Are you looking for a new workout?

Options
Stay with me through my rant, I'm actually going to deliver some meaningful workout directions for you. I was in the gym this morning working through my squats, and one of the "trainers" at my gym walks up to the squat rack next to mine with a new customer who was looking for instruction. He apparently was walking her through her first workout, and was going to show her how to squat. He does a great job of encouraging her to go light first, and how valuable full squats are, and then proceeds to perform several sets of half squats (with light weight, not less). Of course the young lady does her sets, not even going as low as the "trainer", and then they left to go to their next station. To add insult to injury, they left the weights on the bar as they walked off.

Look, if you are here on MFP, you're probably wondering what workout to do, and how you should do the exercises correctly for the most impact. Don't talk to Bubba at the gym for directions, particularly if he looks like he's competing for this year's donut-eating competition. Google Stronglifts 5 x 5 or New Rules of Lifting (they have both a Mens and womens version). Both of these are outstanding introductory programs. Never lifted before? No problem. Go to Youtube and look up training videos on compound lifts like squats and deadlifts. Don't be overwhelmed by trying to lift a lot of weight. You won't be able to in the beginning, and you may never have to in order to hit your fitness goals. Go easy into the routines (both of the recommended ones start very light and progress at a comfortable pace). Make it a point to go every other day. Rest. Get enough sleep. Eat the right kinds of food. If you follow either of these routines, you'll see progress and maybe even find out you enjoy lifting. And get feedback from people who know what they are doing. Talk to people who have credibility and results. You'll find that lifting can be a terrific way to energize your weight loss and reform your body.

By the way, these aren't the only "Good Introductory" programs. But they are two that work, and you'll find many people here who can give you feedback on them. Stay away from the posers and good lifting.

Replies

• aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd read this post a year ago when I first started out. I just started New Rules of Lifting 6 weeks ago and I love it! My only previous foray into lifting was with an inexperienced trainer that ended with a serious back injury 3 weeks in from terrible form and weights way too heavy for a beginner to be dead lifting. Not only did I spend more money on physical therapy than I had for the gym membership, it totally turned me off of lifting.

This time I'm taking it very slowly and will probably never "lift heavy" but I'm enjoying it and seeing results. I'm stronger and the inches are coming off. I highly recommend the program. Thanks for a good post!
  • powellJulie1
    powellJulie1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    .... it' s funny I had a trainer in Houston ( 3 yrs ago I lived there) at the 24 hour fitness, and he was not so in shape himseelf and he made me squats and till this day I read more about physical activities and I am better informed, but still for some reason I always second guess my form with squats... anyway , was wondering if it was him.. Because It is not with him I lost my weight!!! I did it bu myself ... much cheaper program...