Rich/fatty foods going straight though me?

Options
I've been eating vegetarian healthy foods since the beginning of February, and I also cut out fatty foods (ice cream, cakes, sweets etc).
Yesterday I suddenly fancied having a cream cheese sandwich, but I got half way though and decided to leave it because it tasted really rich after the plain food I've been living on. Shortly after I began having really bad stomach cramps and had to rush of to the loo!
Is it possible that after eating healthily for 6/7 weeks that my digestion can't handle rich/fatty foods anymore? Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is normal, but yes, I've had this issue too. I do think that our bodies react to what we eat. This happens with fast food too.
  • AdelinaRosalina
    Options
    Honestly, it's not likely your body completely stopped tolerating it, only that it stopped getting used to those foods. I would slowly reintroduce them back into your diet, not as a staple but so that you can consume them in the future and not be sick. However if problems like that continue I'd seek out a doctor or nutritionist to see if perhaps you have some sort of allergy to say, cream cheese.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    No matter what it is, our bodies tend to not like things that they're not used to.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It might be a lactose issue? High amounts of dairy, even in people who can tolerate lactose, can cause intestinal issues.

Also, on the off chance you have had your gallbladder removed, this can cause the *ahem* quick passage of fatty foods. (at least it sometimes does for me)
  • Lindforth
    Lindforth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It might be a lactose issue? High amounts of dairy, even in people who can tolerate lactose, can cause intestinal issues.

Also, on the off chance you have had your gallbladder removed, this can cause the *ahem* quick passage of fatty foods. (at least it sometimes does for me)

Funnily enough, I did have my gallbladder removed two years ago; but up until I changed my diet I was eating ice cream etc with no ill effect - in fact my digestion was really slow and leaving me feeling bloated. I switched to a vegetarian diet to correct that (it has helped) but yesterday was my first "naughty" lapse.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you eat low fat, then you suddenly eat very fatty food, your body has difficulty digesting it because it regulates the amount of bile and enzymes produced in response to what you eat

you don't need to eat low fat to lose fat. you just need to stay within your calorie goal. Fat is an essential nutrient and there are several fat soluble vitamins that only occur naturally in fatty foods. So eat more fat... but raise the amount of fat you eat gradually, so your body has time to adapt to it

re gall bladder - bile is produced in the gall bladder, so gall bladder issues can cause people to have difficulty digesting fatty foods, in this situation consult a doctor for advice.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No matter what it is, our bodies tend to not like things that they're not used to.

So true. Sometimes suddenly switching to "clean" eating can leave people feeling like crap at first.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    it can totally be tied to the change in your diet. and in combination with your gall bladder surgery as well. I had my gall bladder removed 40 years ago. I've dieted off/on my entire life, yo-yo'ing weight my entire life. I've also suffered with the "dumping" symdrone forever as well. I started my journey with this diet plan last July. Then last October I had a horrid bout with pancreatitis. They did tests for a month afterward, everything under the sun. Came up with no reason on earth why, except for the change in my diet. I ended up seeing a surgeon, and he prescribed a medication called "cholestyramine" for the dumping and it is a miracle. However, since October, I can no longer tolerate eating anything sweet, like any candy, sweets, cakes, ice cream, anything of that sort. Natural sugars in things, no problem. But eating anything else, causes horrid stomach cramps and an attack-like pains. So, I now have to stay away from things like that. So a change in diet can definitely cause digestion problems. Good or bad? That is decided by each individual. It doesn't bother me to not have sweets in my diet so it's ok with me.