BIGGEST thing you have learned since tracking calories?

Options
Okay so I have been at this counting calories thing for about 20 days... a noob compared to some of you on here, yet I have already learned so much about my eating/excercise habits... whether trying to loose/gain weight, what is the biggest thing you have learned/taken away?

I'll go first.. I realized I never really was an unhealthy eater, in fact I eat healthier than most of my family and my friends. I love (and eat) plenty of veggies, fruits, chicken, fish, healthy fats and whatnot. I don't drink sodas or juices really. I juice, make green smoothies. I exercise 3-5 days a week... but I learned that my portions were out of control.. lol.. so for me I've had to learn what a good portion size is. I'm 4' 11" so I needed to eat small portions. Now that I actually started tracking I realized how much I was eatinng.. too much for me... so now although I haven't changed my diet (the foods i eat) I've learned PORTION CONTROL... because even if one eats healthy and exercises, you can still be overweight.. it really is calories in vs. calories out for a healthy weight...

I remember I used to eat until I was STUFFED.. but now I eat until I'm not hungry and just satisfied...

Now your turn... :)

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Using a digital food scale to weigh everything in grams is a real eye opener. Measuring spoons and cups are VERY deceitful.

Two of my staple foods are oats and peanut butter. One serving of oats is 40 grams which according to the label is 1/2 cup. No way. Weigh 40 grams using a food scale and you'll be shocked at how empty the measuring cup is. Same with peanut butter...a tablespoon holds A LOT more than the grams stated on the label.

If you're not using a digital food scale, you're eating way more than you think. It adds up quickly.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've learned that just because a package says 1/2 c (125g) is 100 calories that if you weight it <>1/2c

I've learned I can eat the food I want and not feel guilty

I've learned it's not about what you eat but about how much you eat.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    -I can eat foods that I like, not foods that are "low carb" "low fat" low..blah blah blah. As long as it fits my macros.

-I learned my eating habits, I like a big breakfast, lunch and a smaller dinner. It's just how I like to eat.

-I learned what an actual serving is...what a quarter cup of shredded cheese looks like versus what I thought it was before I measured. Yikes, I was thinking more along the lines of 3/4 cup.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I learned that one serving of cereal is measly and pathetic! Amongst other things. Also I learned that fruits and vegetables do indeed "count", and I can't just write the calories off because they're healthy.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I can eat a lot of food and still be at a deficit. It is about making the right choices at the right time.

Also, MODERATION! is my slogan.

I am never giving up alcohol, pizza, chinese food ... I am just NOT eating as much or as often.
  • vibhorka
    vibhorka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tracking and logging food has helped me realize that I can eat carbs more than I every thought I could because I can eat different vegetables, fruits etc and don't have to focus on grain/rice/pasta.

It is the greatest of freedom, being a diabetic realizing the options to eat better, without extreme measures.
  • BobbyJo28
    BobbyJo28 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've learned that there are good days and bad and most important is not giving up!! Its okay to go over your calorie count. That doesn't mean we are failures but we just need to refocus or have a splurge day.

I eat what I want and cook with different oils and such to make meals healthier and above all portion control :D

I feel its important to have encouragement and also to be the role model for friends/family. We all have a different lifestyle. There are some who are loosing 5 lbs to 50+ , but we all have a common goal "healthier lifestyle".
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When I exercise I CAN EAT MORE !!!!!
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    When I exercise I CAN EAT MORE !!!!!
    Word.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Don't creep on girls in the gym.
  • PrincessWarior
    PrincessWarior Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My sugar intake......
    Still trying to be "normal" but always in the -15 or more.
    :ohwell:
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've learned how much food I was eating!! I always thought I wasn't eating too badly, but once I learned what a serving of food was (as compared to what I THOUGHT it was) I was floored!!

I've learned that I need a lot less food to be full than I thought I did, and that the bursting at the seams feeling that I once aimed for does not equate to fullness and satisfaction.

I've learned that I don't have to follow a restrictive diet to lose, and I can eat food that I love in moderation and be happy and not miserable and hangry!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Using a digital food scale to weigh everything in grams is a real eye opener. Measuring spoons and cups are VERY deceitful.

Two of my staple foods are oats and peanut butter. One serving of oats is 40 grams which according to the label is 1/2 cup. No way. Weigh 40 grams using a food scale and you'll be shocked at how empty the measuring cup is. Same with peanut butter...a tablespoon holds A LOT more than the grams stated on the label.

If you're not using a digital food scale, you're eating way more than you think. It adds up quickly.

+1 :happy:
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I learned portion control !!!

Like you i was eating fairly healthy foods just way to much of them...LOL

So now that i have learned what a true portion looks like, i am well on my way to shrinking back down to my original size. :drinker:
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    I've learned that I know how to eat well and enjoy eating well, but that my portions are absolutely insane! It's still my biggest learning curve at the moment.

Oh, and that my digital scale was THE BEST £11.99 purchase I could have ever made...EVER. :wink:
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I wasn't eating enough. And when I was, I was eating crap.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I learned that one serving of cereal is measly and pathetic! Amongst other things. Also I learned that fruits and vegetables do indeed "count", and I can't just write the calories off because they're healthy.

This. I recently changed my serving size because it occurred to me that I definitely wasn't only eating 3/4 cup of cereal.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    That my downfall was soda and left overs.
  • rds011069
    rds011069 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have learned that an online calorie tracker is only as accurate as the people who are entering the data, so if you want be exact get a scale.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Same as you portions! I have always been a very healthy eater, I love fruit, veggies and chicken/fish I just ate too much.
    I have lost most of my weight by actually weighing and measuring out my food. Its crazy to me how I ate so much before, now I am so used to eating until I just feel satisfied is so nice. I used to do the whole eat till I was stuffed thing and dont miss that feeling at all.