Willpower

Options
Hi All,
I am new to myfitnesspal.com. I have used sparkpeople, truestar and weight watchers but so far I am really liking myfitpal. I hired a personal trainer back in November and all I have seen is weight GAIN. I have about 50 lbs to lose. I have lowered my blood pressure, doubled my bicep strength, increase my flexibility by 2", etc. but I CANNOT overcome my food addiction.

I went from eating fast food every day and whatever I wanted to clean, balanced home made planned meals within my calorie limits. HOWEVER I can't stop a binge day. It over takes my life. All I do every day is think about food. When do I get to eat next, what do I get to eat, how bad I want to eat this and that and everything. It's never enough.

The fitness world was really hard for me the first few months - and even though I have made mountainous changes I am very hard on myself. For the month of February my trainer told me to stop tracking my food and just eat healthy because we figured my cortisol levels were through the roof because ANY extra calorie I was punishing myself for.

Now the nutritionist told me I need to stop eating 4-5 hours before bed. I work very long days so this means I now also bring dinner to work with me. When I go to the gym it's not so bad but ANY time I am in the kitchen I end up snacking. I'm not snacking on "bad things" either, things like fruit, peanut butter, prunes, etc. but I really need to stop.

Any advice on gaining WILL POWER :) and overcoming food addictions?
XXOO

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Some foods will be trigger foods for you. Identify those foods and cut them out of your life, completely, the way an alcoholic cuts alcohol. Not one bite.

People often times don't binge on things like fresh fruit, and salad. Fill your life up with the foods that will nourish you and let you stop when you are full.
  • cloverfield4
    cloverfield4 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm new here, too, and can relate to the binge eating struggle. I'm sure others will have much more insight than me, but the only thing that helped me was a therapist. I realized I was eating for emotional reasons and until I tackled those emotional reasons, I couldn't stop the bingeing. I still do it once in a while, but I'm much more aware of why I'm doing it, and able to forgive myself for doing it.

Congrats on making great progress with your nutritionist and trainer! Maybe it's time to throw a counselor/therapist into the mix, too?

Bingeing is not about willpower, it is about coping with emotions.

Good luck!! :heart:
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    What is "currently" working for me is eating clean. I say currently because it's only been a couple of weeks however, I have had almost zero sugar (with the exception of fruits, including artificial sweetener since then. I am able to say no to cravings that I would have not been able to in the past.

I'm not there yet but I feel like what I am doing is something that I can sustain for a lifetime. Whenever I see something that looks good, I think, "How can I make this at home in a way that fits into my new lifestyle?" It's almost a challenge and it is exciting.

This website http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/ has been a godsend. It has so many resources and recipes that support my new way of eating.
  • kia_runs
    kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have you been able to find any help?
  • shanniem1
    shanniem1 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I definitely have really good days and really bad days! I have been thinking about a hypnotist or something. With my training, my weight has been going UP (clothes aren't tighter) so I know I am gaining muscle but it is still discouraging and I wonder when the fat will come off and things will turn around the other way.