Started out with not much to lose? Advice?

Options
I started at 144 and my goal is 125, I'm at 136.2. For the better part of the last 5 years I have been between 132-136 and it's been a real challenge getting below 130. I'm just wondering has anyone else been successful at losing 10 - 15 pounds and keeping it off? I'm working out for 45 - 60 minutes a day, doing cardio mostly and I net 1,200 calories a day (1,700 intake total, minus 500 for exercise calories burnt). When I first started the first 6 pounds came off really fast but now it's been really slow going, this week only .5 and some weeks I gain.

Replies

• ABsolute85
    ABsolute85 Posts: 156
    Options
    It will come off much slower as you near your goal...just be patient and keep doing what you are doing...you may even try adding some variety to your workout routine or to your diet....
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Switch to strength training, and eat at a very slight deficit 6 days a week. Have a refeed meal once a week.

Here's a post on losing that last bit of weight.

http://leadingmuscle.com/2014/03/09/how-to-lose-those-last-5-pounds/
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Long steady state cardio won't do it if you only have a few pounds to go... Work your intervals and you'll 'git er done.'
  • sashafischang
    sashafischang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would add strength training. I have added three heavy lifting days per week (with the help and encouragement of my husband) and have been steadily losing 3 lbs per month over the past three months. I have about 16 lbs to go before I reach my goal. Before I added the strength training, I had plateaued for a while.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You can always try not eating your exercise calories. Yes, you can definitely lose it if you are eating the right amount of calories.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I only want to get to the middle of my healthy weight range after being slightly overweight for the past few years. 7kg to go and moving very slowly :grumble:
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started about the same as you with the same goal! Started at 142 with a goal of 125, am now sitting at 123 :) I could always get to 130-135 but getting lower than that seemed impossible! I workout about the same as you run and Jillian Michaels dvd's everyday, but I didn't get below 130 until I switched to a mostly Paleo diet. When I first started I was very strict but now that I am maintaining I just kind of follow the guideline :) Stick with it and you will get there!
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 1 month to lose .5lbs eating at a deficit and working out 3 times per week... It is incredibly slow! I would follow the advice to strength train. It has given my workouts a shake up and I have seen amazing results on this forum :)
  • veprice32809
    Options
    Add weight training & don't eat your workout calories. Just eat 1200 daily.
  • ticribbs
    ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Don't eat my exercise calories? It seems everywhere I've read you should eat them back and net at least 1,200 the bare minimum your body needs to function. I'm confused.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Don't eat my exercise calories? It seems everywhere I've read you should eat them back and net at least 1,200 the bare minimum your body needs to function. I'm confused.

Don't follow that advice. With only 10 lbs left to lose, a .5 lb loss is great! It will come off more slowly the less that you have to lose. The main thing at this point is to be consistent. Weigh and measure your food to be sure that you are really hitting your calorie goal, and be sure not to overestimate your calories burned from exercise. Remember that as you lose weight and get more efficient at your chosen exercise you may burn fewer calories by doing it. If you gain, then you aren't in a deficit- try reducing how much of your exercise calories you eat back- don't just stop eating them. But if you're losing .5 lbs per week, then you're doing just fine!

And I echo the suggestions to add in some weight lifting. Keeping your LBM will help you burn more calories, and you may find that you don't have to lose as much weight to reach your ideal shape/body image.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    There is no reason for her to increase her deficit with so little to lose.

OP: Are you using a digital food scale and weighing everything you eat? If not, you may be eating a bit more than you think. Because your body pulls less calories from fat the closer to goal weight you get, fat loss slows down which means it's critical to be as accurate with food intake as possible. With that said, the fact your weight fluctuates so regularly, it is likely temporary water weight responsible.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    There is no reason for her to increase her deficit with so little to lose.

OP: Are you using a digital food scale and weighing everything you eat? If not, you may be eating a bit more than you think. Because your body pulls less calories from fat the closer to goal weight you get, fat loss slows down which means it's critical to be as accurate with food intake as possible. With that said, the fact your weight fluctuates so regularly, it is likely temporary water weight responsible.

^ This, right here. I'm exactly where you are OP and I find that my WL slows down when I start fudging calorie counts or using my food scale sparingly.
  • ticribbs
    ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do need to get a food scale. At the current I try to get things that are either pre-packaged (and portioned) or I under guesstimate (at least I hope that's what I am doing). The only spot I could be really off is with the lunch meat for my sandwich during the week, I use a slice and a half which I account for .75 of a serving size of 2oz.