Water Intake

Options
I am dieting and I continuously hear from a "mentor" to drink water, drink water. I've heard that you want to drink half your weight in ounces. What is the reasoning behind this and why is it so important when you're dieting? I understand when you are doing exercise, but what about when you're mainly eating better?

Replies

• suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    water will increase your "fullness" and hydrate you down to the molecular level.
    Your body needs water. It helps with every single body function.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The idea behind drinking water is that, when your body is getting plenty of hydration on a regular basis (it takes a couple of weeks of consistent intake) it doesn't need to hold on to water anymore because it has become accustomed to getting it from an outside source. That being said, it doesn't really help with fat loss but water weight is no fun to have on your body either! Another nice thing- sometimes people who are constantly dehydrated mistake thirst for hunger, and it make cause them to eat more. Being properly hydrated can get rid of that "false hunger."

More importantly, drinking enough water ensures your body's systems are all able to function at their highest level if you are properly hydrated. Most people are in a constant state of mild dehydration, many are very dehydrated and don't even know it. I personally drink anywhere from 96-120 ounces a day. There really is no set intake you should be meeting, it's all about where you feel best. Start with the 8 glasses of 8 ounces a day (super old school, I know) and go from there.
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    Re: Weight loss: water helps the liver metabolize body fat and helps fuel muscles.

Whether it keeps your full and help you eat less, it is a myth. It really depends on the person.