why is weight in grams?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would like to add a recipe to MFP. However, everything is in grams or kilorgrams and for those in the United States it would be easier to add ingredients that we use like pound, tbsp, cups. Am I able to adjust the measurements in MFP

most food packages also have grams listed. Besides that, the US is one of the only countries not using the metric system as a standard unit of measure...so that pretty much puts us on the outside looking in when it comes to international applications like this one.

just get a food scale...grams are far more accurate than measuring cups and spoons for solids. Most decent food scales will have grams and ounces as options.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    My digital food scale will do either grams or ounces.

When I load food into my MFP diary or recipe builder I have found foods listed in grams and ounces and volume. You just have to scroll through a bit sometimes to find the unit of measurement you feel most comfortable using.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I am American, and it drives me nuts when things aren't in grams. I like to be as precise as possible when weighing food, sometimes cups, tablespoons, etc. just don't cut it.

dis.

also, your scale should have a mode button.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would like to add a recipe to MFP. However, everything is in grams or kilorgrams and for those in the United States it would be easier to add ingredients that we use like pound, tbsp, cups. Am I able to adjust the measurements in MFP
    If we Americans were able to understand how many grams are in a serving size of most foods, I bet obesity would be less of a problem. A cup of milk actually fits in a small drinking glass, a cereal bowl holds over 3 servings of most cereals and milk, even fruits liks apples are occasionally more than 1 serving when they are not even that large... weighing in grams is the most accurate and consistent way to weigh ingredients because of the precision and standard used. Off topic, but don't you hate when you are working on a car/motorcyle and you have metric and SAE sockets in use??? Sorry, that makes me upset lol... must be time to eat!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    This is the most Murrican post I have seen in a while.

MURRICA!

CryingEagle11.jpg
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    American here.

Grams make the maths so much easier! Count me among those annoyed when items aren't listed in grams.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm Amercian. I have a digital scale. I'm keeping the grams. Like someone else mentioned there's too many things where measuring cups/spoons just don't work - like veggies and fruit. Or meat.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!

You there, fill it up with petroleum distillate, and re-vulcanize my tires, post-haste.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    As a Canadian, I get upset when the only food listings I can find are in ounces. But that's what google's for (inversely you can search for values in grams).
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I used to think of measurements mostly by volume (ie:cups, tblsp, etc) and ounces but now I am used to grams and irritated when I the first things in the data base show up in ounces :ohwell:

Lol, same here. Sometimes I am in a hurry and just rely on the database to enter things. I will be thinking, " why on earth would someone enter 3 cloves of garlic or a cup of broccoli into the public database and not include the weight? This makes no sense! Grrrr." They are small things, of course, but this thought still goes through my mind.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I am American, and it drives me nuts when things aren't in grams. I like to be as precise as possible when weighing food, sometimes cups, tablespoons, etc. just don't cut it.
    ^This. Measuring spoons and cups are terribly inaccurate for everything with the exception of liquids. Buy a digital food scale; best <$20 investment you can make. You're eating way more than you think, guaranteed.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Start a revolution and bring the US up to speed with the rest of the world. Who honestly measures in cups?
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I guess regardless your nationality or how you were used when you were liddl' it would be wise to know both systems. Helps in life...not only here. Everything in life is a challenge, pick your battles :flowerforyou:
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

You're talking about two different things. Grams are a measurement of weight. Tablespoons and cups are a measure of volume.

FFS... THANK YOU!!!!!!!

im sitting here smashing my face into my desk....
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Weight is in grams because grams are units of weight. Cups, tablespoons...these are measures of volume.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    google gram to oz conversions. there is a quick and easy chart that pops up.
  • Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    Options

However, grams is actually waaaaaay more accurate than cups, tbsp, etc. Why not invest in a food scale? You'd be surprised how much you are really eating.

This. I couldn't believe how bad I was under/over estimating foods until I started using a food scale.