Bulking Goals

Options
I was just wondering what kind of targets people set themselves when bulking...

I have messed up somewhere and set my calories a bit high (3400 + excercise cals) and seem to have gained just under 2lbs a week. I started off at about 13%bf after losing weight steadily for a couple of years (with lifting for at least the last year of that) and 168lbs - I started bulking proper at the beginning of feb and now weigh 182lbs. I had originally thought I might bulk for 3 months, but am starting to reconsider (I know people abandon bulks when they get fat and this is generally not a good thing).

I have put my cals down to 3250, and was thinking of moving down to maintenance for April (I will be busy with work - will still lift but not much time for anything else).

Do you generally have a weight target or a timeframe target when bulking?

I'm running out of trousers that fit.....:bigsmile:

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I set mine up for 4-6 months and roughly 15 lbs of total gain.

I was moving about a month before I started- and threw out everything that was 2 sizes to big- which I deeply regret as now the only thing that fits are stretchy pants skirts and a handful of dresses - that I am recieving ENDLESS flack for wearing in the winter.

I like having a min/max to shoot for- and knowing I need to hit maintenance or cut there after. I'm going to organize this summer "bulk" and "cut" clothing- I have a basement- and no need to have a closet full of clothes that don't fit.

I think it's a slightly bigger issue for girls- stuff tends to be cut a little closer and less generously for frames with muscle- but I can imagine it's not easy for you guys either.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    JoRocka knows what is up. If she has any guidance she is a good person to follow.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I started at the beginning of the year, aiming to stop in May, just putting on whatever I can. Which has proved to be a lot harder then I thought!! I've only added 3lbs(175-178), mind you I did catch a nasty virus and lost 5lbs in February, so had to gain that back.

I wish I would be gaining just under 2lbs/week hahaha.....

I might cut the bulk a few weeks short, it's getting harder and harder to constantly eat....I will miss the gains on my lifts tho!!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I set mine up for 4-6 months and roughly 15 lbs of total gain.

Seeing as I'm a feller, I might therefore go for 20lbs or something. Thankfully, I made new holes in my belt (tight fisted, I know...) as I got smaller as opposed to buying a new, smaller belt....

I could just live in sweatpants, I know thats a good look...:bigsmile:

It certainly feels like I have made muscle gains along with fat - I am a completly different shape to the last time I weighed this much.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

I might cut the bulk a few weeks short, it's getting harder and harder to constantly eat....I will miss the gains on my lifts tho!!

I really really thought that it was going to be, and actually it was harder coming off my cut - I went down to 1900 which I know now was far too low and moving to maintenance, once I got there, I just kind of picked up speed.

I like eating....oh, and beer. :drinker:
  • jwmorgan307
    jwmorgan307 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can bulk and stay lean by adjusting you carbs vs. protein intake, you want to make sure to add carbs on workout day and to minimize carbs on non-workout days. Now this being said when you want to get the cut look with paper thin skin for summer you will lower your carbs to less then 10% and fill the rest with protein (about 4 weeks of this), then carb load or go back to the first program and bam lean , muscular and rounded. (8 days into program and I have gone from 215 to 220 lbs, thats 5lbs a week so far!).
  • steve0820
    Options

I really really thought that it was going to be, and actually it was harder coming off my cut - I went down to 1900 which I know now was far too low and moving to maintenance, once I got there, I just kind of picked up speed.

I hear ya, I like eating as well and beer haha,

....but my maintenance is about 3000 right now, scale has only been moving if I'm 3200-3500!! Which I found some days can be tough

So i'm assuming my cut won't be to bad at all, i'll have to see how much when I get there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

....but my maintenance is about 3000 right now, scale has only been moving if I'm 3200-3500!! Which I found some days can be tough

So i'm assuming my cut won't be to bad at all, i'll have to see how much when I get there.

mhmmm beer.

I always make sure I have once a week a 2-3 beer + pizza night- makes sure I up my average for the week. Usually Friday nights when I'm not working- I'm tired- and I just want to hang out- so I get frozen pizza and have at least one single serving (single serving = 1 pizza heh) and then all the beerzies. Then go hammar the gym on Saturday.

I have found the first month or so is easier- than after that it's like okay I got this- than now toward the end- JESUSEFFINGCHRIST WHY SO MUCH FOOD.

I DON"T WANT TO EAT THIS MUCH!!!!

That cutting bit- i like to have a maintenance period- I'm pretty conservative- I seem to like 2-3 week adjustment periods- some people can manage with 1-2 but I have found 2-3 works for me physically and mentally. Makes the step up or down a smoother transition.
  • steve0820
    Options

mhmmm beer.

I always make sure I have once a week a 2-3 beer + pizza night- makes sure I up my average for the week. Usually Friday nights when I'm not working- I'm tired- and I just want to hang out- so I get frozen pizza and have at least one single serving (single serving = 1 pizza heh) and then all the beerzies. Then go hammar the gym on Saturday.

I have found the first month or so is easier- than after that it's like okay I got this- than now toward the end- JESUSEFFINGCHRIST WHY SO MUCH FOOD.

I DON"T WANT TO EAT THIS MUCH!!!!

That cutting bit- i like to have a maintenance period- I'm pretty conservative- I seem to like 2-3 week adjustment periods- some people can manage with 1-2 but I have found 2-3 works for me physically and mentally. Makes the step up or down a smoother transition.

Yup, weekend are beers and half a frozen pizza for me haha. Pretty much threating weekends as a free for all right now.

I think thats a good idea about going to maintenance 2-3 weeks in between bulk and cut, won't seem as dramatic that way
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I think for myself, I will look in August to start upping my calories.
    No sense in putting on weight now with summer around the corner.....

So I have to also figure out the best way to set my goals, and also get over the mind game that comes with it.......
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    They key is to aim to gain 0.5 per week. That weight you might have to cut for 4 weeks to look shredded again. There is no way your body will produce 1 pounds of muscle in a week naturally!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Men can gain 12-20 pounds of muscle over the course of a year. Aim for .5 pounds a week, and plan to bulk for at least a year, possibly 2, depending on your starting point and how much muscle you want to add.

For a woman, 9-12 pounds of muscle in a year is about all a woman can hope for under ideal conditions. Also aim for .5 pounds a week and bulk for 6 months to a year but expect to put on more fat than a man.

Five or so pounds of any bulk or cut is probably glycogen, so if you don't bulk long enough, you're not going to see the gains when you cut.

I'm 4 months in to my bulk and have added 8 pounds. I'm still the same clothing size I was when I started my bulk, but the clothes are a little bit tighter. I'm dropping to maintenance April 5 (five month mark) and staying at maintenance for a month or so. Then I will decide whether I want to continue to bulk.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Well, my goal is 0.5 to 0.8 lbs per week from this point forward and for the next few months. Still upping calories to find the optimal range. I'm pretty close now to the tipping point.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    Men can gain 12-20 pounds of muscle over the course of a year. Aim for .5 pounds a week, and plan to bulk for at least a year, possibly 2, depending on your starting point and how much muscle you want to add.

Bit late for that for me, now.

As of this morining: 185lbs...thats 19lbs on in the space of just under 2 months.

I think I have added an inch to my waist and can no longer fit in 30" trousers. However, plenty of room in the 32s I have knocking about.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

As of this morining: 185lbs...thats 19lbs on in the space of just under 2 months.

I think I have added an inch to my waist and can no longer fit in 30" trousers. However, plenty of room in the 32s I have knocking about.

We can definitely learn from each other. I was going too slow, you were going too fast...
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

19 pounds in 2 months with only an inch gain in the waist aint too shabby.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

It'll be interesting to see how much muscle I have gained when I cut again. I am quite surprised at the rate of gain, especially as I Farm for a living and spend a lot of time on my feet.

Ah well, I enjoyed the beer and the pizza.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options

If you only put an inch on your waist with a 19 lb. weight gain, then keep doing what you're doing. I usually put an inch on my waist for every 5-7 lbs gained while bulking at 1 pound per week.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Measuring your waist is the way to go.

I'm 6'1" 200ish. For me 1/4" in the waist = 1 lb fat gain.

I try to gain no more than an inch in the waist per bulk. I can cut 1" off the waist in 2 weeks with hard work, easily within 3 weeks.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

It'll be interesting to see how much muscle I have gained when I cut again. I am quite surprised at the rate of gain, especially as I Farm for a living and spend a lot of time on my feet.

Ah well, I enjoyed the beer and the pizza.

Keep in mind, some of that weight is from water gains and food in your digestive system (since you're eating more). Higher carbs, higher sodium and even more intense workouts (from increased energy) all contribute to higher water retention. I gained 7lbs my first week. But then it slowly leveled out. What has your weight done the last few weeks? If it's close to your weekly goal you're probably fine.