Cabbage

Replies

• ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    I love this basic soup recipe. I've been making it once a week. I eat it almost daily and add grilled chicken, minced turkey or chicken sausage for protein. I use chicken stock. Very versatile and you can add different veggies. I double the veggies in the recipe. Enjoy!

http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-0-point-weight-watchers-cabbage-soup-128956
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Often I just eat it boiled and put some butter on it.

Shredded and sautéed with some sesamee oil and peanut butter.

I will section it, put it into my crock pot with some whole mushrooms and pre-cooked rice. Top it all off with 1 can of low-sodium/low-fat cream of mushroom soup diluted with 1 can of water. Throw in some spices and let it cook all day. I top it off with a sprinkle of bacon.

It's also delicious when par cooked, then rolled up around a mixture of goat cheese, dill, and crushed garlic then baked.
  • kerryradz
    kerryradz Posts: 81 Member
    I used it as a base for a stir fry last week - add all your fav veggies, some chicken breasts. low sodium soy, garlic and chili. yum! :flowerforyou:
  • kerryradz
    kerryradz Posts: 81 Member
    I love this basic soup recipe. I've been making it once a week. I eat it almost daily and add grilled chicken, minced turkey or chicken sausage for protein. I use chicken stock. Very versatile and you can add different veggies. I double the veggies in the recipe. Enjoy!

http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-0-point-weight-watchers-cabbage-soup-128956

I had this the other night with some left over chicken, subbed the herbs for chilis and paprika though. yum!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Edit...I didn't read before I posted. I also make the cabbage and bacon. It's so good. Made cabbage rolls on Sunday, those are pretty easy too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I eat cabbage all of the time as a veg side. I generally slice it really thin like you would for coleslaw or something and throw it in my big saute pan with some olive oil. I generally throw in some thinly sliced onion as well and add a little s&p and a couple dashes of white wine, cover and cook on medium low for about 15 minutes stiring it up occasionally. Sometimes I also throw in some crumbled up bacon as well.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    German friend taught me this one:

slice up cabbage
    chop some onions and garlic
    cut up some bacon

cook bacon in frying pan (pour off excess oil), add cabbage, garlic, onions and a little cayenne if you like some heat and cook until onions and cabbage are soft.

I love this and find it makes a great side dish. I usually use 1 slice of bacon for each serving, so it isn't really bad for calories and you don't have to add any cooking oil since you are cooking everything in the residual bacon grease.

I make this all the time and I LOVE it! It's so good!

Also my mom used to make chicken stir fry with lots of other veggies and a bunch of cabbage and cashews... It was so good!
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    I love runza's! Basic eastern european meat pie cabbage ground beef onions garlic and paprika stuffed in an ever so slightly sweet dough and baked.... To make it easy buy a pre-made dough of your liking....
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Yum, some great ideas here, keep em coming please :)
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    my new favorite is roasted cabbage. I slice the head of cabbage in slices about 1 inch thick. spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray place the slices on the sheet and spray the top of them with the spray and add salt and pepper. I roast it at 350* - 375* for about 20-30 min. I always wait until the outside edges burn a little because that is my favorite part. it is wonderful I am going to have it tonight with ham.

Similar to this but with balsamic dressing and crushed garlic. so delicious!

you have me interested.... Do you drizzle the dressing over the cabbage before you roast it and how do you do the crushed garlic?

I drizzle the balsamic and then spread the crushed garlic. or you could mix the garlic with the balsamic and pour it that way.
  • Srsmith1955
    Srsmith1955 Posts: 29 Member
    Bump - I love Cabbage
  • ctkimmie
    ctkimmie Posts: 21 Member
    This will work with green cabbage, but is especially good, with red cabbage.
    BRAISED CABBAGE WITH CARAWAY SEED:

1 head cabbage (1 to 1-1/2 lbs)
    1 teaspoon butter
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon sugar
    freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
    1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, or to taste.

Cut cabbage into wedges, about 2 inches thick. In a large skillet, melt the butter, than add the cabbage, parsley, sugar, pepper broth, and caraway seeds. Cover the skillet, and cook, at medium heat, for 12 to 15 minutes, stir occasionally. Cook until cabbage has reached desired degree of doneness. Adjust to your allowances - if you don't use butter, leave it out - substitute agave, if you don't use sugar - use any broth or stock (preferably low sodium) or substitute stock flavor cube and 1/2 cup water - crush the caraway, or leave it whole - don't like caraway - leave it out.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    http://www.food.com/recipe/asian-ramen-coleslaw-180352

My family loves this Ramen Coleslaw! Instead of the bag of cabbage you can just thinly chop up the head of cabbage you bought. It's also quick and easy and delicious with a bag of broccoli slaw.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I love runza's! Basic eastern european meat pie cabbage ground beef onions garlic and paprika stuffed in an ever so slightly sweet dough and baked.... To make it easy buy a pre-made dough of your liking....

omg that sounds amazing!
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Also you can slice the cabbage into 1/2" sliced and put some olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper and grill them. Also very tasty
  • kellylee6887
    kellylee6887 Posts: 17 Member
    German friend taught me this one:

slice up cabbage
    chop some onions and garlic
    cut up some bacon

cook bacon in frying pan (pour off excess oil), add cabbage, garlic, onions and a little cayenne if you like some heat and cook until onions and cabbage are soft.

I love this and find it makes a great side dish. I usually use 1 slice of bacon for each serving, so it isn't really bad for calories and you don't have to add any cooking oil since you are cooking everything in the residual bacon grease.

I do pretty much the same thing as a side dish. But for a complete dinner, I add sliced polish sausage. YUM!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

I think you're the only person I've actually come in contact with outside of my own family who even knows what a runza is...I love runzas...my mom makes them for me every birthday.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    I roast large wedges of it with olive oil, pepper, and salt, and then drizzle it with a home made garlic aoili o:
    It's delicious!
  • mominstands
    mominstands Posts: 83 Member
    Quick Cabbage Casserole

Brown ground turkey/beef or sausage
    Shredded Cabbage
    1 can Rotel Tomatoes, drained
    Shredded Cheese

Combine first 3 ingredents in a covered baking dish. Bake until cabbage is done to your liking (about 30 mins)
    Top with shredded cheese and bake until cheese melted........and it's done.

Even Kids who don't like cabbage love this dish.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    My favorite way to eat cabbage is sliced and braised in beer, then finished with caraway seeds and a little butter. This is another recipe I've been wanting to try: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2122878