How Important Is It To Eat After A Workout

Options
Hello,

So I have about 130lb to lose.
I would like to know how important it is for me to eat after I workout.

Right now my only forms of exercise are cardio either walking for about 30 to 45mins or Elliptical for the same time.

I exercise mostly in the afternoon/evenings.

1. Do I need to eat after I exercise? Are there specific benefits
2. What are the best things to eat [should I eat my last meal after I workout or just a snack]
3. What is your fav go-to after workout fuel?

Thanks in advance
☆ Nancy ☆

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    For a 30 minute cardio workout you're really not burning enough that you'd need to eat anything. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're hungry or haven't met your calorie goal for the day yet.

Just because of my schedule I workout before dinner - but I just eat a normal dinner after. Usually nothing special. There's a smoothie shop in my gym so if I have the calories I might treat myself to one on occassion.
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks that's what I figured. Usually if I'm hungry after ill do apple and peanutbutter or something light.

Thanks for the feedback
  • AnneLise1965
    Options
    I train with a trainer 3 times per week. We train approx 5 hours in total and I have often worked to the point that I feel nauseous. I was concerned with the need to fuel my body after the workout, especially protein.

However, my trainer has told me that I am fine if I cannot eat afterwards.
    Stay hydrated and drink a lot of water. Your snack after your workout sounds perfect.