Sprained Ankle

Options
I sprained my ankle walking back to the hotel from the Eagles concert a few weeks ago. I did not seek any medical attention. The first week, It could not support any weight at all. Now, I can walk on it but any side to side pressure or movement is painful.
Prior to this incident I was doing 3 miles on the treadmill in 35 minutes and doing 45 minutes of dumbbell exercises, six days a week. I have maintained the dumbbell exercises with the exception of lunges or anything that put stress on my ankle.
Today I was thinking I could tape it up real good and at least do a brisk walk on the treadmill (3.5 pace for 15 minutes). I am curious of what others have done to rehabilitate this type of injury and when they resumed their normal workout.

Replies

• silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I once sprained my ankle so badly the doctor couldn't believe it wasn't broken. I asked a friend with a nursing background how long the damn thing took to heal after about 5 weeks of utter frustration - and knowing my stubbornness far too well he told me "if you don't stay off of it? Forever!" He then proceeded to roll his eyes at me when I told him "yah that's not an option, next?"

So trust me I feel your pain.

Using a pool can help. If you do laps I'd suggest doing strokes that rely on your arms (sculling, arms only free style). But what I'd actually recommend is see if there is an aquasize class and discuss with the instructor that you have a sprained ankle. You could easily do a lot of the class supported by a float belt and/or using the pool wall for support so that you aren't putting stress on your ankle and the instructor should be able to modify any moves that you can't do.

I used to lifeguard and teach both shallow and deep water aquacizes. They can be a very good low strain workout.