Weight loss after oral surgery

Options
I have lost a lot of weight since I had oral surgery to remove a wisdom tooth as I can't really eat (currently look like a cross between Quagmire from Family Guy and the Elephant Man) and my appetite is through the floor. In fact over the last 2 days the max calories I have consumed is 740 and I have lost 4lbs. I am trying to lose weight but I obviously don't plan to keep eating like this once I am a bit better. Will I go back to where I was before surgery once I start eating normally again or will I be able to start off again from where I currently am? I am doing TDEE -20%.

Replies

• sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have to get all four of my wisdom teeth out soon. I am dreading it, especially the not eating part.

I think just eat what you can for right now. Once you start getting your appetite back, you can bring in normal foods. I know the first couple of days are rough and people drink smoothies, puddings, yogurt, liquids, etc etc. Once you feel better just go back to what you were doing. You might have some water shifts, but they will go away.
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and good luck for the surgery. Pain wise is hasn't been too bad and is easily manageable with over the counter pain killers. The swelling however is not pretty at all so I can't eat and can barely talk. I work in a contact centre so I not exactly useful at the moment!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight since I had oral surgery to remove a wisdom tooth as I can't really eat (currently look like a cross between Quagmire from Family Guy and the Elephant Man) and my appetite is through the floor. In fact over the last 2 days the max calories I have consumed is 740 and I have lost 4lbs. I am trying to lose weight but I obviously don't plan to keep eating like this once I am a bit better. Will I go back to where I was before surgery once I start eating normally again or will I be able to start off again from where I currently am? I am doing TDEE -20%.

I also had a wisdom tooth out today. I purchased various protein powder shake formulas in preparation as they recommend the soft diet for a a few days. Icing my face, drinking through a straw and not even much of that.

I expect to drop a few lbs/kgs due to 3-5 days of a liquid diet and painkillers but when I return to eating normally, the majority of it will return/it will head back to where I was before the surgery. Maybe a normal loss of 1lb /week if I can stick to a calorie deficit.