3rd day

Options
Today is my 3rd day. I am SO hungry! I am just munching on low calorie foods and trying to stay busy!

Replies

• Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I too, went through that phase. Drink a ton of water, eat a spinach salad with tuna you can get pass this. The key is to drink plenty of water.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    It gets better - keep on the low cal snacks (carrots are my best friends - though celery would be better - and I have eaten a head of romaine lettuce a leaf at a time :blushing: ), drink lots of water (for a couple of weeks, you will probably have to get up several times at night but that passes as well), and maybe add an afternoon snack - I love the low fat cheese sticks and baby bells - they can really help with the hunger pains.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    It was hard for me the first week too! I think it takes time for your body to adjust to the fewer calories but you should soon see that you get more satisfied and less hungry. I still do have some days that I am extra hungry (especially around that time of month). Snacking on low calorie foods is a great idea. I will usually eat celery sticks and drink hot tea or sparkling flavored water when I am SO hungry but know I shouldn't be :)

Good luck - hang in there and I promise it gets easier! :)
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I know it's tough but you can get through it. I went through it also. but after awhile you don't notice it.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    When I was starting this time around. I was starving. I also lost about 4 pounds in the first couple weeks (a lot for someone with not a lot to lose). I did end up increasing my calories after two weeks. That worked for a bit. I've just decreased my calories again and I feel much better this time.

I think my body needed to adjust a bit more slowly. However, I would wait a week or two before deciding to possibly increase your calorie limit. Decreasing your calories does make you hungry! And it should!

Eating lots of low calorie foods that can fill you up does help a ton. I'm in love with eating soup because many are low calorie so you can eat a lot of them!
  • Ashleybrooke8783
    Ashleybrooke8783 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a hangry girl. I just load up on veggies. My veggie portions are out of control, I'll have two or three cups of vegetables at dinner plus a huge salad and sometimes a fruit at breakfast. Whatever, I'm losing. And you will too just keep going. It gets better after first week
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your protein while staying within your daily calories. I keep hard boiled eggs on hand for a quick snack. Snacking on leftover meat or fish also helps fill me up (instead of high sugar that I love). Stay with it . . . it'll get easier.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, glad to see you taking the first steps towards a healthy lifestyle!

If you dont mind, I would like to give you some advice.

If you are feeling hungry and struggling, you may want to recheck your calorie goal. Struggling with hunger is an indicator that you may not be eating enough.

Eating only low calorie foods is tough for most people as they will crave their favorite foods. This can lead to eventual binging and giving up because you feel like a failure for binging and "ruining" your diet. Feel free to include your favorite foods and snacks, just in moderation and in a way that fits your calorie goals.

If you DO binge, dont give up. You did not ruin your diet. Weightloss is not about one bad day or even 20. Just pick yourself back up, dust off your pants, and continue on.
  • shakeray1173
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement!!
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think the first couple of weeks are the most difficult. Your mind and body are adjusting to the new diet. Since I've tried this a few times before I've noticed that, after a couple of weeks, I'm usually pretty happy and full. Like someone before me said, if you increase your intake of fruits and vegetables, you will not be hungry. The fiber content will fill you up like nobody's business. In fact, unless you want to be bloated and uncomfortably full, you probably want to slowly increase your plant intake. You may still crave junk, when you're having a bad day, but you won't be hungry. When I crave junk, I just call or message a friend until the feeling passes;)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and keep busy. I find my appetite is less after doing a 30 min workout so in the evening (my snacking time) I work out. Then when I sit I'm not looking for food out of boredom or habit.

Hang in there. I think most of the hunger thing is in my mind, not my stomach.