Is "grilled" the same thing as "pan seared"

Options
2»

Replies

• zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    So grilling in the US is like BBQing?

Grilling is cooking on fire (usually directly). BBQing is cooking slowly with smoke and fire.

in the US.

BBQ in australia usually refers to cooking snags (sausages), chops and steaks and any other random meats on a hotplate over a gas fire.

low & slow BBQ is making some in roads here tho.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    also, pan searing has no effect on the moisture of the meat. infact, reverse sear is taking over as one of the preferred methods of cooking steak. cooked indirectly (oven or bbq) first then browned on a grill at the end.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Grilling is cooking on fire (usually directly). BBQing is cooking slowly with smoke and fire.

word....

grilling.jpg
    Grilling^^^^

Propane_smoker.jpg
    BBQ^^^

That's what's up!

see...in MY world that's called a smoker....not a BBQ. That's how you smoke meat.

smoking meat is BBQ...

If you go to a BBQ joint, it's going to be slow smoked ribs, chicken, brisket, etc...not burgers on the grill. Of course, if you're from Carolina then true BBQ can't be anything except pig.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I mean what exactly is "grilled chicken"? this whole time I just thought it was kind of the same thing as pan-seared chicken breast since I don't think anyone actually goes out to grill a chicken breast on their fire grill daily. But other websites are saying differently, saying that grilled chicken is actually not the same thing as pan seared and you need to get a special type of grilling pan if you want to have actual grilled chicken at home. I'm confused.

Most of the time, in my kitchen - pan seared is done indoors, in a skillet, but usually there is oil or butter in the pan before the chicken is added. Then often finished in the oven to cook the meat the rest of the way through. The addition of the fat before searing it would add some extra caloires.

Grilling is done outside, on a bbq grill (ours is propane gas) and it is meant as a grate over flame. There isn't fat added before I put the chicken on the grill, but often a marinade or seasoning of some sort (also calories). We grill often, even in the winter time.

They do sell "grill pans" in the US but these are usually just for giving grill marks (stripes) and I don't think they closely replicate the same flavor of cooking over a flame, even though our flame is gas powered not charcoal or other wood.

The UK "grill" described in this thread is called a broiler in the US.

Also, to me the difference between BBQing and Grilling is debatable - could be the addition of BBQ sauce to the grilled meat, or it could mean the event itself, ie "I'm having a BBQ this weekend". When we have that BBQ we grill the meat.

Confusing enough for you? :)
  • RecklezzBeauty
    RecklezzBeauty Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I mean what exactly is "grilled chicken"? this whole time I just thought it was kind of the same thing as pan-seared chicken breast since I don't think anyone actually goes out to grill a chicken breast on their fire grill daily. But other websites are saying differently, saying that grilled chicken is actually not the same thing as pan seared and you need to get a special type of grilling pan if you want to have actual grilled chicken at home. I'm confused.

i actually in rain snow or any weather go out and grill my chicken lol
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

word....

grilling.jpg
    Grilling^^^^

Propane_smoker.jpg
    BBQ^^^

That's what's up!

see...in MY world that's called a smoker....not a BBQ. That's how you smoke meat.

Yes. A smoker is what you use for barbecue.