Quick question about oranges.

Options

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    if you're meant to weigh bananas then why does MFP provide generic calories for small, medium and large and so on? the calorie difference will be negligible between your super duper accurate weight and the average weight for a small banana.

no one got fat off incorrectly logging bananas :laugh: and it's not done my weight loss any harm

members can put their own entries in the data base - they were not all put there by MFP
  • oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ]I am aware. I am talking about the entries put in by MFP, the ones without the asterisks.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    if you're meant to weigh bananas then why does MFP provide generic calories for small, medium and large and so on? the calorie difference will be negligible between your super duper accurate weight and the average weight for a small banana.

no one got fat off incorrectly logging bananas :laugh: and it's not done my weight loss any harm

You do what you do then. If you ever stall, try weighing things.

For others who want more precise data, we'll continue weighing things.

Thanks for playing.
    I didn't say I don't weigh anything, I said I don't see the point in weighing individual fruit when average sizes will give you more or less the same amount of calories. My health goals aren't a game but thanks for the support, you're a peach :flowerforyou:

MFP has bananas, oranges, spinach, etc by weight in there as well. The original database has those things by size, "serving," weight, and cups most likely.

That's like asking, why we should weigh pork chops, or chicken breast when you could simply choose 1 portion or 1 breast... It makes things more accurate.

Also, I don't believe your fitness goals are a game. The "thanks for playing" was sarcasm about the judgement you were passing on others for weighing their fruits.
  • oSummerRaeo
    Options

Thanks for playing.
    I didn't say I don't weigh anything, I said I don't see the point in weighing individual fruit when average sizes will give you more or less the same amount of calories. My health goals aren't a game but thanks for the support, you're a peach :flowerforyou:

MFP has bananas, oranges, spinach, etc by weight in there as well. The original database has those things by size, "serving," weight, and cups most likely.

That's like asking, why we should weigh pork chops, or chicken breast when you could simply choose 1 portion or 1 breast... It makes things more accurate.

Also, I don't believe your fitness goals are a game. The "thanks for playing" was sarcasm about the judgement you were passing on others for weighing their fruits.
    where did I judge? I said it was interesting and I'd never heard of it before that. that was before you said me and the other person were "protesting weighing" and proceeded to link to a common sense thread, which is

1. not what we were doing
    2. PRETTY JUDGEY

we all have different ways of doing things so who cares.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Thanks for playing.

where did I judge? I said it was interesting and I'd never heard of it before that. that was before you said me and the other person were "protesting weighing" and proceeded to link to a common sense thread, which is

2. PRETTY JUDGEY

I love that you mock someone for weighing fruit and then claim to not be judgemental. That's awesome.
  • mellyb11
    mellyb11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What about a chicken breast on the bone. I have always just taken for granted that the edible part is the only information on the packaging/MFP. The packaging has a calorie count per serve, has it already taken into account that you are only eating the meat and no the bone.
  • oSummerRaeo
    Options

Thanks for playing.

2. PRETTY JUDGEY

I love that you mock someone for weighing fruit and then claim to not be judgemental. That's awesome.
    please point out where i mocked.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    not logical if you want to maintain weight for the rest of your life.

I know this is not what this thread is about, but I so agree with these statements.

I weighed and measured religiously at first, and now that I know what portions look like, I really don't use the scale or measuring cups much anymore. I can't do that everyday. I double check my eye on occasion when I have time, and I am always pretty close, give or take a few grams.

And I certainly did not get fat eating too much fruit, so I have never bothered weighing fruits and veggies, other than out of curiosity.
  • NightWriteMermaid
    Options
    Jeez. I did not mean to start a huge thing. Right now, I weigh all my food because I've found I need to *learn* what these portion sizes are supposed to look like. I like weighing things and being precise, and it's worked well for me so far. I feel like weighing things helps me; it's like training wheels until I've taught myself what portions for all different types of food look like. It may not work for everyone, and I'm sorry if anyone thought I was asking a stupid question, but this is getting a little silly. I'm happy if people have found success not weighing things. I'm just on a different path. Again, thanks for those who gave straightforward answers to my apparently obvious question. I appreciate it.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Sorry to butt in, but I don't think she was mocking. She even said that maybe she was the weird one for not weighing fruit.

Just sayin... :flowerforyou:
  • knra_grl
    Options
    What about a chicken breast on the bone. I have always just taken for granted that the edible part is the only information on the packaging/MFP. The packaging has a calorie count per serve, has it already taken into account that you are only eating the meat and no the bone.

Personally it would depend on how you are cooking it to me...are you roasting it then cutting off a portion for yourself? With or without the skin? I would cut my portion, remove the skin and enter it as roasted chicken breast meat only - If I was making a recipe that involved cooking it with other things like in a crock pot I would enter it as raw chicken breast bone in skin removed or with skin (if I remove the skin I would do it before cooking).
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think it is best to weigh all food for a certain period of time. This way you get a real feel for how big a small, medium or large orange really is.

However, once you have a good eye for guesstimating certain items, like apples or oranges, it really is a PITA to weigh them all the time.
  • oSummerRaeo
    Options
    Jeez. I did not mean to start a huge thing. Right now, I weigh all my food because I've found I need to *learn* what these portion sizes are supposed to look like. I like weighing things and being precise, and it's worked well for me so far. I feel like weighing things helps me; it's like training wheels until I've taught myself what portions for all different types of food look like. It may not work for everyone, and I'm sorry if anyone thought I was asking a stupid question, but this is getting a little silly. I'm happy if people have found success not weighing things. I'm just on a different path. Again, thanks for those who gave straightforward answers to my apparently obvious question. I appreciate it.
    i just want to reiterate that i wasn't 'mocking' or judging you, i just genuinely never heard of it before. seems like you know what you're doing and how you're achieving your goals, good luck!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    if you are trying to lose weight you need to be accurate with your calories and logging - I have seen so many posts of people not losing weight - the majority of the time it is due to inaccurate food logging due to not weighing and measuring your foods properly - bits of calories throughout the day can add up to many if you "wing it"

If one is only trying to lose weight through controlling the input or by only doing small amounts of exercise then that level of accuracy is appropriate. If one is doing a reasonable amount of exercise, burning in the order of 600 or more cals per day then some approximation around the input just gets lost in the noise.

Of course the other aspect is to broaden ones measure of success away from the scales towards body shape, fit, composition and sports performance.

life is too short to weigh apple cores when an hours worth of fast paced running burns 800 calories anyway.
  • knra_grl
    Options

There are no stupid questions - as pointed out in this post you can enter fruits based on size - if you want to track your calories accurately then weighing is your best option. I agree that when we start this is the best way to learn portions sizes and calorie counts so we can make educated choices with our foods. When someone has been doing this for a long time they will tend to know what their calorie counts are for some foods and whether or not the difference is worth the effort of weighing it.

If someone has success not weighing their foods - great - but if they stall at least the option is there. Also there are times when we will need to guess - it's not like I will be carrying my food scale to a family dinner or when I go out to eat so I can log my calories.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I get what you are doing. I am just curious if anyone continues to weigh fruit after they are in maintenance? I think long term, it could get tedious. I'm NOT saying that what you are doing is wrong. I just found that being more relaxed about things has helped me stick with it better, and I've had more success.
  • knra_grl
    Options
    I get what you are doing. I am just curious if anyone continues to weigh fruit after they are in maintenance? I think long term, it could get tedious. I'm NOT saying that what you are doing is wrong. I just found that being more relaxed about things has helped me stick with it better, and I've had more success.

I have a while to go before maintenance - I like to be accurate with my logging because my goal is only 1320 per day plus some exercise calories if it's a day I do some exercise - If I am restricted I like to make sure I don't over and to be honest the peel from a grapfruit probably weighs more than the actual amount of fruit that I get out of it (I cut the peel away then cut out the wedges so there is a lot of it that goes in the trash)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I just found that being more relaxed about things has helped me stick with it better, and I've had more success.

I'd agree with this. I really enjoy cooking, but I do it by eye. When I tried getting obsessive about measuring everything I found I actually didn't enjoy the process at all. Once I'd got my head round what a meal measured up to I was able to just chill and focus on improving my performance :)

I recall a debate about weighing spices. As an experiment I tried it when I made a curry, worked out that I was spending a lot of time determining that the spices I added to the curry accounted for less than 5 calories once they were on the plate
  • knra_grl
    Options
    I just found that being more relaxed about things has helped me stick with it better, and I've had more success.

I'd agree with this. I really enjoy cooking, but I do it by eye. When I tried getting obsessive about measuring everything I found I actually didn't enjoy the process at all. Once I'd got my head round what a meal measured up to I was able to just chill and focus on improving my performance :)

I recall a debate about weighing spices. As an experiment I tried it when I made a curry, worked out that I was spending a lot of time determining that the spices I added to the curry accounted for less than 5 calories once they were on the plate

have to agree about the spices - except if it's adding sodium :ohwell:

When I make things I make it the way I always do - I still measure and weigh it all so I can get a fairly accurate count per serving but I don't change the way I cook - once the calorie count is determined I decide how big my portions are. Surprisingly a lot of the things I always made were not bad on calories - it was always the portion sizes that got me. If I have to eat a smaller portion of say lasagne - I make sure I have something with it so I am satisfied by the end of my meal. I don't normally replace things in my diet I control how much of it I eat - I eat butter but I control how much
  • mailroomclerk
    Options
    Personally, I like to peel the orange and then squeeze all the water out of them into a glass to make sure the weighing is accurate. I then drink the water and add it accordingly to MFP's daily water intake. I also own 9 cats.

The scale is a good way to learn how much meat portions weigh, other than that I haven't used it much. It's kind of how you get used to knowing how much a cup is or a tablespoon. Measuring oranges though? Give -yourself- a break. Read a nutrition label and look at the size of the orange. If it's the size of a babies head and taste really bitter, you have a grapefruit ya sillybilly.