Anyone else have a hard time eating healthy when sick?

I have been doing so well. But the past few days I am dealing with a cold/flu/body ache thing that I can't shake. I don't even really have an appetite but I have such low energy that I find myself eating just to stay awake during work etc. Am I alone? Any suggestions?

Replies

• chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    I find when I am sick - I eat just awful!! I do not want the healthy stuff if I am hungry at all. In fact ill enough tracking goes out the window!! Try to keep your fluids up - hot teas & lots of water to flush the cold out of you! Try healthy soups as well

If you are not against meds - and I am not sure where you live however I found Alka seltzer plus cold & flu helps me feel normal enough to stay on track and keep up with my day. Note: if you takes any prescription meds speak with a pharmacist before using.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Yes and No. I don't want to eat so I end up eating smoothies and ice cream and such. In the end I am around my macro's I just do in with ish foods. Protien drinks and such.
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Thanks! Someone else recommended Alka Seltzer. I took Dayquil today to get me moving for work...but it's not helping much. I'll pick some Alka Seltzer Cold after work. I just don't want to spiral out of control with my eating. And yet, all I want is comfort food...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Honest answer - I have not been truly sick in a couple of years, which predates the whole MFP thing for me. But when I'm really sick, with a cold and/or flu, I tend to have zero appetite and then crave less-than-awesome stuff like Arby's roast beef or chocolate Ovaltine. So that's what I eat, and then in a day or two I am eating healthy and feeling healthy again :-)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    This probably sounds crazy when you're in the midst of seriously feeling sick...but I have found that PowerAde Zero is AWESOME when I have cold/flu symptoms coming on. I used to take stuff like Dayquil at the first signs and now I drink PowerAde instead and I seriously think it helps me more, and has kept a lot of the sicker feelings and "medicine head" etc, at bay. Maybe worth a shot?

(FTR I find PowerAde pretty gross when I am not feeling ill)
  • PLAID1977
    It's been a while for me too. Probably 10 years since I've been sick like this. As a teacher, and a pretty healthy eater, I pride myself on my rock-solid immune system. I think my body is in shock right now!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    When I'm sick, I don't worry about what I'm eating as long as it makes me feel better.
  • PLAID1977
    Poweraide!, Hmm...I'll give it a try. I'm sure fluids/hydration are key so that makes sense!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    When I'm sick I don't eat well, but I eat less.
    I just crave vanilla ice cream, gingerale, and bread with butter.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Yes!!! I pretty much just eat bread with loads of peanut butter followed with lots of milk. I never feel like cooking anything, and this is just convenient.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    I absolutely get this. I currently have strep throat and in the evenings after work I'm exhausted and begin to get hot & cold flashes so I'd rather go directly to bed than stay up to make a full, nutritious dinner!
    I've found by making myself fruit smoothies and omelettes with dry toast, it helps me get my healthy foods in but still doesn't require a lot of prep or effort.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Yes, oh yes. You'd think our bodies would crave nutrient-dense, healthy food when we're sick, but I know almost no one who wants a salad topped with chicken breast and avocado when they have a bug. No, we want chicken soup, the more noodles the better, or mac and cheese, or PB straight from the jar, or an entire batch of chocolate-chip cookies. (OK, maybe some of us always want the cookies and use feeling like a limp rag as an excuse. :smile: )

I was just about to write my own "I have a cold and want my comfort food" post. I have an appetite when I'm sick, but I crave carbs topped with dairy products, interspersed with sugar. I hope that if I take vitamins and watch the portions on the carb-laden goodness it should all balance out when I'm feeling better and get back to exercising and actually enjoying veggies.

Feel better soon, and take a day off work if you can.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    when I'm sick, I generally don't worry about this **** too much...i get plenty of fluids and rest up. i don't generally have much of an appetite anyway when I'm truly sick...again, I just rest up. there is such a thing as being overly obsessed with this ****.
  • laureneliset
    laureneliset Posts: 50 Member
    Every time! The very last thing I want when I'm ill is any kind of vegetable or salad leaves. Yuck. My body wants easily digestible comfort foods so that's what I give it, because ultimately when my body is fighting illness it needs energy to do so. I try and find the healthiest energy foods I can think of (sweet potatoes, bananas, a fruit and nut bar with coconut, or my favourite thai dessert - bananas cooked in coconut milk with roasted sesame seeds and sea salt). I also remind myself that dairy, wheat and refined sugar (that would be my guilty grande caramel latte and croissant then...) will only make my illness last longer.

However, instead of going to work and forcing yourself through the day on food just to stay awake (a feeling which could last a few days), why not take a sick day, allow yourself to sleep and drink tons of water, and you may find you recover enough to not have to rely on spikes in your blood sugar levels to keep you awake for the next few days.
  • PLAID1977
    Yes, oh yes. You'd think our bodies would crave nutrient-dense, healthy food when we're sick, but I know almost no one who wants a salad topped with chicken breast and avocado when they have a bug. No, we want chicken soup, the more noodles the better, or mac and cheese, or PB straight from the jar, or an entire batch of chocolate-chip cookies. (OK, maybe some of us always want the cookies and use feeling like a limp rag as an excuse. :smile: )

I was just about to write my own "I have a cold and want my comfort food" post. I have an appetite when I'm sick, but I crave carbs topped with dairy products, interspersed with sugar. I hope that if I take vitamins and watch the portions on the carb-laden goodness it should all balance out when I'm feeling better and get back to exercising and actually enjoying veggies.

Feel better soon, and take a day off work if you can.

So I'm not the only one at all!! I did good all day yesterday, no choice as I could only eat what I brought. Then I went home and ate chocolate chip cookies and Cadbury mini eggs in bed for dinner!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    yes, I could eat everything in sight! I have the mindset that if I eat I will feel better, working on that. What I need is rest, soup, medicine not food!

Last time I did pretty well, I upped the protein. I love small hamburgers and fries when I am sick. I don't know why but it works also soup. Peanut butter, protein bars. I love chips, they do not make me well, I have to repeat that over and over.

I think I am the only one that gains weight when I am sick. It is my comfort stuff. I just keep saying I don't need food. Think what I do need. I guess we should give ourself a little slack when we are sick but not too much. I just kept eating and eating, it is insane. Those are lucky that have no appetite at this time. Remind myself I am hurting myself, doing something destructive is not helping me.
  • accebersmith
    accebersmith Posts: 96 Member
    OMG, yes! We've all been sick with a cold, and my eating has gone completely to crap. It's like I revert to old patterns of eating for comfort. I'm so glad it's not just me.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    If I'm not well I generally want carbs and sugar and fat. Comfort food basically. To be honest, when I'm ill I'm more concerned about getting better than sticking to my calories. Your body needs fuel when ill and you can get back on track when you're better.
    Hope you feel better soon x
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    When I have migraines (like now), I want full-sugar Coca Cola, popcorn, crackers, potato chips, corn chips. Salty fatty carbs. It actually seems to help if I take migraine meds with the cola - I'm sure it has to do with the caffeine (diet sodas make it worse; likely the aspertame or other fake sugar). I hydrate like crazy, but I still want those carbs. Can't stomach the idea of proteins when I'm in the middle of a brain-banger. blech.
  • RunnrMike
    RunnrMike Posts: 14 Member
    Came down with something resembling stomach flu yesterday, around noon. Didn't eat a thing after breakfast and by the end of the day, I felt very weak and just laid around. Got to bed early and feel much better today. Trying to eat extra food today to get caught up to regular energy levels. Not much you can do when your body doesn't want to eat, just do your best and find things that are easy on your stomach, like toast, apple sauce, etc. Oh, you should try to stay hydrated, that I had to force myself to do.. ...still catching up today.