Food recommendations for work

So I'm trying to eat healthier but I find it a bit difficult to do so when I'm at work (I work in an office). Do you guys have any recommendations for lunches I could make before heading to work (I'm picky as hell lol, I hate cold sandwiches).

We have a mini fridge and a microwave if that helps with any ideas.

Thank you

Replies

• Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Left overs from last night's dinner. ;)

As long as dinner was healthy it makes a great healthy lunch.

I usually make a salad for lunch, lettuce, cheese, cold meat, egg, pesto, seeds and nuts. Nom nom nom.
  • vislas92
    vislas92 Posts: 5
    I come from a large Mexican family, there's hardly ever any leftovers haha. Also, some foods don't taste good (in my opinion) when I heat it up in the microwave.

Salads are always good! With chicken mmmm.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    I come from a large Mexican family, there's hardly ever any leftovers haha. Also, some foods don't taste good (in my opinion) when I heat it up in the microwave.

Salads are always good! With chicken mmmm.

Oh, I see. I only cook for myself, so having leftovers is easy.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    I usually make salads with:
    cold grains (which can be brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, couscous, farro, bulgur...),
    dry-fried or raw veggies (I love red peppers and zucchini but it's really up to you)
    a protein source (cheese, tuna, diced ham....)
    a (good) fat source (extravirgin olive oil)

There's everything I need in it and I can try limitless combinations.
  • mercurywinks
    mercurywinks Posts: 104 Member
    Try cereal and skim, soy, or almond milk. Even the healthiest cereals come in a TON of different flavors and varieties so there is bound to be SOMETHING you like in there. If not there is also oatmeal. You can also try frying up an egg and some veggies. Really, breakfast food is perfect for eating at work because most of it can be premade or made in a microwave and there is lots of healthy options.
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    I prepare a weeks worth of lunches on the weekend and it saves so much time in the end. I have to cook most of my own stuff to keep the sodium content down anyway so it's not a big deal for me. I make chili's, different curries, stir fry, grilled/smoked meats on the bbq, all sorts of stuff. Usually I'll have the same thing for a week at a time. Sometimes I make enough extra to be able to freeze some of it in individual containers that I can use to mix up the meals in an upcoming week. I don't mind the repetition because I like the stuff that I make.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    I cook next day's meals every evening, and I take a portion with me. If for some reason I do not have the time, or the kids are eating leftovers etc, then I either make a sanwich, or a salad. If I absolutely have no time to do even this, which happens maybe once or twice month, I use one of those instant soups, with some bread and cheese. Not the healthiest option, but I like the taste, and I guess still better than a cheeseburger.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Chicken breast - cook it at home and just pop it in the microwave at work. Frozen veggies as sides. Asparagus is good microwaved if you like it. I buy a lo of the steamable packages or single serving microwave packs.
    To mix it up some day do Salad with the chicken. Tuna is good, can make tuna salad (or chicken salad) and make a sandwich, can bring cheese and microwave it for a melt. You can also eat with crackers.
    Pre-cook pasta, bring it with some sauce and microwave it all.
    Stay away from high-fat items like hamburgers or crunchy stuff like tacos... usually don't reheat well.
    If you ever eat breakfast at work, overnight oats is good. Peanut butter is great for a snack, just keep it at a spoon full. Raw veggies with some dressing or PB or caramel.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    How about not being picky? How is one supposed to advise when you might just say 'yeah but I dont like meat, fruit, veg, salad, fish.....'
  • I work overnight and it can be a bit hard. I usually bring a fresh made salad from home as the main course. Fish is easy and quick meat to make when you are pressed for time. I cook dinner/lunch for the day when I get off work in the morning at 530a. That usually helps so that I don't have to get up early. The have steamed veggies that work well at work. Another option.. on your off day, prepare for the week. You can even cook chicken breast etc and freeze it. The options are unlimited. You just have to be willing to put in the little extra time and find a way that works for you if you are really ready for a change.