Orthorexia Nervosa: the new eating disorder

Options

Replies

• amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I study nutrition, and I'm pretty sure there are people in my class who suffers from this.

There is particulary one guy who I worry about. Everytime I hear from him, he's put in an extra rule to his diet. There are probably only a handfull of foods left that he can eat.

First he was vegan, which is all fine and easily manageable. Then he became raw vegan, ok, starting to get more difficult. Then he became 80/10/10. Then he specifies it further that it's not just 80/10/10 by the end of the day, each individual thing can have no more than 10% fat or protein. Then he also restricted his fiber intake exessively (no cabbages or it's relatives, no roots etc.). Then he also believes the body cannot consume more than one thing - so each meal has to be only one igredient - now I think he's even doing only 1 ingredient per day. And it's only soft mushy fruit.

We study nutrition, and he's not afraid to speak up and say that he certainly hope we won't go out and claim that health and drinking cow-tit-extract are possible together etc., and if we want to waste our lives with having a beer on a friday, then we know what's coming to us.

He sounds like a blast to party with. :drinker:

He doesn't want to party with us, he won't be associated with such filthy and deadly habits! He'll sit at home and gnaw on a sun dried date

I hope he isn't going to go out after he graduates and preach his eating habits on other people! awful!

I'm worried about that too, my mom needs a dietician (she has histamine intolorance, which means she's actually allergic to everything in varying degrees, and her symptoms are severe), and when I told her about this guy and some of the others in my class, she was really worried about if she would risk getting a dietician like that.

Though I can't imagine that he'll manage to complete his degree, unless he unexpectenly does a 180 - Sooner and later either he or the proffesors will be sick of his 'opinion' contradicting the facts too often.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    From my personal standpoint, I have HAD to watch what I eat due to Celiac Disease for over 10 years, and now I'm being careful and watching what I eat because I'm trying to be more fit and lose weight. With the restrictions from Celiac, I really DON'T want to become any more obsessed than I have to be to manage the Celiac. I have always stated that Celiac (for me!!) is a condition that can be controlled, and I refuse to be defined by that alone. There is so much more to me than not being able to go out for pizza or burgers.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

Sharon
  • RawrImaDinoImaEachu
    Options

Its stupid and just another money maker for them to say people that are very conscience about what they put in their mouth and body is an eating disorder.

Most Dr's want their patients to be mindful of what goes in their mouth and is digested through their bodies.

My husband and I eat out within the guidelines of our eating plan, we cook most of our meals, buy the highest quality foods that we can afford and search out healthy ways of living.

If that is a disorder, I am happy to have it.
    Agreed...if being mindful of what I eat on a daily basis is bad...all I have to say is being fat is bad and now being focused is bad...then what is right? For those of us who have a lot to lose we just cant win. Perhaps its people at their goal weight but even when I reach it I will always be mindful of my food and excercise because I can go right back to being unhealthy very quickly. I know because I did that. I dont see anything wrong with being focused on what one eats and doesnt eat. It is a daily struggle for me and always will be. It doesnt mean I have an eating disorder. It just means my way of life is eating healthy. And I dont see anything wrong with that.

Sometimes I think people (professionals) just want us to be fat, unhappy and sick. So no matter which way we go someone will be there to say, "Hey, there is something wrong with you."

My husband and I have to be pretty mindful of what we put in our bodies. His blood pressure is out of control (resistant hypertension) and I have a slew of issues (PCOS, T2 Diabetes, Thyroid issues, Lupus).

Choosing to Just Eat Real Food and ditch the processed foods is making a world of difference in our health and reducing our inflammation factors.

We are grown adults who work. We will choose what we put into our bodies. That is our right to do so. At least that is one right that hasn't been taken away from us yet.

The thing the three of you are missing is the difference between watching what you eat and this disorder. This person put it brilliantly
    I think there's an obvious and clear difference between choosing to live a healthy lifestyle and having this disorder. Those of you who turn down cake at a birthday party aren't remotely captured by this definition. In fact, the symptoms are very similar to anorexia.

- Continually cutting out foods that are not "pure"
    - Feeling out of control, disgusting and like a failure if you eat "impure" foods
    - A euphoric feeling of control when eating your chosen "pure" foods
    - Food purity having no strong link to what is actually nutritionally sound
    - Spending the majority of your thought power and waking hours on planning your meals and foods

etc etc... it's obvious this is far closer to OCD-spectrum disorders with ruminating thoughts and obsessive rituals than being targeted at people who are just eating healthy.

So, basically I think that sounds like a disorder to me. If you can't stop obsessing over it and think about anything else, it's a disorder. Granted, obsessive personalities could really get obsessed with anything, so maybe there's an argument to be made that it's not worth making a new disorder for everything an obsessive persion gets obsessed with.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think there's an obvious and clear difference between choosing to live a healthy lifestyle and having this disorder. Those of you who turn down cake at a birthday party aren't remotely captured by this definition. In fact, the symptoms are very similar to anorexia.

- Continually cutting out foods that are not "pure"
    - Feeling out of control, disgusting and like a failure if you eat "impure" foods
    - A euphoric feeling of control when eating your chosen "pure" foods
    - Food purity having no strong link to what is actually nutritionally sound
    - Spending the majority of your thought power and waking hours on planning your meals and foods

etc etc... it's obvious this is far closer to OCD-spectrum disorders with ruminating thoughts and obsessive rituals than being targeted at people who are just eating healthy.

So, basically I think that sounds like a disorder to me. If you can't stop obsessing over it and think about anything else, it's a disorder. Granted, obsessive personalities could really get obsessed with anything, so maybe there's an argument to be made that it's not worth making a new disorder for everything an obsessive persion gets obsessed with.

What most people don't get is that it can and does take over your life. For those who say "I'm happy to have this." does your throat constrict if you think you might go over calories? Is it bad enough to give you a panic attack? Would you punish yourself for days for this if you did go out? For most people here, most likely not. Therein lies why many people don't understand eating disorders. For what it's worth, I used to be mindful and I did lose weight (without counting calories), but there were certain factors that made the wheels fall off.

I know I sure as heck didn't understand anything until I admitted to myself that I have this, but luckily I caught it early. And whether you want to call it orthorexia nervosa, anorexia athletica, or something else it really doesn't matter.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Wow, there is a lot of misunderstanding about eating disorders and misunderstandings by posters.

Nobody is saying that eating healthy and exercising regularly is a disorder.

What this is, is that doctors have realized that the same mental thoughts processes are happening in a small minority of people who are healthy as they are in people with other eating disorders such as anorexia.

Eating disorders are a type of mental disorder, often associated with the person feeling like they have no control in their lives and trying to gain back control by controlling exactly what they eat.

When these people feel like control has been taken away from them, e.g. if they are at a restaurant where they don't know exactly what is in their food, they start to panic as they start to feel like their life is completely out of control.

That is my understanding anyway.
  • Cappuccino2014
    Options
    Life's about balance; if your life is dominated by food and exercise to the detriment of other important areas I personally feel that's 'disordered' if it meets criteria for mental health diagnosis or not
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It's not a 'new' ED; the phrase was coined in the 90s.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to get your opinion on this. Since all this 'fitspo' stuff started on instagram I couldn't help but think it was actually unhealthy. Some of the pictures/comments are promoting eating NOTHING but whole/healthy foods and exercising excessively.

I started to follow fitness accounts on instagram and was shocked how many people''s lives were taken over by eating healthy and exercising. Don't get me wrong, I'm a self confessed gym bunny and consider it my hobby, but I have no problem eating a chocolate bar every day with my lunch or going out for food/getting takeaway at the weekend.

I was thinking to myself this is an eating disorder... yeah it isn't anorexia or bulimia but it's an obsession that rules peoples lives, i was reading one blog where the writer was SO fitness obsessed she would turn down drinks with her friends/meals, even though she had her 'perfect body'.

I found this post on the blog Chocolate Covered Katie:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/03/01/orthorexia-nervosa-the-new-eating-disorder/

I completely agree that this is a from of eating disorder. I don't want you to think that I'm saying eating healthy and being dedicated is a bad thing, as I am totally into that way of life myself; but when it BECOMES your life even after you've reached your goal weight and you can't enjoy the little things in life then what's the point?

Would love to know your opinions :)

Its stupid and just another money maker for them to say people that are very conscience about what they put in their mouth and body is an eating disorder.

Most Dr's want their patients to be mindful of what goes in their mouth and is digested through their bodies.

My husband and I eat out within the guidelines of our eating plan, we cook most of our meals, buy the highest quality foods that we can afford and search out healthy ways of living.

Agreed!! We must all have some kind of issue because apparently 'everything' is somehow some kind of disorder!!
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I would say anytime you have to embarass your kid to refuse a piece of birthday cake that you are medicaly cleared to consume or have a food scale with you at a restaurant...you might have orthorexia nervosa.

If you've ever trimmed the fat on a boneless chicken breast...you might have orthorexia nervosa.

If you'll eat a cake from whole foods but won't eat a salad at mcdonalds...you might have orthorexia nervosa.

Um... My hubby trims the fats off of his meats and poultry and he doesn't have this so called "disorder"! And who would tell their kid that they can't have a piece of cake? ????
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Well, this looks like a fun thread . . . No really, I'm in.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The level of ignorance (by some) in this thread astounds me.

Take Anorexia Nervosa. It is, to put it very simply, an extreme fear of gaining weight. I'm sure none of you here who are trying to lose weight want to see the number on the scale go up, right? That doesn't mean you're suffering from AN though.

Like AN, orthorexia is a complex, psychological condition, and just like anorexia nervosa, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with food: that's just the symptom of the problem.

/end rant.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to get your opinion on this. Since all this 'fitspo' stuff started on instagram I couldn't help but think it was actually unhealthy. Some of the pictures/comments are promoting eating NOTHING but whole/healthy foods and exercising excessively.

I started to follow fitness accounts on instagram and was shocked how many people''s lives were taken over by eating healthy and exercising. Don't get me wrong, I'm a self confessed gym bunny and consider it my hobby, but I have no problem eating a chocolate bar every day with my lunch or going out for food/getting takeaway at the weekend.

I was thinking to myself this is an eating disorder... yeah it isn't anorexia or bulimia but it's an obsession that rules peoples lives, i was reading one blog where the writer was SO fitness obsessed she would turn down drinks with her friends/meals, even though she had her 'perfect body'.

I found this post on the blog Chocolate Covered Katie:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/03/01/orthorexia-nervosa-the-new-eating-disorder/

I completely agree that this is a from of eating disorder. I don't want you to think that I'm saying eating healthy and being dedicated is a bad thing, as I am totally into that way of life myself; but when it BECOMES your life even after you've reached your goal weight and you can't enjoy the little things in life then what's the point?

Would love to know your opinions :)

Agreed!! We must all have some kind of issue because apparently 'everything' is somehow some kind of disorder!!

Of course we don't all have to have some kind of issue.

If you eat healthily and exercise and your life is under control, you do not have this disorder.
    Whether it is an eating disorder or a form of OCD, probably partly each.

That's as silly and ignorant as saying 'My house is messy, I wish I had OCD' or 'I like to keep my house clean, if this is OCD I'm happy to have it'

Some posters seem to have no understanding of mental illness.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    How can they sell you pills if they can't convince you that you are disordered?
  • Honeycat89
    Honeycat89 Posts: 149
    Options
    It's crazy how people are saying they want this disorder! YOU DO NOT HAVE A DISORDER IF YOU EAT HEALTHY!! Read the link in the 1st post.
  • erikayblue
    erikayblue Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree that the difference is the mindset and whether or not what you're doing makes sense. Mental disorders often make people more likely to do things that don't make actual sense out of fear. For instance, let's say you were on vacation for 2 weeks in a country that does not have very much organic produce available and all you could find was non-organic. Obviously, it's best to eat organic, but someone with this disorder would chose to eat nothing for 2 weeks rather than compromise and have some non-organic produce because they have become so obsessed that the fear of "unclean" foods terrifies them to the point of irrational behavior.
  • erikayblue
    erikayblue Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think my boss must have this, He has lost over 100lbs and now tells everyone how much he exercises and what he eats, he even brings stuff to restaurants like dressing for his salad and such, he won't ever eat anything that anyone brings into the office, even if its fruit or somewhat healthy, I know he is afraid of gaining all that weight back, so I understand, but it sure gets irritating that he is always talking about it!

I dont eat anything brought into the office
    damn straight I bring my own MEASURED salad dressing to the restaurant
    and yes I tell (and post pictures of) everyone what I eat.

And yes I woud bring a food scale to the restaurant, but my BF wont let me.

I dont have control over many things in life that I would like to. i DO have control of my health and well being and part of that comes from knowing and deciding what goes into my mouth.

DO i eat out? Rarely
    Do I have a drink? On occasion if I can make it fit

Do I feel I am going over board with it? Maybe sometimes

There are worse neurosis for me to have. Happy to have this one.
    [/quote

Yeah, I don't agree that taking food scales to a restaurant is an indication of this disease but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's when people actually HARM themselves. It's when the person's food scale breaks and they are waiting in the mail for a new one so they don't eat for 3 weeks because they can't measure their food.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Why would any one be embarrassed to refuse or be around anyone who refused cake? I would be more impressed at their will power. This is why peer pressure gets people to do stupid things. If refusing cake embarrasses someone I hate to see what else they might do just to avoid being embarrassed. LOL

I'm with you on this one! I have the right to refuse birthday cake - and it shouldn't embarrass my kid because we've taught him that forced social eating is not a good habit. If you don't want it, politely say "no thank you" and move along.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Actual "eating disorder"? I don't think it really qualifies.

Making someone unf*ckably annoying? Indeed.