What is the Best Protein Powder???

Options

Replies

• DulceNovia
    Options
    I eat Paleo and finding protein that is not whey or soy can be tricky...I use Vega Protein....90 cal, 15 - 20g plant protein per scoop, 1-4g sugar. I mix with 1 cup almond or coconut milk (unsweetened) and 1 c water (as i don't like it to be too thick)

Several flavours to choose from...can be mixed in a blender cup, or used in a real blender smoothie.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight and get enough protein in my diet -not lifting weights and bulking up - I use Tera's Whey, Isopure and Nutiva Hemp protein powder.
  • SynapseAP
    SynapseAP Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As others have said be careful about "cheap" whey. Often times the nutritional profile is not that good for cheaper wheys. Once you find a few flavors you like just keep an eye out for sales and load up a bunch, most whey lasts at least 12 months at a time.

I do shakes with my whey (with skim milk) so keep that in mind for my opinions below. I've never done baking with whey or made "sludge", but I might mess around with that in the near future.

The Cellucor whey is pretty much the best tasting stuff I've tried all around and has a pretty good profile. My favorite is Cinnamon Swirl, but I also quite like Molten Chocolate for small shakes. I've tried Whipped Vanilla as well and it's ok (best vanilla whey I've tried, but still not that great). I've ordered the cake batter and red velvet flavors to try next.

I tried Musclepharm Cookies and Cream and it's a bit too sweet for me, plus it doesn't mix very well.

I originally started years ago with the GNC Lean Muscle Meal (Vanilla) and that tastes terrible to me now. I do use the GNC Natural Whey as a mix in with some of the other flavored wheys I use to cut their sweetness and I find that works well (there are very few unflavored wheys out there). GNC stuff is very expensive though so if you're on a budget I'd avoid it.
  • bepositivejp
    Options
    Have you had a look into trying juice plus, it's made of vegetable protein (soy, soy tofu, rice chickpeas). No milk derivatives, suitable for celiac too, I really do find I 'hurt' a lot less by having them a pre or post workout.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't want to spend a bunch on protein, but I don't want to be throwing my money away either.
    Start a garden and forget that protein powder BS. Free protein comes from your back yard.
  • JoeyIbz
    JoeyIbz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As you may know there are several kind of proteins, and protein powders...

Whey Protein = Quick assimilation. Good for anytime of the day but esp. post-workout. Best Brand IMO: ON Gold Standard
    Casein-based Proteins = Sustained release. Great before bed. Best Brand IMO: BSN Syntha 6, or BSN Lean Dessert

That being said, the very best proteins are loads of chicken, egg whites and tunaaaa.

Cheers
  • eminentclapper
    eminentclapper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My personal favourite is Pure Whey Isolate 90 from BulkPowders.
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Body fortress actually made me quite dizzy, So I went back to Six Star elite
  • rumple2014
    Options
    I'm using myprotein impact whey protein
  • Geobec1981
    Geobec1981 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk is a good recommendation. Great flavours and like anyting moderation is the key.. :)
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i LOOOOOOVEEE proto-whey double chocolate flavour, not only do i use it as protein but when i feel like having something chocolatey, it taste amazing with water and when you mix it with milk its just like drinking an epically tasty chocolate milk with a load of protein in it.
  • bepositivejp
    Options
    Have you had a look into trying juice plus, it's made of vegetable protein (soy, soy tofu, rice chickpeas). No milk derivatives, suitable for celiac too, I really do find I 'hurt' a lot less by having them a pre or post workout.
  • billhilly1968
    billhilly1968 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Mattrix and Muscle Milk are good choices.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk is a good recommendation. Great flavours and like anyting moderation is the key.. :)

Muscle Milk historically has been demonstrated to have high levels of cadmium and has settled a class-action for the same.
  • SavinnaMarie
    SavinnaMarie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    here's what i've tried:

GNC 100% whey protein
    - overpriced ($35 for 1lbs)
    - only 20g of protein
    - taste is good
    - only bought it cause there's a GNC store near me and i wanted to start taking protein shakes on the first day of insanity

DYMATIZE elite whey (cookies and cream flavor)
    - reasonably priced (around $60 for 5lbs in my country)
    - cookies and cream is really delicious specially with frozen bananas and/or strawberries
    - 25g of protein
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. They have a lot of flavors. I'm currently in the process of finishing my cinnamon graham cracker and debating what to try next. 24g of protein per scoop and about 100-120 calories. Its a little more on the expensive side, but its high quality.

Edited because I can’t spell.

^This. Optimum Nutrition is by far my fave- great protein, mixes well, is palatable if just mixed with water.

Happy Protein hunting!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb!! It's good quality and taste great!!!

Herb
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reference
  • dabascom
    dabascom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been using Beverly Nutrition UMP for years.
    http://www.beverlyinternational.com/
    Good quality. Great company. No GI issues.
    I cook with it more than use it as a meal replacement.
    I'm an addict.
    :smile:
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I use beachbody's. Only because I know they are trustworthy.