What to eat instead of 'white foods'?

Options
I'm 20 years old and have had PCOS since I was about 15 and I've tried every diet under the sun,
but never really had the success I've wanted. (I love 3lbs in 3 weeks on Slim Fast and I barely ate anything!)

I've been looking into PCOS diets and found the 'no white food' carb diet. But my issue with this
one is that I enjoy having potatoes and pasta with my meals. If I have chicken, I'll either have a handful of pasta
with it or some SW chips. Either way, my meals always have either pasta or some form of potato on my plate.

So, what could I do to substitute those things from my diet? Can I still have pasta, but have the wholemeal
one instead?

Any help would be fantastic, thank you!

Replies

• Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay away for starches also. I make the main part of my meal veggies. If you love spaghetti like me, I now make spaghetti squash and put the sauce I make on top and It tastes just like the sauce! Yumm. I also make a lot of cauliflower recipes. I make cauliflower muffin type things, cauliflower jalapeno cheesy bake, cauliflower pizza (crust made out of cauliflower. I also make portobello mushroom pizzas. As you can see I like cheese lol. Quinoa is great too! Check out pinterest too, tons of great low carb recipes!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta and breads are a great option because: a) they don't spike your blood sugar quite so much (which is probably why you were told to stay away from white, refined starches) and b) have more nutrients because they aren't as refined as standard semolina pasta and white bread.

There's also the possibility of eating spaghetti squash or julienned zucchini as noodles--which allows you to put sauce and cheese but isn't as carb-loaded and you get the benefits of veggies.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta
    Whole wheat/multigrain bread
    Sweet potatoes
    Quinoa
    Brown rice
    Spaghetti squash
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    100% whole wheat pasta; quinoa; zucchini; roasted vegetables with olive oil, ground black pepper and sea salt; sweet potatoes; brown rice; wild rice; black, red, pinto beans; spaghetti squash is good; hummus and veggies; those come to mind off the top of my head