please help, stopped losing weight???

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    1) if you started exercising recently, water retention can impact the scale.

2) if you truly are not losing at less than 1,000 calories - see a doctor as no-one here will be able to give you advice as there will be a medical issue.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i have read it but i don't believe in the "if u eat more then u will lose weight". mfp gives me a daily calorie intake of 1240. i am not going to eat that for 4-6 weeks to find out that i gained weight, that's a huge waste of time. i SHOULD be losing weight on 1000 calories a day. as a girl i am suppose to eat 2000 calories a day right? and 3500 calories is 1 pound of fat? i should be losing at the least 2lbs a week.

1. If you're not going to listen to advice. Don't ask for help.
    2. It's called starvation, your body is smart and it needs a base level of calories in order to survive. This is called BMR: the number of calories you burn if you laid in bed all day. If you eat below this, your metabolism slows, you burn muscle, your weight stops going down as fast as expected because your body is trying to save everything.
    3. Most peoples BMR's are upwards of 1200.
    4. Back to number one. You asked for help so obviously eating LESS isn't working. so you have 2 options: A: East 500 calories a day, this consists of an Apple, a salad with no dressing, some carrot sticks, 1 slice of deli meat, and depending on how much of those you eat, maybe some coffee since you'll have no energy. This is called Aneroxia Nervosa and is considered an eating disorder in which most affect suffer with for the rest of their lives or die. or B. Take the advice, admit that maybe people who have been there know what they're talking about, up your calories to at minimum meet your BMR, wait a month before stepping on a scale, come back and tell everyone thank you.

Personally, I think I'll wait for your hospital stay to end after you pass out while eating 500 calories a day, your metabolism has crashed and you gain everything back because you didn't understand basic concepts of "healthy" weight loss. Good luck!
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    In for the Twinkie and vodka diet :)
  • bgarganera
    Options
    You're metabolically damaged.
    NO one should be dieting on 1000 calories and not losing weight let alone eating 1000 calories in general.

To fix this means you're gonna have to gain some weight back, but even with this catch 22 if you do this correctly and for an extended period of time it will mean you get to diet on more calories and make your future weight loss phase much much easier.

I suggest you reverse diet (slowly add calories start by eating 1,100) then next week go to 1,200, 1,300 etc.
    You will gain fat b/c your metabolism is so damaged, but by feeding your body it will strengthen your metabolism again.

Good Luck!
    And no more crash / low calorie dieting!!
  • trizzletrix
    trizzletrix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Snazzler, you're doing it wrong.

Seriously.

If you're not losing, you're not at a calorie deficit. You aren't actually weighing all of your foods accurately.

Here's some info that might help:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

TL;DR?

Weight loss is a math equation. Your equation is wrong somewhere. Get a food scale, EAT, and wait.

This guy knows his ****.

In fact I think I might print that list out and stick it to my bedroom wall. Especially BE PATIENT :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You are overestimating exercise/underestimating calorie intake.

If you eat over your calorie allowance you will put on weight and vice versa. The same 'scientific' rule applies when you are actively trying to lose weight. There are no extra brownie points for thinking you are trying harder.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    actually, i have never used mfp. i found this forum in a google search. i already weigh all my food and keep a food diary. i am 100% sure that i weigh my food and calculate my calorie intake accurately. if i can't figure out how many calories something is, i won't even eat it. i started of at 1500 calories a day but eventually stopped losing, dropped down to 1200 and still wasn't losing so i decided to try 1000. there is no way i can eat any more than 1200 and lose weight.
    so follow the links in that huge list of tips I gave. Read them. Use the calculators. Figure out, roughly, how much you need to eat.

Eat that amount for 4-6 weeks. Be precise.

At the end of 6 weeks, you'll have a better idea of which way to go. It isn't a "well, I didn't lose this week at 1500, lets do 1200" thing. The body takes longer to adjust than just that.

I think trogalicious has covered everything that needs to be said. Listen to us by listening to him - use the links provided and get on with it.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump for trogalicious's comments - thanks man!