What's wrong with me?

Options
I'm supposed to be maintaining but I'm gaining. I get to the end of the day and pig out. I sit there without feeling any cravings or desire to eat, I'm full up yet I still think what shall I eat and start eating even though I know I don't really want it and definitely don't need it. Do I have a problem or am I just being greedy?
(I lost weight gradually and reasonably healthily without depriving myself of treats.)

Replies

• nyqueensguy
    nyqueensguy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with you. I struggle with pretty much the same. I cant stay away from the fridge and always want to eat. That's why I am on this site. There is no doubt that logging everything is key. The other is really making up your mind that your not going to try, but your going to do. You gotta really want it.
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey, are you bored on an evening? Is that the trouble? Maybe go for a walk round the block or pick up a book or phone a friend. It is hard to eat when you are on the phone or reading, for instance. Good luck. Jayne
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I still have days when I feel this way. It won't matter if I'm bored or not. Eating will take precedence over anything that I attempt to absorb myself in.

What is it that you're craving? Salty snacks? Sweets? Texture?

What is your eating schedule like? What about your gym schedule? What are your macros like?

In my experience, I have found that all of these factors will affect how hungry you are in the evening and non-hunger cravings in general.
  • Mau_Hutch
    Mau_Hutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hurry out and get a fitbit. I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago and slowly gained back 20 lbs and then couldn't get it off.

I adore the fibit that I got a few weeks ago because I am finally taking off the weight I gained. But I am most excited about using the fitbit when I get to maintenance, because it gives real time feedback about how much I've burned that day and what is left to eat (as long as I log my food). And it has motivated me to increase my daily acitivity level beyond what I try to do to stay fit, like running and strength training. I am walking a LOT more. So, If your fitibt told you that going to the kitchen at 8 pm to get corn nuts and cheese was going to make you gain weight, do you think you'd still go and do it? (I didn't think so).
    Hugs! You can do this!
    Maureen
  • sabrina19782014
    sabrina19782014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey, are you bored on an evening? Is that the trouble? Maybe go for a walk round the block or pick up a book or phone a friend. It is hard to eat when you are on the phone or reading, for instance. Good luck. Jayne

i find doing something constructive with my hands like cross stitching really helps, because it works in several ways.
    1) keeps hands busy
    2) mind is focused on what you are doing not on the food you would be thinking about if you wasnt busy
    3) you have something other than a trim, fit body to show for it at the end

Good Luck
  • Kats223
    Kats223 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do the same. I am so discouraged. I get up every morning and say today I am going to watch what I eat. I can even make it through some days but when I fail I eat even more. I REALLY do want to loose this weight. I know that food is my addiction. Kats
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's normal, at least for me at times. Find something else to do. Go somewhere, do laundry, brush your teeth, take a shower.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I can eat from dusk til dawn and think there are several ways of dealing with this and it involves creating new habits, these are mine:

I just don't give myself permission to eat more than planned except at w/e but this is what suits me, adapt things to suit your weak times

Don't see over eating as surrendering to some inner demon/norty girl/imp on your shoulder - it is a choice and YOU make it

I'm on maintenance but still eat at a small deficit M-F then eat more at w/e

I include treats in my daily cals because it keeps me on track

I log my food the night before (1500 min M-F) and never deviate from it M-F other than to add snacks earned through the day and generally pan out at 1700cals in M-F

I have a Fitbit and it has been key in maintaining for over a year. It makes me get up more and ensures I have earned my 1500, once I exceed that it's spent on bonus snacks which keep me keen and happy. It's set at 250 deficit to keep me on track

I have learned to be strong and positive and "can do", major stuff for someone who feared failure, felt weak and out of control.

Take control, it feels amaaaaaaaaaaaazing! :flowerforyou:
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Oh and make small changes which you can sustain even if that means a slow return to preferred wt or eating styles, better that than resuming feast/famine/failure cycles.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? Sometimes I would start grazing, without any idea what I want. Then I read somewhere that your body may be asking for more water. So now when I feel like grazing, I drink a large glass (at least 16oz) of water and wait 15 minutes. If I still feel like grazing, I find a snack that will satisfy the craving. 90% of the time, I don't feel like eating any more.
  • mrussell60
    Options
    Sounds like you are at the point of recognizing what is preventing you from achieving the health you want. I think we have something in our DNA that drives us to eat when we can - a built in preservation compulsion so to speak. I think you have to have get it your mind this is hurting you in the long run. Being able to maintain weight while cheating won't last forever as you get older. The effort resisting the compulsion to eat will pay off huge. I think you are on the right track and there is nothing wrong with you at all. Good health!
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    I am bored in the evenings. I think you're right. But after running around with my 2 year old all day, I need time to wind down.
    I should try water again. I can't stand water. It makes me feel sick. But saying that I manage 4 cans of diet caffeine free coke every day and have probably just got used to the adverse affects of that! But that could be it. The problem is I don't like tea or coffee either and fruit concentrates bother my stomach as well. I'm probably ridiculously dehydrated all the time.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've been struggling for weeks. Should have asked you guys sooner. X
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    What are your macros like? You may need to switch things up and add more protein and/or fat.
  • JulieBGoood
    JulieBGoood Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way! Good all day and afternoon/evening overeating :(
  • bngdugan
    bngdugan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nothing may be wrong with you at all. I've found that I'm a "evening" eater. Meaning that I have little to no desire to eat early in the day, but little to no food resistance late in the day. So what's to do? Easy, I track my evening calories FIRST (including a nice dessert from time to time since I like an occasional treat at night). Moreover; I insist that I only eat things that I like at all times so that I am satisfied with my meals afterwards. This keeps me from falling off the wagon and into the 'binge>guilt eat>binge again>diet again' cycle. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • smangan19817
    Options
    You might want to consider that you are eating because you are depressed or need more sleep or something to reduce stress. Sounds like your life is very busy. When you feel like eating, perhaps you can take a bubble bath or read a book, whatever relaxes you. This is not an easy path to take, so just think of those bad nights as a detour and get back on the path.
  • Veggie_mama
    Veggie_mama Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just read an article on this very thing! Usually at night, we are bored. We go directly to the fridge. If it's later in the evening, you could also just be plain old tired. I'm guilty of this. I do so well during the day and then at night is when I just want to eat, but I don't feel an overwhelming hunger.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump