Need recipes for fall veggies PLEASE!

Options
I grocery shop for my family once a month and have been issued a challenge to eat at least 5 fruits and veggies a day. I am falling waaaaaay short on that goal but one of the reasons is that I avoid buying a lot of fresh veggies because they go bad by the end of the month and I hate to buy canned veggies because of all the sodium. I use frozen but have realized that I am bored with the same ole, same ole. It was pointed out to me that it is time for the fall veggies and they last a lot longer than most. Problem is, I don't have many recipes for these wonderful veggies. I can honestly say that the only time I have used pumpkin in a recipe is to make pumpkin pie. As for yellow squash, I saute' it with onions. That's about it. Sooooo...to increase my veggie intake I am going to buy some of those fall veggies: pumpkin, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, etc....and I NEED some recipes! Please share!! :)

Replies

• wyld4eva
    wyld4eva Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try going on eatingwell.com or allrecipes.com they should have plenty of recipes. Just type in the veggie that you want acorn squash, spaghetti squash, ext. and you should come up with some great ones. I believe eatingwell also provides nutritional values.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I *LOVE* spaghetti squash. Try making some cooked squash shreds in a casserole with some tomato sauce and cheese. Yummmmm ... or just heat it up on a plate like spaghetti.

I have a great recipe for cucumber jicama salad. Not necessarily fall veggies but very interesting, very good and very low cal. I have teh recipe at home if you'd like to try it, remind me if I don't get back to you :flowerforyou:
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I've not used the eatingwell site and love that it has nutritional values included!
  • LoriT129
    Options
    Jicama is something I have never tried! Please share the recipe!! :)
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It has a flavor and texture similar to a radish but not as bitey. I make this salad all the time in the summer :tongue: I'll be happy to share!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    one of my alltime faves:
    (recipe for 2 but can easily be doubled, tripled ect...)

take one large-ish acorn squash and cut it in half (through the middle horizontally) scoop out seeds and all the stringy ooky stuff and place cut side down in a deep baking dish filled with about 1 inch of water. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes. while its baking brown 2 links of hot italian turkey sausage, crumbling it up as it cooks. Once squash is done (you should be able to pierce it easily with a fork) take them out (carefully cause they're hot!!) turn the cut side up and put 1 tsp brown sugar & a little cinnamon in the bottom, fill with sausage and put 1 tsp brown sugar & more cinnamon on top. put it back in the oven until the brown sugar melts a little and gets darker (about 7-8 minutes)

this is really filling and can be a full meal. If anything I only add some steamed veggies on the side or maybe a salad with a light vinaigrette style dressing, nothing too heavy because the squash will fill you up!
  • Nikiki
    Options
    and two more (sorry they're from a blog so you'll have to read for the recipe, lol but they're worth it! my nephews LOVED it)
    http://craptofixifyouaintmartha.blogspot.com/2009/10/nikkis-savory-sausage-squash-casserole.html
    http://craptofixifyouaintmartha.blogspot.com/2009/11/nikkis-belated-apple-squash-bake.html
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have found some good recipes on sparkrecipes.com, they even have the nutritional value. I just made butternut squash soup yesterday from a recipe I found on there, it turned out good!
  • LoriT129
    Options
    one of my alltime faves:

take one large-ish acorn squash and cut it in half (through the middle horizontally) scoop out seeds and all the stringy ooky stuff and place cut side down in a deep baking dish filled with about 1 inch of water. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes. while its baking brown 2 links of hot italian turkey sausage, crumbling it up as it cooks. Once squash is done (you should be able to pierce it easily with a fork) take them out (carefully cause they're hot!!) turn the cut side up and put 1 tsp brown sugar & a little cinnamon in the bottom, fill with sausage and put 1 tsp brown sugar & more cinnamon on top. put it back in the oven until the brown sugar melts a little and gets darker (about 7-8 minutes)

this is really filling and can be a full meal. If anything I only add some steamed veggies on the side or maybe a salad with a light vinaigrette style dressing, nothing too heavy because the squash will fill you up!

OHMYSWEETGOODNESS! That sounds soooo good! I think my teenagers would even eat this!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have also found that a good way to 'sneak' veggies in is to add pumpkin puree or shredded zucchini to tomato sauce for pizza and pasta. Zucchini bread is delicious too(also found a recipe on sparkrecipies.com that I use).
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I LOVE butternut squash and pumpkin! I have not cooked with real pumpkin (only canned) but that is one of my goals for this fall. Bumping so I can reply with a great butternut squash soup recipe when I have more time. Butternut squash is also great just roasted and then mashed.
  • akaDumbo
    Options
    There are about a dozen squash recipes here: http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes/squash and there are plenty of other veggie recipes on that site too
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe my vegetarian friend gave me. She does this for dinner.

Zuccini casserole
    3 sliced zuccinis
    2 sliced tomatoes
    1lb bag of mozzarella
    salt pepper
    oregano

In casserole dish , layer sliced zuccini and tomato. sprinkle with m ozzarella cheese until covered top by sprinkling with 2 tsp salt and pepper, oregano to desire, (Repeat. 2-3 layers is ideal)

Bake uncovered @350 for 30-45 minutes until top layer of cheese is golden brown.

I have not plugged this into the calorie counter and as with anything you can make your own adjustments. Hope you enjoy.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    We shred zucchini with a cheese shredder and add tomato sauce, bread crumbs, mozzarella cheese and if you want to either browned beef, sausage or chicken. Mix it all up and bake it for about 30 minutes at 350. It can either be a side dish or a main dish. Sometimes we add other veggies too like bell peppers, onions, or yellow squash. It had no name and is just something we'd do if we have too many zucchinis in the garden and they get too big before getting picked.

Jeannie
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are FABULOUS as a side dish to just about anything, my friend. Just pop them in the oven (be sure to put foil under them as they make a mess) and bake them. Then you can sprinkle them with a tiny bit of sugar and cinnamon. You are getting fiber, vitamins A and C, plus it is the best source of beta carotene! Here is a favorite recipe of mine:

Sweet Potato Soup
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 large sweet potato, diced
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 carrots, thinly sliced
    4 cups vegetable stock or water
    1 1/2 tsp coriander
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 cups evaporated skim milk
    Chopped cilantro for garnish

1. In a soup pot, heat oil and saute potatoes, onions, celery, and carrots until softened, about 5 min
    2. Add vegetable stock or water, coriander, and thyme and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 1 hr
    3. For a chunkier soup, puree only half the soup in a blender or food processor before simmering, for a creamy soup, puree all the soup
    4. Return to the pot and add evaporated skim milk. Garnish with chopped cilantro.

I'm not sure of how many servings the recipe makes but I know a serving size is one cup (8 oz). I may have to make a pot soon and I'll figure out the serving sizes so I can enter the recipe here and get the calories. But I'm fairly certain its not bad! Enjoy!

~Angela
  • bowerstm3
    Options
    bump!
  • LoriT129
    Options
    Love sweet potatoes! These recipes are great. I am making my grocery list and we will be trying all of these! Any more??
  • Nikiki
    Options
    one of my alltime faves:

OHMYSWEETGOODNESS! That sounds soooo good! I think my teenagers would even eat this!

haha it is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! this was the dish that single-handedly that transformed my husband from white bread/meat/potatos and thats it to more adventurous, he found it online and it involved sausage (first time we made it was with pork italian sausage but it was too greesy) and its become a staple. I can't imagine anyone not liking it!
  • Nikiki
    Options
    for the sweet potatoes: slice sweet potatoes into cubes, put them in a dish with a little water and microwave until they just start to soften (stirring them a few times to evenly cook) then put a drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick pan and dump the sweet potatos in with chopped onions salt and pepper and cook until they start to brown on medium-high heat. don't be afraid if they start to look a little burnt, they'll taste fine :)

this dish my dad & his gf make almost every saturday
  • Nikiki
    Options
    oh and another! since you said you have teenagers you probably need to be sneeky with the healthy foods you give them right? if you take pureed butternut squash (either canned or slice the squash in half, longways, clean it, put cut side down in a baking dish with 1 inch of water and bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork, allow to cool and scoop out the meat and puree it your food processor (or blender) and sub out the squash for half the cheese in any mac & cheese recipe (or any recipe that calls for cheese) to significantly cut down the fat & calories and adds more fiber so less will fill them more. the color is so similar to the cheese and the creamy texture blends right in, the flavour is very light so they wont even know its in there!

fresh squah & pumpkin puree keeps in the fridge for about a week and freezes VERY well, I use those little glad & ziplock storage containers that hold about a cup, fill them up (leaving a little room for expanding) and stick them in the freezer. if you plan to freeze them for a long time i'd suggest putting a layer of plastic wrap on top the squash, pressing it down into the puree before lidding it to keep it from getting freezer burn :)