Setting up a home weight room

Options
I have a barbell and plates ranging from 2.5 lbs to 25 lbs ( I can put over 100lbs on the bar at a time- being a girl I think that's enough to start with), and am looking online for a bench.

Just curious if anyone else has a home gym and what sort of equipment you have in it.

Also if anyone know's of a good bench brand or website to purchase one that'd be great.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My current home equipment:

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf480-heavy-duty-multi-press-walk-in-squat-rack.php

http://www.amazon.co.uk/York-Fitness-45071-Bench/dp/B000N3T0RS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395226953&sr=8-2&keywords=bench

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-olympic-rubber-radial-barbell-kit-235kg.php

Although I wish I didn't buy it I have:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3358261.htm

Cost an extra £60ish for postage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/84KG-PRO-DUMBELL-SET-PRO-STYLE-FLAT-WEIGHT-DISC-PLATES-MAKES-UP-TO-2-x-42-/171254686672?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item27df9323d0

We also have about 60 of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-INTERLOCKING-EVA-SOFT-FOAM-EXERCISE-FLOOR-MATS-GYM-GARAGE-HOUSE-OFFICE-MAT-/200821078755?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Exercise_Fitness_Fitness_Accessories_ET&var=&hash=item2ec1de7ae3

I can't find it but we have the model above this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3359466.htm

We also have a stepping machine, rowing machine, another 3 barbells, an e-z curl bar, about 120kg extra worth of 1" diameter plates, liquid chalk, straps, belts, two heaters, a fan, a skipping rope and a punching bag.

The equipment that sees the most use are:

The squat rack

The barbell

The dumbbells

The bench

The mats

The treadmill

The bench hasn't had any problems except when I dropped a 52kg dumbbell on it, then it tore slightly, but that's kind of a given and was my own fault. And the tear hasn't affected my workouts.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    We are also starting to put together a home gym and were curious where to start. Thank you for posting this and responder, thank YOU for such a great response with links and everything! Very helpful!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    weight lifting home gym you should have

Bars
    Plates
    Bench
    Squat rack/power cage (something to keep you safe when lifting heavy and no spotter)

That's it...

My husband built me a squat rack so if I do fail when squatting I have a safety net...and works well for when I do OHP.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    We are also starting to put together a home gym and were curious where to start. Thank you for posting this and responder, thank YOU for such a great response with links and everything! Very helpful!

No problem! If you are getting some form of rack go for a power cage with good catchers. The squat rack has catchers but if I slip up during squats without a spotter I am either going to seriously injure myself or be close to it! Luckily 9/10 leg days I have a spotter! The other 1/10 I always stop at least 1 rep before what I would usually do!
  • jhalton
    jhalton Posts: 85
    Options
    Squat rack
    Bench
    Pull up bar
    weights
    dumbells (and or kettlebells)

I bought almost all my stuff on Craigslist.

Good luck!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I started with a bar and small plates at home too. Once I couldn't get the bar over my head anymore, I set up a gym in the garage.

This consisted of a squat rack and bench (homemade - the bench, that is).

I just buy bigger plates as and when I need them.

The only thing I'd change is, I'd go for a power cage or a rack with safety bars - the rack I have doesn't have the safety's so it makes me wary to go for PRs on squat without a spotter.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    LOVE my home gym. Mostly because I'm too lazy to make myself presentable and then drive to a gym.
    Treadmill
    Elliptical
    Free weights and bench
    Power tower
    Weighted body bars
    Rower
    Pilates reformer
    Pilates balls
    Medicine balls
    Yoga mats
    TV/DVD
    and of course a dog bed for my neurotic dog.
  • quigz90
    quigz90 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just have a bench with incline and a barbell with 60kg weights. I train with a partner. Makes it easier and safer for me.

Our routine is

Workout 1
    Squats, flat bench press, incline bench press, bent over rows and tricep work

Workout 2
    Dead lifts, pull-up, shoulder press and bicep curls.

We alternate between the 2 with 3 workouts a week.
    We have only just started using this routing but hopefully we will see good results.

Got my equipment off ebay cheap :)

If I had the room I would like a cage but what I have is good enough for now
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'm heading towards lifting!
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    great responses!! Does anyone have any pictures of their set up?

I was also thinking of using Craigslist to gather some pieces so that I am not a. Going into debt or b. over extending myself financially.

Thanks again!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    great responses!! Does anyone have any pictures of their set up?

I was also thinking of using Craigslist to gather some pieces so that I am not a. Going into debt or b. over extending myself financially.

Thanks again!

Sorry, don't know how to post pics :/

Are you handy (or have a hubby who is)? If so, google powercages plans. I wish I'd done this and am trying to talk my dad into a new project ATM =D. I think this option would be cheaper and better than some of the racks that are out there.
  • Murf2014
    Murf2014 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have an office in the garden that I use half for my home gym. I have:

Elliptical
    Rowing Machine (folded up in photograph)
    Free weights and bench.
    Yoga mat
    Kettlebells (4kg, 6kg, 8kg, 10kg, 12kg and 16kg)

Treadmill is in the house as the wife likes to use that.

Other than the kettlebells and some of the plates which were bought new, everything else was sourced at low cost, second hand from ebay.

HRBAF0J.jpg?1

edited to resize image
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    In my garage I have:

Power Rack
    Olympic Bar and plates totalling about 430lbs (including a couple of bumper plates - more of those are on my list)
    Adjustable bench
    Dumbbell handles that take plates with a 1" hole (I also have a 15lb barbell that takes the 1" plates)
    A bunch of plates with 1" hole
    A couple of smaller dumbbells, some rubber bands, an ab wheel, a bucket of chalk, some of the put together mats for the floor, a stand to hold most of my oly plates, and probably some other stuff.

And most importantly, a badass stereo.

The rack I got cheap as it was a blem (it had a couple of scratches on the paint so was half price - I've put a LOT more scratches on it since). The barbell and most of the plates I bought used, the bench I bought from a friend along with a separate rack/stand (whatever the deal that holds the bar that is connected to some benches but this one's separate) that is currently unused in my backyard but if I can make more room in my garage I'll set it up in there too so I can have two "stations" or whatever.

I have probably around $800 in my whole set-up and it does everything I need. I want to get some more bumper plates and my bar is pretty beat up so I'd like to get a new one at some point but for the time being I'm good.
  • leb01amg
    leb01amg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Olympic weight smith machine, with dip bar, pull-up overhang, & adjustable bench
    Dumb bells, removable plates
    Elliptical machine
    Seated exercise bike
    Treadmill, wide body with power incline
    Heavy punching bag
    300lbs of Olympic plates

Oh to have the kids out of the house:laugh:
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Treadmill
    Squat Rack
    Bench (made out of 4x4's, old bath towels and duct tape)
    Oly Bar
    Axle Bar
    Strongman Log
    Over 1,000lbs of olympic plates
    2 Kegs (1 filled with sand, 1 filled with water)
    Sandbag (250lbs)
    Atlas Stones
    Blast Straps
    Pull Up Bar
    Dip Bars
    Heavy Chains (for accomdating resistance)
    Bands
    Oly DB Handles
    Plate loadable kettlebellish thingy I made from an old barbell collar and some chains
    Fat Grips
    Straps/Wraps/Chalk/Ammonia, etc...
    Plyo/Box Squat Boxes
    Tires
    Farmers Walk Handles
    Sections from a tree trunk that I carry/throw/lift overhead, etc...
    Weighted sled I made from wood
    Ab Wheel
    Rubber Horse Trailer Mat
    Solid Cement Blocks for doing block pulls
    Heavy Bag
    Focus Mitts
    Bag Gloves
    Curl Bar
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I do. I have a treadmill, elliptical, regular dumbells, PowerBlock dumbells, a Bowflex Ultimate 2 and a Bowflex bench. I also have barbells and plates which are currently in storage (yeah, good place for them).

I want to add a squat rack or power rack eventually.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reference!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I've got a pullup bar
    A mat
    A few hex DB's (15's, 25's, 35's)
    Some gymnastic rings (rarely use them)
    Some homemade pvc parallettes
    Treadmill

And that's pretty much it.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This will get you really far: A safety squat rack that has a pullup bar, an adjustable bench, an olympic barbell (with oympic plates), and a standard set of adjustable dumbells with standard plates.

Throw in some exercise mats if you have a hard floor.

For extra credit:
    If you want to do any sort of olympic lifting type movements (cleans, snatches) then get some bumper plates and you may want to build a platform.

Anything else you buy is just extra credit.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I did this too. I was paying $420 a year at the gym and getting impatient with having to share machines so I decided to take that money and buy equipment. I have a flat/incline bench press. I have two 45lb plates, four 10 lb plates, and two 5 lb plates. I am getting some 25 lb plates soon. I have two dumbells that adjust up to 55 lbs each, a pull up bar and a 30lb band that's about it for now. There is a lot you can do with just that. There are so many different ways you can use a set of dumbbells and a Olympic bar bell. Just get what you can for now and over time get more things you need.