How much should I be eating... really?

I am 18 years old and I weigh between 117 and 121 depending on the day. I am only 5' 3 1/2" so I feel that I am slightly overweight. During the week I workout at least 4 days a week for a minimum of 3 hours a day (sometimes 5) because I am a dancer. This causes me to have a lot of muscle, yet I know I still have fat on my body. I would like to figure out just how much I should be eating to lose a few pounds and then to maintain that weight. Right now I eat about 1,700 calories a day because previously I had been eating 1,400 and I thought my body might have been going into starvation mode which could account for the newly gained fat storage. Also if anyone knows I eat an okay amount of fruits so my sugar intake always looks a bit high. Is that bad even if it isn't processed?

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    I don't think you are overweight at 120 lbs.

If you want to have a better looking body....hit the weights and work to increase muscle. You should eat close to maintenance weight when you do this. You can be at a small deficit so that you can lose a "few" pounds. No more than 200 lbs under maintenance.

IMO
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Your BMI is 21.4 which is on the low side of the normal range, you are definitely not over weight by any means.

Sugar in fruit is fine, I think you should consider eating more than 1700 calories and picking up a weight lifting routine and replace it with some of the cardio you do.

Because you are already at a healthy weight, what is going to change your body is gaining muscle, it will make you look smaller/leaner. You need some body fat for a healthy hormonal system.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    you are not overweight...my sister is your height and weighs more and is in a size 2....

starvation mode is a myth as well...

Perhaps what you wish for is a different look...weight lifting does that...

As well it doesn't matter what you eat it's how much you eat.

If you do wish to lose weight plug your numbers inot MFP set a reasonable weight loss goal 1/2lb a week...and an accurate activity level. MFP will give you a calorie goal...log, weigh all food and eat at that deficet, while eating back 50-75% of your exercise calories.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    You're not overweight, for one. I'm the same stats as you, 5'3.5" and I'm 115 lbs, working on my first bulk, currently. Pick up into a resistance training program, preferably heavy lifting. I doubt 1400 calories caused you fat storage but I do think 1700+ is preferable. If you want to lose a bit, I'd do it very slow, as you're very close to underweight
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Your BMI is 21.4 which is on the low side of the normal range, you are definitely not over weight by any means.

Sugar in fruit is fine, I think you should consider eating more than 1700 calories and picking up a weight lifting routine and replace it with some of the cardio you do.

Because you are already at a healthy weight, what is going to change your body is gaining muscle, it will make you look smaller/leaner. You need some body fat for a healthy hormonal system.

word...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Posts like these make me :cry:
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    My guess is you don't have much fat to lose, but because you're around dancers, your perception is skewed. My BMI is similar, but I feel like a giant (and not in the tall way) around some of the ballet body types in my aerial studio. I'm not sure what to suggest, but thought I'd put that out there.