Lack of weight loss

Options
Hi Everyone-

I recently started a diet and exercise routine with the intention of losing unwanted bodyfat. I understand that it is more important to consider your body fat percentage and overall cardiovascular and muscular strength and fitness than it is to focus to much on weight but the fact is weight is the easiest thing to track.

I set goals and on the basis of those goals devised a workout routine that alternates 30 min of full-body lifting with 50 min of cardio for 6 days a week along with a 50% protein 30% carb and 20% fat diet that is calorically under my TDEE by about 700 calories a day (aiming for 1.5 pounds loss per week). I have also watched after my sodium realizing that with the large protein intake it would be easy to get excess sodium and cause blood pressure issues and water retention.

Anyways long story short I have been doing this strictly for 30 days now and have gone from weighing 188 pounds to weighing...188 pounds. Considering that by all estimates I am actually UNDERESTIMATING my TDEE considering I was setting it at 2400 for a a 6' tall 188 pound man doing 40 min a day of strenuous exercise I was assuming I would be adjusting my calories UP after a month.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I'm only eating about 1700-1800 calories a day (I'm not hungry given the high protein percentage) and I'm monitoring my sodium intake but yet I don't seem to be losing weight at all. I was planning on adjusting my diet based on the results of a month and was fully expecting to have to adjust to eating more but with zero weightloss and already eating such a low caloric intake I'm not sure what to do.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary (public view) may help so we can comment more specifically based on what you're doing/logging
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Open up that diary and let's fix this problem!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary (public view) may help so we can comment more specifically based on what you're doing/logging

I am brand new to this site and came here seeking advice, as such I don't have a "diary" associated with this page to share with you.

I've been maintaining my own spreadsheets with excel and tracking my calories pretty rigorously.

Here is a pretty standard "day" for me calorically:

Date Calories Prot (g) Prot (Cal) Carb (g) Carb (Cal) Fat (g) Fat (Cal) Calories
    3/13/2014 coffee 50 1 4 1 4 4 36 44
    protein bar 270 20 80 31 124 8 72 276
    Protein shake + veg 380 72 288 17 68 2.9 26.1 382.1
    1 satsuma 40 1 4 9 36 0 0 40
    1 large tortilla 120 4 16 19 76 3 27 119
    12oz Can of Tuna 240 55 220 0 0 2.5 22.5 242.5
    Egg 78 6 24 0.6 2.4 5 45 71.4
    protein bar 270 20 80 31 124 8 72 276
    Chocolate milk 200 9 36 33 132 5 45 213
    1/2 protein powder 60 12 48 1.5 6 0.5 4.5 58.5
    1 frozen yogurt with fruit 200 9 36 40 160 0 0 196

Totals 1708 200 800 143 572 39 350 1723
    P/C/F % 46.4% 33.2% 20.3%

So that day was about 1700 calorie intake with 200g of it as protein.

My workout is a full body weight lifting routinue for about 30 minutes on Mon Wed Fri (estimate 250 cal burn) and an aerobic cardio routinue with ab/core exercises for about 50 min on Tues Thurs Sat (estimate 500 cal burn). My job is desk work but I walk to and from work and in general I believe I probably burn an extra 400 calories on top of my BMR which I estimated quite low at 1600. Added together that's a TDEE of 2400 which I think is likely an underestimate for someone of my size.

It is hard for me to believe that my calorie counting or my TDEE is that far off (I'm sure there is some error but not 700 calories worth of error).

I was assuming it might be water retention so I've been watching my sodium intake as well but it doesn't seem to be that high.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How's your bowel movements? I'd personally look to more vegetables and whole grains, just for overall health... I'm not too sure how much vegetable is in the 1st shake, though. Beans, lentils, onions and such. Things like that.

Are you weighing everything on a digital scale, just to be sure you're using the right amount of protein powder? It's REALLY easy to put 50% more powder in than you think you are.

Also, I'd personally probably eat more overall. I know it doesn't seem logical, but if you're really only eating 1700 calories per day, that just isn't enough for a man. To get the best benefit from your workouts you need fuel. Probably more than 1700 per day. But, unless you're logging everything, it's hard to know exactly what you're taking in. MFP has some pretty nifty food/calorie tracking. Both online and on a phone ap.

Also, again, just for health, you eat a lot of processed items. Protein powder, protein bars... that's like 800 calories per day of highly processed items. Just something to think about. Really I think you're on the right track. You just might want to add some oatmeal, nuts, seeds, legumes, and some more fruit and vegies. But that's just me personally.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I do need more veg in my diet. I generally munch on celery or carrots or broccoli during the day and don't bother to log it because the calories are so low especially if you consider the fiber. My BMs seem fine, they aren't every day but they aren't liquid or to hard or anything.

The protein powder I am using is only 120 cal per scoop and I'm using 3 scoops a day so even if I somehow was doing twice that amount it would only have me off 360 cals. I'm using the scoop that came with the powder so I am assuming I am measuring it accurately.

I also recognize that I would be better off eating things like fresh salmon or chicken breast rather than protein powder and bars but to be honest it is hard to beat that convenience and cost and I'd rather stick to my diet with some process foods than give up in frustration with the amount of time shopping and cooking to eat only fresh foods.

I hear you about the 1700 cals a day not being enough. I was eating just that because that was enough to satisfy but I fully expected I'd be bumping that up after a month. That said I was also expecting to have lost at least some noticeable weight so I'm a bit at a loss there. I figure I stick with it. I'm exercising, I'm being carefull about what I put in my body...its got to be a good thing right. I've made some noticeable strength and cardio gains and I'm not going to focus so much on my body weight, it just surprised me and I can't explain it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'm just letting you know what I'm reading. Take it at face value that I'm trying to help, ok?

So in addition to what you listed above, you could potentially be eating 100 calories of vegetables. As well as 360 calories of protein powder. That's 460 potential calories you haven't accounted for. For me, 460 extra calories per day is the difference between me losing, and me gaining. At least you're maintaining.

My advice, really, from the heart, is to get a digital scale, and weigh everything you're eating. Weigh the powder, you might be shocked. Hell, you might not be. But if you're truly discouraged that you haven't lost weight, I think you owe it to yourself to find out why, before you make too drastic of change.

Ok?

Edit to add: I'm not saying give up processed foods entirely. I'm just suggesting that when half of your intake is processed, you're probably not really doing your body any favors. I mean this in the most constructive, supportive way possible. Frozen chicken breasts and salmon fillets on a George Foreman grill are fairly easy. And it's merely a suggestion, ok?
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    Suggestion: try dropping your carbs down to 10% for a couple weeks, see what happens. 50% protein, 40% fat, 10% carbs
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    A couple things:

(1) Possible that you're eating more than you think -- it happens to nearly everyone. If you're not literally weighing everything (not just volume measuring), you could be surprisingly off and eating more than you think. This tends to be the most common problem for most people.

(2) What sort of cardio are you doing? High intensity like running or low intensity like walking/hiking? Some find low intensity cardio to work best with lifting heavy.

(3) What sort of weight routine are you doing (3x5, stronglifts, etc.)? Are you following with a recovery drink and magnesium later at night (zma, which is a zinc, magnesium and vitamin b combo, appears to be one of the most popular among those lifting heavy to help with recovery)? Are you noticing increased strength (i.e. increasing your weight on your lifts)?

(4) If you're pretty confident in your food tracking and exercise number, then there is likely something else amiss that makes the general calculations not true for you. Something like a thyroid issue, insulin resistance, severe deficiency in certain minerals/vitamins that hamper weight loss (magnesium, vitamin D, etc.), adrenal or liver issues. Do you notice any other symptoms other than the weight not going? Fatigue, constipation, very dry skin, losing hair, difficult concentrating, etc.?
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Suggestion: try dropping your carbs down to 10% for a couple weeks, see what happens. 50% protein, 40% fat, 10% carbs

I actually think you want to increase fat there, not protein. Get your 1 g (0.7) per lb body weight in, keep your carbs are 10-15% or lower and make up the rest in fat. The increased protein will not help and will get converted in to glucose -- making it as if you're eating carbs. That's why low carb diets are high in fat, not protein (but have sufficient protein -- tends to be in the 25-40% range).
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I'm just letting you know what I'm reading. Take it at face value that I'm trying to help, ok?

Yeah no sure, I appreciate your thoughts and help I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. If you were reading into my posts some sort of anger or snippiness I assure you I wasn't feeling that.

That is fair about weighing everything to just make sure. I actually already own a digital food scale and I am being careful with my portions. I still wonder if it has to do with water retention from going from no exercise to regular weight lifting and I'll just shed it later. Also possible I'm eating more than I think and I just have to be more careful.

Thanks for your help.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Yeah no sure, I appreciate your thoughts and help I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. If you were reading into my posts some sort of anger or snippiness I assure you I wasn't feeling that.

That is fair about weighing everything to just make sure. I actually already own a digital food scale and I am being careful with my portions. I still wonder if it has to do with water retention from going from no exercise to regular weight lifting and I'll just shed it later. Also possible I'm eating more than I think and I just have to be more careful.

Thanks for your help.

Water retention is very possible as the body will hold extra water to repair the muscles, though it seems like after a month that should have evened out and you should see some decrease in weight. Perhaps give it another month and see...
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    weight tracking is the easiest way, but also inacurate. Try taking measurements once a week.
    I'm on month three of my program (not the same as yours, but still) and I didnt see any scale changes for the first month either. Your body is adjusting.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    In response to Lindsey1979:

1) Suppose its possible I am not accurately tracking my portions but given the simplicity of what I have been consuming (can of tuna, scoop of protein powder, a tortilla) it is hard to believe that I am that far off. If I was eating meals with lots of ingredients I totally hear you but when I eat a chicken breast I have weighed it so I know when I log 8oz of chicken I have eaten 8oz of chicken.

2) I am doing cardio that I would classify as a mix of low-impact to high-impact cardio. Kicks, punches, jumping jacks, lunges, running in place etc to elevate my heartrate to an aerobic zone for about 40 min.

3). I am doing a fullbody workout which is 3 circuits of supersets including compound movements for chest, back, arms and legs. Each circuit flows from exercise to exercise without rest followed by 1 min rest between circuits. Its actually pretty high cardio as well given the intensity. An example circuit would be 15 pushups followed by 12 bent over rows then 12 bicep curls then 12 tricep extensions then 5 sets of lunge/squats. I am following with chocolate milk with some mixed in creatine. Its about a 4 to 1 carb to protein mix at around 250 calories. I have noticed an increase in my pushup counts and the weights of my lifts having increased weight so yes have seen strength gains.

4) I've been taking a daily multivitamin to curb any vitamin deficiency due to the strict diet or calorie cutting. I have not experienced fatigue (other than you would expect post workout) or constipation or other bowel issues. As for insulin resistance or metabolic changes in my body I cannot speculate there. I feel fine really. I wouldn't say I have more energy but also wouldn't say I have less. I do find things that are cardio intensive (like going up a long flight of stairs) to be considerably easier than it was prior though so I am making progress.

You know overall I'm happy with my routinue, my diet and my progress in strength and cardio fitness. I was just expecting weight loss and so far I haven't gotten that. Perhaps I shouldn't worry about it and just press on. In another month maybe the weight will come off or maybe it won't but if I'm making fitness gains that's the real point.

I do suspect water retention but watching my sodium intake and drinking more water didn't seem to have much effect.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Now I'm not sure what to do. I'm only eating about 1700-1800 calories a day
    Any thoughts?
    [/quote]

My first thought is that you are eating/drinking more than you think you are.

And you need to take measurements to chart your progress.

Weigh your food/check the serving sizes, and log EVERYTHING in your MFP food diary for the next 30 days.

Or even the next 7 days.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I'd be concerned that with carbs that low I would not be able to recover from my regular workout routinues. Seems like I need those carbs to replenish glycogen yeah? Making fitness progress is more important to me than making the scale display a lower number.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I've lost about an inch and a half circumference around my abdomen so I know I am likely losing some of the bodyfat. I just know there is no way I've slapped on 5 pounds of muscle in a month so trying to figure out what is going on with my body make sure everything is okay and I'm not overdoing something.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I've lost about an inch and a half circumference around my abdomen so I know I am likely losing some of the bodyfat. I just know there is no way I've slapped on 5 pounds of muscle in a month so trying to figure out what is going on with my body make sure everything is okay and I'm not overdoing something.

Losing inches is just as if not actually more important than the # on the scale.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'd definitely get a food scale and weigh everything. It was quite eye opening to me when I first bought mine. What I thought was 28 grams/1/4 cup was not 28 grams.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Losing inches is just as if not actually more important than the # on the scale.

Yeah I totally agree. I'm actually pleased with my progress. I don't want to give the impression that I am being depressed by the number on the scale, just confused and trying to figure it out. Have a strong need to understand my body, I figure its important if you want to attain a good fitness level.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    In response to Lindsey1979:

1) Suppose its possible I am not accurately tracking my portions but given the simplicity of what I have been consuming (can of tuna, scoop of protein powder, a tortilla) it is hard to believe that I am that far off. If I was eating meals with lots of ingredients I totally hear you but when I eat a chicken breast I have weighed it so I know when I log 8oz of chicken I have eaten 8oz of chicken.

2) I am doing cardio that I would classify as a mix of low-impact to high-impact cardio. Kicks, punches, jumping jacks, lunges, running in place etc to elevate my heartrate to an aerobic zone for about 40 min.

3). I am doing a fullbody workout which is 3 circuits of supersets including compound movements for chest, back, arms and legs. Each circuit flows from exercise to exercise without rest followed by 1 min rest between circuits. Its actually pretty high cardio as well given the intensity. An example circuit would be 15 pushups followed by 12 bent over rows then 12 bicep curls then 12 tricep extensions then 5 sets of lunge/squats. I am following with chocolate milk with some mixed in creatine. Its about a 4 to 1 carb to protein mix at around 250 calories. I have noticed an increase in my pushup counts and the weights of my lifts having increased weight so yes have seen strength gains.

4) I've been taking a daily multivitamin to curb any vitamin deficiency due to the strict diet or calorie cutting. I have not experienced fatigue (other than you would expect post workout) or constipation or other bowel issues. As for insulin resistance or metabolic changes in my body I cannot speculate there. I feel fine really. I wouldn't say I have more energy but also wouldn't say I have less. I do find things that are cardio intensive (like going up a long flight of stairs) to be considerably easier than it was prior though so I am making progress.

You know overall I'm happy with my routinue, my diet and my progress in strength and cardio fitness. I was just expecting weight loss and so far I haven't gotten that. Perhaps I shouldn't worry about it and just press on. In another month maybe the weight will come off or maybe it won't but if I'm making fitness gains that's the real point.

I do suspect water retention but watching my sodium intake and drinking more water didn't seem to have much effect.

That sounds great overall. But, just wanted to add in three things:

(1) weight resistance. If you're amenable at all to changing it up, I'd strongly recommend a 3x5 routine. It's full body with a lot of weight -- olympic style lifting. Work out 1 is squats, military press, deadlift and dips. Work out 2 is squats, bench press, pullups or chinups and back extension. Check out Starting Strength -- tons of free information out there and it's a really good newbie lifting regime.

(2) Vitamin deficiencies -- I used to take a multi-vitamin and thought that was enough. Despite that, my doctor later discovered that I had severe Vitamin D and magnesium deficiencies -- both are extremely common in the population and cause all sorts of havoc. It may be worth a little time/money to have tested to for them. A good multi-vitamin may not be enough until you get up to a maintenance level as many multi-vitamins have less than you really need.

(3) Sprints -- if you can work in a sprint work out once or twice a week (or substitute for your cardio), you may see results quicker. Though it sounds like some of your cardio may already HIIT style. Anyway, here's some more info on sprints (or similar HIIT workouts) and why they're so valuable to fat loss and muscle building (wordy, but good info): http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm