Original Fiber One (store brands are cheap)...is high fiber. Greek yogurt is going to give you way more protein...but with higher protein cereal....regular yogurt will suffice.

Oatmeal made with milk (for protein), add chopped nuts for fat

Eggs are filling....protein & fat.....add a high fiber wrap or English muffin
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    with less than 10 lbs to lose, go back and change your setting to .5lb per week... lessen the restrictions and have some food. I like eggs and cheese in the morning.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have settled on 1/2 cup of good old Quaker oats. I can buy about three months supply for about six bucks at Costco. I do the 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1 cup of water and a pinch of salt. Add in 1/3 cup of tree nuts (walnuts) and microwave for about 3 3/4 minutes - stir once, add in 1/3 cup of fresh blueberries and you have a cheap meal that will take you till lunch. Comes to about 450 calories. And no sugar!
  • KMichaels99
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the great ideas!

rsclause: lol....I meant I am on a tight calorie "budget". :-D

trogalicious: I think I will do that. So what if I only lose .5 lbs a week? I'm still losing, right? Thank you.

And wow with seeing all of the weight loss tickers....congratulations! Very inspiring to me. :)))))
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the great ideas!

rsclause: lol....I meant I am on a tight calorie "budget". :-D

trogalicious: I think I will do that. So what if I only lose .5 lbs a week? I'm still losing, right? Thank you.

And wow with seeing all of the weight loss tickers....congratulations! Very inspiring to me. :)))))

You could always add some exercise to "earn" more calories. Personally, I exercise for snacks.:wink:
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've been making crustless spinach quiche; I have enough for the week, so I take a slice and put it in the microwave. I also have green tea with 1/2 packet of sugar and I am full for a good few hours.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    1 egg scrambled with 2 tbsp. salsa, then add a tbsp. of 2% fat plain Greek yogurt on top. The protein and fat keeps you filled up, with a little carb to provide some initial energy. This is <200 cal, but I will then have a midmorning graze (~100 cal) of almonds or fruit.
  • gale1089
    gale1089 Posts: 67
    Options
    I do oats and egg whites... but I make mine chocolatey and add in fiber cereal, puffed wheat, and pb2.

20g Oats - Cook 1 min 30 sec
    138g Egg Whites - Cook 2 min 30 sec

Then I add almond milk.
    Vanilla, Maple, Banana Extract.
    Cinnamon
    Pb2
    10g Chocolate Fiber One Cereal
    10g Puffed Wheat
    10g High Fiber Trader Joes Cereal

SO GOOD! and so filling. It's my favorite meal for sure.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been making crustless spinach quiche; I have enough for the week, so I take a slice and put it in the microwave. I also have green tea with 1/2 packet of sugar and I am full for a good few hours.

That sounds delish....I might have to make a crustless quiche this weekend for next weeks breakfasts :D
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with pb2 and a green smoothie. keeps me going all day.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You could always add some exercise to "earn" more calories. Personally, I exercise for snacks.:wink:
    This. When I was losing I would go so far as to jump on the elliptical for 30 minutes so I could eat a little more in the evenings. The more you exercise, the more you get to eat. Also, double your water intake. Literally. It helps keep you full and many times your body mistakes thirst for hunger. Drink lots and lots of water. I try to drink at least 3L per day, more if I work out.

As for my favorite breakfast, I like to go with omelettes and breakfast burritos. A couple of eggs, some turkey bacon or sausage, cherry tomatoes, spinach, kale, some salsa, and sprinkle of shredded cheese for about 300-350 calories is a good way to start the day.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites (from carton = 46g 25 cal) with spinach, mushroom and onion on a piece of Pepperidge Farm thin bread (abt 40 cal) - with a 1/2 slice of pepperjack cheese (abt 50 cals) - I eat about 8 a.m. and don't go to lunch until 1 or 130. It's low cal and seems to keep me full. It's noon now and I'm still not hungry.
  • mgurley11
    mgurley11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do steel cut oats with almond milk and a few blueberries and a hard boiled egg. I make a big batch of steel cut oats in the crock pot and use it for several days. 1/4 cup dry steel cut oats (serving size) makes a lot! This actually keeps me full - of course it helps if I stay busy too. I tend to want to eat when I'm bored.
  • StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've done different variations of healthy "egg muffins.." Google it and check out some recipes. I'll make them on Sunday and eat them warmed up or cold in the mornings before work.

I also have made breakfast smoothies that keep me full for hours. I usually blend up a cup of strawberries, a banana, a cup of almond milk and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Bonus - if you add a bunch of ice and let the blender run a few minutes, the serving is HUGE and you can sip on it a good part of the morning. :)