carbs high or low?

Options
Hey guys actually I was confused that shud I go for high carbs or high protien? As my main intention is to lose fat and gain muscle...

I workout 3 times a week and cardio 2times a week
Is my diet strong? As m doing 1600-1900cal a day of workout...and cardio

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    It's more important to hit protein goals if you are wanting to build muscle. When you eat more protein, your carbs will take a backseat.
  • sonuyos
    sonuyos Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I eat 130-170 gm of protein that also from chicken boneless breast area
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your goals and your personal sensitivity to carbs. Some are very sensitive to carbs (like the insulin resistant) and so for them, a low carb diet is often preferred. Some enjoy a ketogenic diet and so lower the carbs accordingly. For others, there doesn't seem to be a difference, so do what you find works best for you.

But getting enough protein is important in either scenario, especially if you want to minimize LBM loss in a caloric deficit (i.e. keep as much muscle as possible and lose fat). There is debate about what that level is, but I go with 0.7 g protein per lb body weight. Lifting heavy and weekly or twice weekly sprint sessions will also help with this.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This was an excellent thread on a protein study: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1167386-review-of-dietary-protein-during-caloric-restriction

Most find that if you get enough protein in your day, it doesn't matter how you spend the rest of your calories.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    There is a thing called carb cycling where you cycle low to high carbs I think to help build muscle and burn fat at the same time. Not sure if its true. But if you want to gain muscle you should probably be eating a decent amount of protein with carbs.