College Nutrition

Options
Hi everybody!

I'm a nineteen year old college student, and I have a (horrible) meal plan that my college requires all students living on campus to use. The choices at the dining hall can be fairly nutritious if I try to eat well, but the two downsides to this are a) the food is all buffet style, so you can eat as much as you want, and b) there are endless arrays of desserts and sugar is my true weakness. Any pointers for avoiding the temptations and continuing to eat healthily in a college setting? I would love any advice you're willing to give.

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It is all about willpower and making compromises. Load your plate up with veggies/fruits and be gentle with the carbs or other heavy foods. If you've got a sweet tooth that just won't quit, pick 1-2 days per week that you can indulge in a sensibly-sized portion of desert.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water first thing and only go through the line once. When done eating, walk away. And if I remember right, you can choose the plate size so use the smaller plates and bowls from the salad bar area rather than the bigger plates. I had a supervisor that no matter where she was, she would pour her glass of water over her plate when she said she was done eating. It made it so she didn't eat anymore. And it worked. It was very odd to watch her do that at restraurants but she usually covered it with her napkin afterwards. Probably hard to do and not get the comments and weird looks from your table mates.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    1. Don't let yourself get so hungry that you grab the fat, sugar and salt bombs.

2. Do the research and determine what are the most nutritious foods and select those: Hard boiled eggs. Plain Oatmeal. Broiled protein. Jewel toned vegetables. Soup. Stew.

3. Have a vegetable or fruit with every meal. Skip juices and other sweet beverages. Our bodies don't count those calories as healthily as others so we might overeat.

4. Don't get into lines where the un-nutritious foods are. Imagine maggots crawling on the things you don't want to eat. If you do select them have a bit, and then pour a tablespoon of salt on them so you don't over indulge.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    3. Have a vegetable or fruit with every meal. Skip juices and other sweet beverages. Our bodies don't count those calories as healthily as others so we might overeat.

Can you elaborate on the idea of bodies not counting certain calories as healthy?
    I really like the idea of pouring water over your plate when your done. Also see who your food company is. Sodexo (cafeteria services provider) and sometimes the colleges themselves will post nutrition information online.

My school posts nutrition + serving sizes online. We also have reusable to-go boxes. So if I'm not eating with friends, I'll get food in a to go box, go to my room, weigh it, and enter it according to the nutrition information posted online.

Honestly, a lot of times though it is approximation. Like the pound cake I just ate....
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Many times the dining halls have dietitians I see my school's dietitian and now find it easy to eat healthy in dining hall.