Is my workout routine okay or not?

Options
Monday-Saturday
-a mix of jog and walk or cycling for 1 hour.
-Jump rope 5 mins
-100 squats (50 v squats- 50 sumo squats)
-Crunches, leg raise & toe reach (100x each)
-plank 1min. (3x)

MWF: (upper body)
-wide push ups 50
-chest press 50
-pec fly 50
-light dumbbells (30 delt combo, 100 for triceps)

TTHS: (legs)
-jumping jacks 200
-lunges 100
-sidesteps 100
-kick back 100 each leg
-more squats

Sunday: walk for 1 hour (rest day)

I've been doing this since last week. I workout at 5 pm and after that I don't eat anything. I'm 150lbs now. I want to get to 115. Do you think my workout is good? And by the way, I don't count my calories. I think I consume around 2000-2500 cal a day! Lol! I don't count calories because it bothers me so much... Do you think I should lower my calorie intake?

Replies

• jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If your main goal is weight loss the way to get there is through your diet. I'm sure before long, someone will post the link, but the "In Place of a Roadmap" post in the forums here is a good place to get started on how to do that.

As for your workout routine itself, I would guess you're spending a ton of time doing all of that. Realistically, if you just started a week ago, and now are doing 90+ minutes of exercising 6 days a week, you're going to burn out and give up sooner than later.

Also, doing so many reps of each exercise means your body is basically going to treat it as cardio. If you can do 100 body weight squats in a couple of sets you're not stressing your muscles enough to build muscle or really gain strength and will plateau out in the results you can see pretty quickly (probably around the time you get tired of your 90 minute/day workouts). I'd recommend doing WAY fewer reps, and increasing the resistance/difficulty of each move. In general, if you can do more than 10 or so reps in a given set, you need to increase the resistance. You mention having dumbells, which can help to some degree (though I'd recommend a barbell).

Basically it sounds like you're trying to do too much too soon. You don't need to work out 10 hours a week in order to get into shape. Fix your diet first, then experiment with different types of exercises to find something you enjoy and can stick with longer term. If you find that its running, start with 30 minutes a day. If its weightlifting, work on "Stronglifts 5x5" and stick with that, if its body weight exercises, keep with those.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the workout routine you posted, but I'd probably rather see someone start out slower and have their progress be sustainable.
  • Miansun
    Miansun Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    It's fine if you're trying to increase your muscular endurance.

If you're trying to lose weight, that's more about whether or not you're in calorie deficit consistently or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I don't count my calories. I think I consume around 2000-2500 cal a day! Lol! I don't count calories because it bothers me so much... Do you think I should lower my calories?
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. No matter how many jumping jacks you do. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

Edited to add read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this since last week. I workout at 5 pm and after that I don't eat anything. I'm 150lbs now. I want to get to 115. Do you think my workout is good? And by the way, I don't count my calories. I think I consume around 2000-2500 cal a day! Lol! I don't count calories because it bothers me so much... Do you think I should lower my calorie intake?

You need to be consistent.
    Eating after five doesn't matter.
    If your objective is weight loss, knowing how much you eat, calorie wise is far more effective than the amount or type of exercise you do. (Although exercise is very important for other reasons).

I think you should track your calories before you think about lowering them.
    Consistency is the key you are looking for.
  • Miansun
    Miansun Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'll be counting my calories starting today. :)