BCAA Side Effects

Options
Hello, I have recently added a BCAA to my diet and have noticed hot flashes. The effect will last for about an hour and vanish. It happens within minutes of taking the BCAA powder. My skin turns red, I feel prickly and itchy, tingly all over - like I have been dipped in menthol. Is this normal? Is it harmful? Is it worth it? Thanks.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Stop taking it for a week or two. If the problems go away, you have your answer.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Which one are you using?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have recently added a BCAA to my diet and have noticed hot flashes. The effect will last for about an hour and vanish. It happens within minutes of taking the BCAA powder. My skin turns red, I feel prickly and itchy, tingly all over - like I have been dipped in menthol. Is this normal? Is it harmful? Is it worth it? Thanks.

Sounds almost like there's some beta alanine in your supp
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Which one are you using?

This. Check the ingredients, sounds like it has Niacin in it which is in most preworkouts, not BCAAs necessarily and causes that effect.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    +1 on the beta alanine.. I don't use much in the way of supplements these days, but that is a side effect I remember well. I couldn't stand it!
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    Yeah, that's totally Beta alanine. You can get just plain ol' BCAA powder (or a mix with Glutamine, which I like too) that doesn't have that in it and mix it with protein. Personally, I kinda like the Beta alanine tingles. I'm weird like that.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's called "flushing" and can beta alanine (most likely) or niacin, as people have noted. It often goes away after a few weeks and aside from the discomfort, isn't generally a health issue. If it continues or is a bother, switch brands.
  • spunkymonkey123
    spunkymonkey123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tri-Prep Branch Chain Amino Acid. Grape flavor. I take one scoop.

Thanks for you comments. Very informative.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Oh dear, me too just now after drinking mine for the first time, tingly/itchy and vision a little strange. So get one without beta alanine and niacin it is!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a niacin flush to me! My uncle thought it would be fun to give all us kids niacin once just to see how we'd react. >:) I remember it vividly...
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

The ingredients list only BCAAs, no beta-alanine or niacin. Try taking half a scoop.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

The ingredients list only BCAAs, no beta-alanine or niacin. Try taking half a scoop.

Could be hidden behind a 'proprietary blend'. Certainly sounds like BA, buzzing and tingling myself from my BA supplement.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I think, after three years, she's probably fine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Oh dear, me too just now after drinking mine for the first time, tingly/itchy and vision a little strange. So get one without beta alanine and niacin it is!

Or just stop buying BCAA... they are overhyped and if you are consuming whey or adequate protein, you are getting more than enough BCAAs. The except would be a low protein diet.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »

Could be hidden behind a 'proprietary blend'. Certainly sounds like BA, buzzing and tingling myself from my BA supplement.

Nope, no proprietary blends.

tri-pep-watermelon.png
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Or just stop buying BCAA... they are overhyped and if you are consuming whey or adequate protein, you are getting more than enough BCAAs. The except would be a low protein diet.

Yeppers. The main thing you're paying for with the majority of supplements is either the taste or the placebo effect
  • kvarkevisser
    kvarkevisser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »

Nope, no proprietary blends.

tri-pep-watermelon.png

The entire thing is a proprietary blend and seems to be filled up a lot (extra ingredients).. These fillers, sweeteners and color enhancers could very well be the cause.

If you insist on using BCAA's... Buy a pure product and accept the fact that it tastes like kitty litter
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's totally Beta alanine. You can get just plain ol' BCAA powder (or a mix with Glutamine, which I like too) that doesn't have that in it and mix it with protein. Personally, I kinda like the Beta alanine tingles. I'm weird like that.

Yeah, I like it too.. It lets me know It's time to go.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

Yeah, I like it too.. It lets me know It's time to go.

Same here.... Game on!