Exercise at work???

Options
Hi All,
Do any of you do this? If so, what are you doing, when, and how many minutes or reps? I was thinking to do maybe 3 sets of squats after bathroom breaks. I already go up/down 15 flights of stairs on occasion, but want ideas on quick and effective routine.
Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• a_doublej
    a_doublej Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Why not focus on a dedicated workout outside of work? The whole jargon of "just take the stairs instead of the elevator" drives me insane. That's not a workout; it's not enough.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have success with doing squats in the bathroom :)
    I bring my resistance bands with me and try to get in at least 5 minutes multiple times a day - the stretching feels great after sitting at my desk and why not tone if I can :)
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I used to do single-leg squats at my desk once an hour, but actually got asked to stop! Great for building leg strength and balance.

86-pistol-squat.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd find some time to do an actual workout. You can do things at work to improve your NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)...basically move a bit more, but I wouldn't really call that exercise...just a bit of increased activity. I take the stairs and what not and I park in the spot the furthest from my office building just to move more...but I don't really consider that "exercise" per sei.

I do usually use my lunch hour to either go for a 12-15 mile bike ride or a 3 mile walk and generally hit the weight room 3x weekly after work. Really, you should set aside some actual workout time...just doing a few sets of squats after you use the restroom isn't going to do a whole lot.
  • Alehmer
    Options
    If you do genuine Strength motions, IE hard at low reps, you can gain a very serious amount of strength this way if you do it several times a day. Google 'CNS Training" or "Grease the Groove" training if you want more info. Even if you don't care about being stronger, stronger people can burn more every time they lift, so you'll be more efficient and have faster progress.
  • Yilsip
    Yilsip Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! I really like the pictures, look challenging as I am just starting out with different exercise types vs the typical cardio.
    I do workout at home 3-4 times per week. The issue is that I have gone from working retail, in a multilevel store, on my feet for a good 75% of my time, to now sitting at a desk and working on a laptop.

I am a full-time working Mom with two small kids, get home at 7pm from work, don't have the luxury of working out daily at the gym, or home. I am working on making time, or just exercising twice a day on my 2 days off.
    I appreciate your feedback :-)
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to have a gym at my place of work that I can use during lunch. Not everyone has that, but what I also do during nice weather is to go for a walk or run outside during my lunch. I don't know how long of a lunch break you get, but can you use part of the time going for a walk or run? I get an hour, so I figure I can use that to eat and sit some more or exercise. I bring workout clothes and sneakers with me so that I can change and do something. It helps me get some exercise in and with stress.
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I challenged myself to do 3 sets of 5 squats and standing crunches during worktime. It caught on so all my co workers are doing it.

Do what you can do!
  • kikif617
    kikif617 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I workout at a gym 4-5 days a week, but at work everytime I use the restroom (which is alot because I drink 10-12 cups of water a day). I do 2 sets of squats of 15. Like every single time I go LOL.
  • Alehmer
    Options
    One great way to get started with that is to just try to only use one leg every time you stand up or sit down, and use as little help (hands, other leg, momentum) as necessary. You will slowly but surely gain strength, till you'll just kinda look up in a couple months and realize that you are far stronger than you were, even without explicit workouts.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
  • a_doublej
    a_doublej Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I am a full-time working Mom with two small kids, get home at 7pm from work, don't have the luxury of working out daily at the gym, or home. I am working on making time, or just exercising twice a day on my 2 days off.
    I appreciate your feedback :-)

I work full time with two small children at home as well. I also am active in the community. It can be difficult, but I still manage to dedicate time for fitness. If it's important to you, you will find time for it, even if it means getting up at 5am before everyone else is awake. I can sympathize with how busy moms are, but these are just more excuses.

It sounds like you're getting some workouts in though so that's great. Maybe you can change these workouts up to incorporate more strength training. Jillian Michaels and other programs are all over Youtube/Fitness Blender for the taking.
  • khkjkk
    khkjkk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Depends on the workplace. In my office, it's pretty typical to see people doing pushups and squats every hour, or running up and down the stairs during lunch breaks. Things that you might be able to get away with in the office include (and depending on how clean the floor is):

Squats
    Pushups
    Bicep curls
    Tricep press (with your water bottle / gallon)
    Leg Extensions
    Chair Dips (In my experience: don't do these with rolling chairs....)
    Stairs
    Kettlebell workouts (we keep one in the office)
  • MerMandy17
    MerMandy17 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do! My company has a gym on site with towel service included. I workout for about 45-60 minutes daily during my lunch break. They also offer classes before work hours, during lunch hours, and one class after 5pm. Its super convenient and only $22 a month. I love it!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine at my last company has a door-frame pull-up bar in his office door. There's a two pull-up toll any time someone passes through the door -- going in? that's two pull-ups. Going back out? Two more. And he pays the toll himself, as well.

If you want to get some core/stability work in, get a stability ball and use it while you're sitting at your desk. It doesn't have to be a full time replacement for your chair, just something you do for an extended period every day.
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    I also work at a desk all day. Had to go to a therepist because of some medical problems due to cancer ( am cancer free now) but did get some stretches that I can do while sitting at my desk of standing at the desk. am at work right now but when I get home will post those exercises for you
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I do a set of 20 squats every time I have a bathroom break (hidden in the bathroom). So like 4 x a day (I'm drinking alot of water).

I do calf raises at my desk if my office mate leaves for a meeting.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Why not focus on a dedicated workout outside of work? The whole jargon of "just take the stairs instead of the elevator" drives me insane. That's not a workout; it's not enough.

It's not a workout but how the 23 hrs a day that are not spent in the gym are used also counts. Getting in extra exercise at work is a great way to increase NEAT, especially for those with a desk job.

I usually try and get a brisk walk in a lunchtime and go up and down the stairs at tea break to get the circulation going.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Why does putting in extra effort to burn more calories at work have to mean that I'm not "dedicating" enough time to fitness? I work out 6 times a week, half HIIT and half lifting and still do things like this at work/school. I park farther away than I need to, take stairs when I have the opportunity and do some squats/dips/pushups when I can.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do. If the weather is nice I will sometimes take a walk at lunch, but I use my breaks to workout as well. So far today I've done 145 bridges, 42 push ups, 130 squats and two 5 min warmups. And I have one more break later today.

Sitting all day is not good, so even though I workout in the eveings and on weekend, I feel these mini-office workouts are important since I have a desk job.