How can you tell me it doesn't work?

Options
So this week I went to Reading in the UK to see my grandma and aunt and Uncle. I haven't seen my Grandma since May and when I stepped out of the car she told me I was looking great and Id lost lots of weight. Then later that day we went around to see my aunt and Uncle and they said the same. My aunt had questioned me on how I did it because she has been putting on weight. I told them both about my fitness pal and told her to get on her wii fit because thats the exercise I am doing and they own one. I told her I do it anywhere between 5 days a week to only 2 days a week depending on other plans I have that week. Only to be told by my uncle that the Wii Fit doesn't work and doesn't help you lose weight that it's rubbish and I should do some proper exercise. I did reply by saying it must be working because you told me how much weight I'd lost. He then said to my mum that I must have been doing other exercise too because the WII Fit doesn't work. This gets me so angry I tell you what I am doing to lose this weight and you told me that this method doesn't work when it so obviously does. It makes me angry how everyone thinks there an expert on weight loss when they are sat on there *kitten* doing nothing!!

Replies

• goldspaula
    Options
    Calm down, calm down. :D Nothing works, unless you use it. My elliptical didn't work.... because it sat out in the garage for a year. Don't let cranky relatives get you down. Just smile and love them. You know what works for you and you have had great success, and people are noticing! Hooray!
  • Beebee78
    Options
    It could well be his 'man' way of saying that if the wii fit helps you like this imagine what getting out an exercising could do! Men are rubbish at saying what they mean and tend to offend more often than they realise. My husband used to be the same - I thought it was great I was doing wii fit - he said it wasn't real exercise. What he meant was he felt if I would get out and get moving I would lose more weight and feel better.

He wasn't far wrong. Wii fit is fab - I do like it don't get me wrong. But i have learnt that it is nothing like running or cycling at all and that I can do those things and really enjoy them if I just let myself.

Don't let that discourage you though - keep up with the wii fit because at least you are doing some exercise and losing weight xxx
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think Bee is right...some men have an awful way of saying things. But i can also relate to the kind of male relatives who just say mean things. My father is like that and he does it because he knows he can rile (sp?) up my sisters. when he does it to me, I ignore him and walk away...keeping my high from knowing i'm doing something good for myself.
    The important thing is that you feel good, you don't let him get you down (b/c in truth, whatever it is he BELIEVES has no bearing on what is actually happening!), and also that your aunt doesn't let his negativity stop her from also trying it out!
    Keep up the good work!
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to say except I, as a man, have no sense of putting things lightly, or in a manner that doesn't ruffle feathers. I think these ladies are spot on.
  • Ready4Changes
    Options
    So true,

MEN !!!! They mean well. They just don't understand how something said can be a major set back lol.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Geez ladies....:sick:

"SOME" men, fine, but don't lump us ALL in with the losers out there :bigsmile:

Everyone regardless of sex reacts to various kind of exercise differently, if that was not true, then there would only be ONE set of exercise on the whole planet.

loopybec2002, you are obviously doing something right, you have lost a lot of weight, and are getting compliments, who cares what the grumpy old curmudgeon thinks, keep it up, and I'm glad that the Wii thing works for you, bravo!
  • Beebee78
    Options

Everyone regardless of sex reacts to various kind of exercise differently, if that was not true, then there would only be ONE set of exercise on the whole planet.

loopybec2002, you are obviously doing something right, you have lost a lot of weight, and are getting compliments, who cares what the grumpy old curmudgeon thinks, keep it up, and I'm glad that the Wii thing works for you, bravo!

Hey - my husband is no loser!!!! He just doesn't always know how to put things! xxx
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options

Hey - my husband is no loser!!!! He just doesn't always know how to put things! xxx

You did see the >>:bigsmile: << I put behind that statement, didn't you :flowerforyou:

If you say he is not a loser, that is great, but I, just because of my sex, do NOT like being lumped into a group, and given a stereotype :wink:
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I thought I had put a :tongue: smiley in after my hey!

I do agree with the some men though - I know some know how to say things - just can we say the majority don't haha :flowerforyou: :tongue: :laugh:
  • ppennington
    Options
    This blog and comments gave me a giggle and, original blogger will be happy to know, has made me decide to drag out my Wii and get started. LOVE THIS SITE!
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    I have a wii as well i went to use it the other day and the batteries were dead on my board =( will need to get new ones, anyways i always like to do the free step on the wii while watching tv anything that gets you moving will help(tell your uncle that ;p) my family is like this too, i lost 80lbs before coming to this site,(just have about 30 more to lose) and they had all kinds of suggestions for me and comments, I started killing them with kindness, i am a major smart a** and now i just humor them and laugh about it later because if don't it just makes me mad. So for example my grandma (extremely judgemental) asks me about my weight everytime i go to her house and if she visits me at work she looks me up and down and asks what i have been eating. She is like have you been eating french fries ( i never eat these) and i go yes i eat them every night., while i am smiling through clenched teeth lol. She tries to give me exercise tips LOL this lady drove to the mall to mall walk for 15 min. and then went home. She isn't that old she could do a little extra, anyways I hope this helps
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Don't take it to heart honey. We all know the truth. I use my Wii Fit and my hubby bought it specifically to aid us in weight loss. I hear negativity on each aspect of what I am doing from different people.

I have someone I go to Zumba with tell me that I am being silly for counting calories because that doesn't work. That is doesn't matter your calorie intake?! But... that is their opinion. YOU know that it is working. YOU are doing a great job. YOU ROCK! Don't let anyone get in your kitchen and try to undo your enthusiasm!
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It seems there will always be at least ONE person to say something negative about diet/exercise and its not always a man. I work with a couple of women that would say something like what the OP said her uncle said. They ompliment you, then say something negative when you tell them what you did to lose wt. Its hard not to let it bother you, but at the end of the day does it really matter? YOU got results doing something YOU enjoy. Personally I think if more people would find some type of exercise they ENJOY, they would be consistant and consistancy is what really brings results (JMO of course)
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think you dig out that WII Fit and give it ago. I can't do the gym it doesn't agree with me being around all those hunky men when im sweating like a pig. Running im a so self consious that I just think people are watching me. The wii works for me and the Wii fit plus has an option where you can set it to do a program for you with yogo muscle workouts and the exercise. I can now run a island lap - cycle an island lap and do 10 MINUTES on the Hula Hoop (I can't believe this myself) When I am angry with myself stressed about something or something is getting me cross my wii is there I get on it and do boxing but i normally end up doing extra exercise on these days. I certainly see the difference in my body by only using the Wii Fit and my stomach is much more defined.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    At one time I had a boyfriend that was always saying things that made my job less than his. He worked as an A/C tech and I as retail manager. I challenged him to go a day in my shoes, and I would go a day in his. I spent the day carrying his tools back and forth between the homes and the van, driving around between the job sites, and carrying parts from the warehouse to the van. He didn't lift or carry anything all day. His normal work day was 8.5 hours, that day we ended up doing 10 (summer). At the end of the day he was exhausted. I was fine.

My normal work day was 10 hours (six days a week). He tried to follow me all day. He helped unload trucks, stock the shelves, take care of customers, clean up messes, etc. That day was fairly easy since HE did HALF the lifting and carrying. On a normal day I would be alone doing it all. He crapped out after 7.5 hours. He sat in my office for the rest of my shift. I was better than fine since he had done half the lifting and carrying for me. That was a Saturday, the following Monday he called out of work because his back and feet still hurt. I spent the entire day Sunday taking care of him on my day off.

He never said another word about me being lazy or worked less hard than him. Funny thing, the relationship didn't last much longer...

Energy expended is energy expended no matter how it comes about. If you are striving for cardio workouts, then yes the intensity of the workout needs to be higher, but it really doesn't matter what you are doing to achieve it.

Just my opinion.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about him. You know it works and he obviously could tell it worked...he's just skeptical and you can let him have his skepticism. You have and know the truth, so keep up the great work! It's obviously paying off if everyone is noticing!!!