IIFYM vs "a calorie is a calorie"

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
On the surface, these two concepts appear to be in direct opposition to one another. One says that it is important to have your nutrition coming from specific places. The other appears to say "Eat whatever you want as long as you don't go over on calories". Of course, I understand there is a big difference between general weight loss and body composition, but I don't think they are mutually exclusive. I have some opinions on the subject (which I will reserve, at least for now), but I was wanting to open the topic up for general discussion. I know both topics have been beat to death on the forums, but I rarely see them being compared to one another. For the record, this post was inspired by an MFP friend who just posted that she finally understands that IIFYM is more than just meeting a daily calorie goal and it got me thinking.

Replies

• BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I lost weight using the 'a calorie is a calorie' logic, most of my weight actually because I just started with iifym (not in its entirety, a lower carb version) less than a week ago. I feel absolutely incredible now that I'm getting more protein. At least I think that's why I feel so good lately.... time will tell ;0)
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Bump; I'm interested in the responses.
  • dibasketcase
    Options
    In my experience, a calorie is a calorie BUT how many calories I ingest in a day depends on the type I have eaten. I do better in eating less and feel better if my protein is high and the carbs are more moderate.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is generally more concerned with body recomposition or athletic performance. You can fine tune your macronutrients to your goals.

If your goal is simply to see the number on the scale go down, a calorie is just a calorie.
  • angraham2
    angraham2 Posts: 128
    Options
    What is IIFYM?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Essentially the only difference is that IIFYM requires a minimum protein and fat amount. Under both "diets" the dieter should also try and focus on mico nutrients (vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc) as they are also essential to good health.

And IIFYM is really only good if you set appropriate intakes of each macro, or would not be very different than a calorie is a calories if the ratio is wrong.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What is IIFYM?

If It Fits Your Macros (Fat, Carbs, Protein)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    On the surface, these two concepts appear to be in direct opposition to one another. One says that it is important to have your nutrition coming from specific places. The other appears to say "Eat whatever you want as long as you don't go over on calories". Of course, I understand there is a big difference between general weight loss and body composition, but I don't think they are mutually exclusive. I have some opinions on the subject (which I will reserve, at least for now), but I was wanting to open the topic up for general discussion. I know both topics have been beat to death on the forums, but I rarely see them being compared to one another. For the record, this post was inspired by an MFP friend who just posted that she finally understands that IIFYM is more than just meeting a daily calorie goal and it got me thinking.

I m confused by your comparison, because if you eat according to IIFYM a calorie is still a calorie. No matter how you eat for weight loss; dirty, clean, vegetarian, vegan, primal, paleo or East Cashubian modiefied caveman, or IIFYM, a calorie ( as a measurement of energy ) is always a calorie.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do sort of a combo of IIFYM and the calorie is a calorie method.
    I try to hit my macros while staying around my calorie goal (I have set my calories and macros myself to meet my personal needs). Seems to be working for me!
  • lporter229
    Options

I m confused by your comparison, because if you eat according to IIFYM a calorie is still a calorie. No matter how you eat for weight loss; dirty, clean, vegetarian, vegan, primal, paleo or East Cashubian modiefied caveman, or IIFYM, a calorie ( as a measurement of energy ) is always a calorie.

As I understand it, IIFYM relies on your calories coming from a specific combination (ratio) of protein, fat and carbs, which implies that the body will treat these types of calories differently.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

As I understand it, IIFYM relies on your calories coming from a specific combination (ratio) of protein, fat and carbs, which implies that the body will treat these types of calories differently.

The calories aren't "treated differently". 1g pro = 4 cals, 1g carbs = 4 cals, 1g fat = 9 cals. It's all calories. But you need protein for retaining lean body mass and you need fat for proper vitamin absorption.

ETA: I don't think ANYONE has ever argued these two AGAINST each other. They aren't mutually exclusive by any means. Calorie deficit is necessary for weight loss, proper macronutrition can impact what that weight loss looks like, i.e. retention of lean body mass. Proper macronutrition is also a pretty important issue when it comes to those who are training, whether it's powerlifting, endurance racing, bodybuilding, or other more traditional sports.
  • HoneydewLou
    Options
    In my experience, I have different results depending on what food sources I turn to. Also, putting weight loss aside, I know my athletic performance and my overall health improves when I get my calories from cleaner sources. I wouldn't give a crap if I lost 10lbs eating chocolate, at the end of the day I would feel like **** all the time.

Calories are not equal. Anyone who says they are doesn't practice what they preach. I would love to see a couple of the guys on here who don't agree with this logic eat the same amount of calories from burgers, chips, ice cream etc and report back to me. People like to say a calorie is a calorie but then they wouldn't dare try out the theory.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I have minimum protein and fat goals and I set my own fruit, veg and grain serving goals in order to meet my vitamin and mineral requirements. Then I can eat any carb I want (wine and chocolate to be exact) up to my calorie goal. I still need to track calories, otherwise I'll gain weight. So you're correct. The two are not mutually exclusive. I guess you could say I use IIFYM as my form of eating healthy 80-90% of the time while still being able to enjoy the not-so-healthy stuff in moderation.
  • lporter229
    Options

The calories aren't "treated differently". 1g pro = 4 cals, 1g carbs = 4 cals, 1g fat = 9 cals. It's all calories. But you need protein for retaining lean body mass and you need fat for proper vitamin absorption.

ETA: I don't think ANYONE has ever argued these two AGAINST each other. They aren't mutually exclusive by any means. Calorie deficit is necessary for weight loss, proper macronutrition can impact what that weight loss looks like, i.e. retention of lean body mass. Proper macronutrition is also a pretty important issue when it comes to those who are training, whether it's powerlifting, endurance racing, bodybuilding, or other more traditional sports.

We are essentially saying the same thing..that the body utilizes different types of food differently.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Both principles work, but I should think they also go beyond just what you consume (i.e. calories).

Although it is important to remember that whilst a calorie is a unit of energy not all calories consumed will be used as energy for the body.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options

We are essentially saying the same thing..that the body utilizes different types of food differently.

True, but calories are still calories. And roughly 3500 calories equals a pound so I don't really see why you're hoping for some educational debate to occur. Both camps say the same thing regarding WEIGHT loss.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I see them as two sides of the same coin. A calorie is a calorie, a gram of carbs is a gram of carbs. The general principle is still "you can eat whatever foods you want as long as the overall calorie and macro targets are met," as opposed to "you need this many calories and this many grams of carbs, protein, and fat, but you must not get them from this list of foods."

I think you will find that most people who really believe in IIFYM also really believe that a calorie is a calorie and that these are not really two separate theories but, rather, two parts of an overarching theory.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I do sort of a combo of IIFYM and the calorie is a calorie method.
    I try to hit my macros while staying around my calorie goal (I have set my calories and macros myself to meet my personal needs). Seems to be working for me!
    So then, that's just IIFYM. If your food fits your macros, you will automatically hit your calorie goal. If your calories are too high, you overate (at least) one of your macros and you didn't "fit" them. If your calories are too low, you underate (at least) one of your macros and you didn't fit them.

Glad it's working for you!
  • lporter229
    Options

True, but calories are still calories. And roughly 3500 calories equals a pound so I don't really see why you're hoping for some educational debate to occur. Both camps say the same thing regarding WEIGHT loss.

Not really. Weight loss and body composition are not two different things. I think that the idea that a 3500 calorie deficit will lose you a pound is over simplified. If I eat at a 500 calorie a day deficit for a month but I eat nothing but carbs I will probably not end up in the same place as if I ate at the same deficit eating nothing but protein. I just don't see it. It flies in the face of IIFYM.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options

Not really. Weight loss and body composition are not two different things. I think that the idea that a 3500 calorie deficit will lose you a pound is over simplified. If I eat at a 500 calorie a day deficit for a month but I eat nothing but carbs I will probably not end up in the same place as if I ate at the same deficit eating nothing but protein. I just don't see it.

"End up in the same place" is a very vague reference to how what and how much are eating effects you.

And the whole "eat nothing but one macro or type of food" argument is ridiculous anyway.