Help Me Kick The Midnight Snacking Habit!

Options
When I got pregnant with my son I had to up my calorie intake and the easiest way I found to get those calories in was through midnight snacking (during one of the many, many bladder interruptions). I am now 3 weeks postpartum and I promised for Lent I would give up the midnight snacking (along with a few other vices) but I have been failing miserably. I have come to rely on yogurt, cheese & crackers, trail mix and teas at night to help me fall back asleep and now I can't sleep without! Anyone have any suggestions/advice on how to stop the midnight snacking when I am up every 2-3 hours with a newborn?

Replies

• gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't know, maybe chew a gum?
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if it fits into your calories, why stop it?
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    There is nothing anyone can do to help you. You, alone, have to decide how bad you want it. You aren't cheating anybody but yourself.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am bringing my calorie intake back down since I am no longer pregnant or breastfeeding. And I am well aware that this is an effort on MY part, I came looking for suggestions and advice or alternatives, but thanks.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options
    I am bringing my calorie intake back down since I am no longer pregnant or breastfeeding. And I am well aware that this is an effort on MY part, I came looking for suggestions and advice or alternatives, but thanks.

Have you considered popcorn? You can eat like 4 cups of some craps for around 100-150 calories.
    And tea shouldn't be a problem at all! If you need a little sugar and don't want the calories, try something like truvia. I would be careful if there's caffeine in it, though. I don't know what kind you drink.
    Gum might help. Pinterest helps distract me when I want to eat. So does lifting/stretching.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Lifesavers hard candy or any hard candy and a full glass of water would help u
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    a cup of beef broth. If you HAVE to snack eat vegetables.

yogurt and crackers are too many carbs for late at night. Even if you ate fruit... it turns into sugar/carbs. Try to stick to low calorie non starchy stuff like steamed veggies.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

yogurt and crackers are too many carbs for late at night. Even if you ate fruit... it turns into sugar/carbs. Try to stick to low calorie non starchy stuff like steamed veggies.

Lol. Saying things and pretending they're facts.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

She actually isn't too far off. The sugar content in yogurt is pretty high if you aren't paying attention to the label. Considering you've been on this site for a month maybe you should drop the "know it all" attitude.

OP maybe you should try just giving yourself a glass of milk to put you back to sleep and then transition into a glass of water if you would like to stop the late night snacking all together. Especially if your late night snacking is now a routine that helps you drift back to sleep taking in a glass of milk may help just as a late night feeding helps your baby drift back to sleep. Congrats on your new addition. :smile:
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

She actually isn't too far off. The sugar content in yogurt is pretty high if you aren't paying attention to the label. Considering you've been on this site for a month maybe you should drop the "know it all" attitude.

OP maybe you should try just giving yourself a glass of milk to put you back to sleep and then transition into a glass of water if you would like to stop the late night snacking all together. Especially if your late night snacking is now a routine that helps you drift back to sleep taking in a glass of milk may help just as a late night feeding helps your baby drift back to sleep. Congrats on your new addition. :smile:

I was referring to the "too many carbs for late at night."
    It doesn't matter what you eat when, and who are they to tell her something has too many carbs.
    I'm not denying that there are carbs in yoghurt.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    because carbs are best consumed when you are exerting energy, i.e are awake and in motion, doing a sport, and like things they are more beneficial. I'm not trying to speak for that poster but I agree with the fact that consuming something higher in carbs as a late night snake can sometimes negatively impact sleeping habits and weight loss. As those carbs aren't used for activity they are left to turn into sugars and aren't really useful. I would personally save that carbohydrate intake for a time when I will need the energy
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I had to snack in the middle of the night right after my baby was born, granted I was/am nursing, but I just had to eat. Just saying this so you know you're not alone....

Your body has gone through a lot, how old is your baby? maybe you still need the food?
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    oh 3 weeks?!? dude. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, give yourself a few more weeks!!! You just created a human and gave birth and likely lost blood amongst other things. Doctors tell you not too do too much until at least 6 weeks pp.

I would try putting together some prepackaged snacks of almonds or trail mix, at least then you would have something proportioned that was healthy, or just drink some tea.
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Are you eating because you feel hungry or are you just mindlessly eating? If it's the first one, try to have a slightly more filling dinner. If it's the second, then you're going to have to find a way to break that yourself. Maybe you can start by planning out your snacks earlier in the day and making sure that they fit into your calorie limit. Then, over time, you can slowly decrease the amount that you are snacking until it's none.
  • LuvonLuv
    LuvonLuv Posts: 68
    Options
    You know, I'm thinking it's just been 3 weeks for you, so just constantly have it in your head that you'd like to kick the habit, and I think as the baby's sleep schedule change later on, and you gradually regain a better sleep schedule...you'll find that habit becoming lesser and lesser of an occurrence. Don't stress yrself too much about that...now is time to cherish every moment of early motherhood, including this oncoming habit of midnight eating. Perhaps make it your goal to gradually ease off the habit rather than to suddenly kick it. You probably need the extra cals if you're breastfeeding anyway. Very soon, you'll be looking back at this very post and saying "those were the days". :wink:
  • jencroki
    jencroki Posts: 30
    Options
    hmmm try eating small meals during the day (3 main meals, 3 snacks)....you should be eating every 2-3 hrs anyway. Is not recommended to eat at night because even when awake your body is in a "rest state"...and normally we are not really hungry at night we are bored, drink water instead or a glass of milk :) once the baby schedule regulates you'll be fine, but the change comes from you and commit to do it.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I have found that the snacking has decreased significantly now that I am not only no longer breastfeeding, but that I am now more conscious when I wake up with the babies at night as opposed to those first few weeks when you are in zombie-mommy mode. I still enjoy a cup of tea with a little lemon crystal light in it on occasion (getting to warm for it now) and I brush my teeth right after dinner now which also helps to curb the snacking.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    when I feel like snacking, I surf the net. I come here and read success stories and mindless gibberish people post on the Chit chat forum. I make my meal plan for the next day. I search for recipes. In short, I visit my computer instead of the refrigerator.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    because carbs are best consumed when you are exerting energy, i.e are awake and in motion, doing a sport, and like things they are more beneficial. I'm not trying to speak for that poster but I agree with the fact that consuming something higher in carbs as a late night snake can sometimes negatively impact sleeping habits and weight loss. As those carbs aren't used for activity they are left to turn into sugars and aren't really useful. I would personally save that carbohydrate intake for a time when I will need the energy
    Absolute nonsense.

Carbs are turned into sugar once you eat them. They don't wait around to be turned into sugar. Your body burns sugar 24 hours a day, sugar is very useful (some might even say vital) to the human body at all times. There's no time when you aren't exerting energy, other than death. Also, carbs are actually the food of choice for sleep aid. It's fat that interferes with sleep.